Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Box to Stream any Video Format from USB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

I have a Roku which is great except for the USB video streaming. It recognizes very few video formats. Does anyone know of a cheap streaming box that will connect via HDMI to my TV and allow me to play virtually any video file from my external hard drive? I don't like connecting the hard drive to the computer because then I lose out on the computer AND no remote to sit on the couch. Basically, a "VLC Box!"
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:44 am

Have you tried Plex? You can just install Plex server on your PC and watch your media on your Roku Plex Channel.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:50 am

I know this is a PITA, but 99.99999% of all files that I've converted from *.* to mp4 (yes even as low as 720p, 25fps) play without any problems when I connect an external HD to my Roku3 & Roku4.

HBU?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Have you looked into DLNA? I have a DLNA server on my computer. I connect to it via a DLNA client and stream the files. It all happens in the background so my computer is still usable.

I use Universal Media Server but there are a lot of other DLNA servers out there.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Need
Have you tried Plex? You can just install Plex server on your PC and watch your media on your Roku Plex Channel.
With Plex, don't I need my computer to be constantly running? I'd like to find a solution that never requires my computer. (I understand there's Plex Cloud but I plead ignorance on it.)

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
I know this is a PITA, but 99.99999% of all files that I've converted from *.* to mp4 (yes even as low as 720p, 25fps) play without any problems when I connect an external HD to my Roku3 & Roku4.

HBU?
If we were talking about 1 or 2 movies, then fine. But I have quite an extensive selection and it would take a loooooooooooooong time to convert them.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
With Plex, don't I need my computer to be constantly running? I'd like to find a solution that never requires my computer. (I understand there's Plex Cloud but I plead ignorance on it.)
Only when you are watching TV. You could do the Plex Cloud which uses Amazon Cloud Drive, but you need to pay for storage and you will need to move the files to Amazon Cloud Drive.. seems more work than just turning on the computer.

I am sure you could also get an android base box that would play all type of video format, but I just don't know any myself. I know Plex works with many formats.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:59 am

If your .mp4's are at a relatively low bitrate and can stream over USBv2.0, you might look into a Raspberry Pi 3B with Kodi. I picked one up for RetroPie, but also installed Kodi. With a sturdy case, SDHC card and power supply* it should run you around $50 and is as portable as a tin of Altoids.

The only challenge that comes to mind is the hardware to control Kodi. You need something like a game pad or keyboard for that, or perhaps an app like this one.

And with RetroPie, you potentially have access to thousands of old-school video games

* I actually use an iPad Air charger and 24ga micro-USB cable to power mine and have plenty of current to spare.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Intel compute stick?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAE835Z17520
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:18 am

with kodi in the news I stick with showbox and/or terrarium tv (sp).

hbu?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.