Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
Apple's announcement is the 12th, so we'll see how close the 7s, 7s Plus, and "8" rumors are. I think Apple needs a big leap with the 7s series. There will be a fleet of early adopters on the "8", but at that price point I think it will act like a halo car - lots of press, not so much sale, revenue or profit. Lots of 6 and 6s users will need to see a real reason to upgrade.
OLED and the bezel-less display would be pretty big upgrades on their own. Tempered of course by getting rid of Touch ID entirely in favor of facial recognition.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I don't know about getting the iPhone without TouchID.

You just know next year they'll have the fingerprint scanner under the screen.

I've had the 6S Plus for 2 years now. If even the 7S Plus offers good internals, like the same SOC with 3 GB RAM and the same camera modules, I'll at least go for that.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by tmiw
OLED and the bezel-less display would be pretty big upgrades on their own.
For those who like "specs and features on paper", IMHO. In the real world, checking email, SMS, Instagram, etc., isn't going to do much. If for some reason a phone is your home theater, the 18:9 ratio means you lose the screen area on normal video, and you're watching a 4.7" picture - exactly the same as the iPhone 7 (and 7s, presumably). So you paid $400 for OLED black strips and header area. For $200 less, you could get a 7s Plus with 35% more video viewing area.

But I'm sure a lot of "specs and features" folks will buy them day 1 - I just don't think it has legs in the market.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:42 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Ordered my Note 8 from Verizon Friday, shipped on Saturday. Received $240 credit for turning in my old Note 4. Just in time as it was on it's last legs.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
For those who like "specs and features on paper", IMHO. In the real world, checking email, SMS, Instagram, etc., isn't going to do much. If for some reason a phone is your home theater, the 18:9 ratio means you lose the screen area on normal video, and you're watching a 4.7" picture - exactly the same as the iPhone 7 (and 7s, presumably). So you paid $400 for OLED black strips and header area. For $200 less, you could get a 7s Plus with 35% more video viewing area.

But I'm sure a lot of "specs and features" folks will buy them day 1 - I just don't think it has legs in the market.
OLED would help with battery life--if the UI is mostly in dark colors, that is. Unfortunately I'm not sure Apple will ever implement a dark mode in iOS, so the battery life advantage might be minimal.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Really thinking about the new Blackberry KeyOne. A dedicated BB user for years until well,,, they just couldn't cut it. Now it seems like this one has the potential to really perform. Has anyone got this device yet? If so, anything to be aware of??

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

I think the hundreds or thousands of stories since the beginning of the year about the "special" iPhone will drive sales, not specs, which isn't the game Apple plays.

It will be about the looks, the bezel-less design, etc.

These are features which have existed from other manufacturers but Apple attracts brand loyalty.

Even the face authentication, which is the result of the inability to get fingerprint authentication through the screen, will excite some people.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

Quite the non sequitur when you're responding to a comment about the iPhone 8 and suddenly start drifting into a rant on non-Apple devices.

Re: pricepoint the MSRP on the iPhone 7 is $649 and iPhone 7 Plus currently retails for a cool $769 on the Apple website. LG G6 is $699. GS8 is $725 and GS8+ is $825.

I don't know what phones you're comparing, but the iPhones are right there in terms of price with its competitors. I don't expect the 7s Plus to be any less expensive that the current 7 Plus. If anything, it might see a slight price bump - especially given the iPhone 8 price speculation that it will START at $1000, which is more on par with the Note 8.

At the end of the day, people will have their preferences, whether it be the latest and greatest out of Cupertino or the next big thing rocking Android. You can have this age-old argument to your heart's content, but it won't change anyone's minds, especially not here on the internet.

EDIT: So the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are basically what I referred to above as the 7s and 7s Plus; and the speculation around pricing for the iPhone 8 = actual pricing for the iPhone X.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Sep 12, 2017 at 2:20 pm Reason: new iphones debuted
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Two weeks in, the definitive answer to this thread's opening premise is "Samsung Galaxy Note 8". That is all.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm still really torn on the device to get. I've been swapping between an iPhone SE and an HTC 10, they both are completely adequate, albeit looking a bit dated (especially on the SE), but I can't seem to justify doing an upgrade.

T-Mobile has the Z2 on sale for $500 plus a free projector, but the reviews on that have been mixed. Considering an iPhone 8, but still not quite sure if I want a glass backed 6s, I'd just get another 6s, but not sure about that either. The iPhone X doesn't interest me in the least. And I'm done with Samsung.

Might just wait until next year, though I said that last year too.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I'm still really torn on the device to get. I've been swapping between an iPhone SE and an HTC 10, they both are completely adequate, albeit looking a bit dated (especially on the SE), but I can't seem to justify doing an upgrade.

T-Mobile has the Z2 on sale for $500 plus a free projector, but the reviews on that have been mixed. Considering an iPhone 8, but still not quite sure if I want a glass backed 6s, I'd just get another 6s, but not sure about that either. The iPhone X doesn't interest me in the least. And I'm done with Samsung.

Might just wait until next year, though I said that last year too.
Well I am glad we have got that sorted then ....

Joking aside my mates dread it when I say I am looking for a new phone. In fact, one won't speak to me.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Well I am glad we have got that sorted then ....

Joking aside my mates dread it when I say I am looking for a new phone. In fact, one won't speak to me.
Completely forgot about the LG V30! Still conflicted. I was hoping to get the iPhone 8 simply because I could get a one time upgrade next year. Then again, once I get the Apple Watch paid off (probably in January), I could just finance one through Apple or do their annual upgrade. Let some early adopters test things out.

But at that point, might as well wait and see what the G7 looks like.

I'm totally going to end up getting another 6S, I can feel it already.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Pixel 2 = Meh.

Just saw the keynote, and this has got to be the first time I was so underwhelmed by a flagship announcement no part of me was tempted to upgrade. Sticking with the Pixel XL till October 27th... when I pre-order the iPhone X
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Pixel 2 = Meh.

Just saw the keynote, and this has got to be the first time I was so underwhelmed by a flagship announcement no part of me was tempted to upgrade. Sticking with the Pixel XL till October 27th... when I pre-order the iPhone X
It looks like an LG G6.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I am looking for an unlocked GSM phone exclusively for travelling. I have an older unlocked Android phone that is slowly dying and I would like to replace it.

This will not be used in the US as I use my current (locked) phone for the US and Canada. But I regularly travel to all three ITU regions so I am looking for a phone that will probably work in most countries world wide.

I do not pretend to be an expert, just trying to do the required research and I am hoping that the folks here have greater expertise than I do. Is there some site that has a list of the various phones and the bands they support? I have researched the countries I travel to and have looked at the bands supported by the more common providers.

I am not locked in to s specific brand of phone. Just looking for one that will provide the greatest flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.