Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Update - my sister found it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBRN2YI

Weird is that it's $184.99 but you can buy the international version for $180 on Amazon, no need for Amazon Prime or ads.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Update - my sister found it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBRN2YI

Weird is that it's $184.99 but you can buy the international version for $180 on Amazon, no need for Amazon Prime or ads.
If I search Amazon for the international model (XT1687), all that comes up is a single listing for $219 except for the cheaper one with lock screen and ads (and who wants the ads). As I said previously, since Amazon does not specifically list the Motorola model number in the listing, I would be leery of ordering it.

Also, a matter of personal preference, I prefer to order directly from the actual seller and cut out any middlemen as they get the full profit from it. Besides Jeff Bezos already has plenty of money.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:27 am

I'd be very careful buying an "international" version phone on Amazon or anywhere else unless they tell you the specific model number, especially with Motorola where there are often four or five versions of the same named phone.

If you order the "regular" G5+ from Amazon, you'll get an XT1687 because that's the U.S. model and Amazon's page states that it works on Verizon and Sprint, which models intended for use outside the U.S. won't.

The European version of the G5+ is the XT1684/85, which doesn't support any of the US LTE bands, so it'd be HSPA-only on T-Mo and AT&T and useless on Verizon or Sprint. There are also several versions of the G5 (Europe alone has three), none of which have any appreciable number of US LTE bands nor CDMA.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
International on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OG6ETYGB&psc=1

Definitely supports European bands. But I should have been clearer about wanting Europe more than US bands. Regardless, for $4, if the Amazon Prime version covers both, I'll swing for that.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Specific to the X, both models have the same set of LTE bands but one supports CDMA and one doesn't: https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

So assuming you can obtain either model for the same price, it's better to get the A1865 "Verizon/Sprint" model to leave yourself the option of using the legacy-CDMA networks in the US since you don't lose any LTE bands.

That's not the case for most of the older iPhones--for different models, you trade a band or two here and there, and some have CDMA support while others don't. https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
For example, a Verizon iPhone SE is missing band 7, which is one of the main bands in Europe and has no support for TD-LTE, but the rest-of-world version is missing Verizon's band 13 and probably doesn't have a working CDMA radio if it was sold outside the US)
Thank you, this is very helpful. I'm not so concerned about CDMA in the US... more for the full support of CDMA for China... although more and more this is becoming a moot point with the proliferation of LTE.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd be very careful buying an "international" version phone on Amazon or anywhere else unless they tell you the specific model number, especially with Motorola where there are often four or five versions of the same named phone.
This. When I was trying to buy a Motorola from Amazon Warehouse, they kept sending me the wrong version (made for Europe) of the phone--even though the description said it was the US version. Had to return twice.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
This. When I was trying to buy a Motorola from Amazon Warehouse, they kept sending me the wrong version (made for Europe) of the phone--even though the description said it was the US version. Had to return twice.
On the Amazon listing for the Moto G5 Plus there is no model number. There are several discussions ion the Q&A over exactly what model it is and what frequencies/bands it supports. There are several responses form the user community but none from Amazon. And it is being sold by Amazon and not someone in their marketplace. If they do not include a model number, how can you return it for being the incorrect model?

Also, while reading the Q&A, is saw this, here is a snip from the discussion:

Excellent phone, but beware customers from countries like mine (Colombia) where you have to register your phone in any sort of national database. Motorola didn't do its job right when registering the XT1687 (this phone) in the GSMA database so when the authorities check any IMEI from a G5 plus XT1687, they get a different model number and not XT1687 so they reject the phone.
I wonder if it is true. I would think that Motorola has been doing this long enough to get things like product registrations correct.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I was time to upgrade my work and project Fi phones. I ended up with the LG V20 for work on Sprint specifically for the battery swap, which is fantastic. It worked well in Spain, Portugal, Iceland, Denmark, Finland, England, Estonia, and St. Petersburg. Great Cameras. And as a year old flagship the price has dropped. I just turned in my Nexus 6 for the Moto X4 Project Fi and loaded it up. The camera is not as good as the nexus 6 IMO but its Project Fi and I don't have to go hunting for local sims.

V20 Frequency check https://www.frequencycheck.com/model...vs995-v20-xlte

Moto X4 project fi

Technology
GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100) LTE
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat11 600/75 Mbps
GPRS Yes
EDGE Yes
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Amazon is selling the LG G6 unlocked version for $399 with ads, and the G6+ for $499.

Had I known about this, I would have bought one over getting a new iPhone a few weeks ago. I really liked my G6, it was a better phone than the iPhone 7 has been for me.

https://www.amazon.com/electronics-s...de=14613304011
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've waited so long for a new phone that I will just probably wait for the Galaxy S9--provided it can support T-Mobile's new 600mHz band. I really won't like having to transition to USB-C when every other device in my house is still microUSB. Then again, that's why wireless charging is great.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I've waited so long for a new phone that I will just probably wait for the Galaxy S9--provided it can support T-Mobile's new 600mHz band. I really won't like having to transition to USB-C when every other device in my house is still microUSB. Then again, that's why wireless charging is great.
The transition to USB C is like when we moved from miniUSB to microUSB. There's a bit of a transition period but once you move over it's pretty easy and nice. USB-C has some huge advantages (like Power Delivery and not having to worry about right side up for the plug) and it's great when more and more devices are switching. My wife's Macbook and my switch are both USB-C and I'm on my 2nd USB-C phone. I have no doubt my next laptop will also be a USB-C charger. I think once you convert it's a matter of mass adoption with all your other electronics.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Welp, pre-ordered the iPhone X. Eager to see how it works out.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by boerne
I was time to upgrade my work and project Fi phones. I ended up with the LG V20 for work on Sprint specifically for the battery swap, which is fantastic. It worked well in Spain, Portugal, Iceland, Denmark, Finland, England, Estonia, and St. Petersburg. Great Cameras. And as a year old flagship the price has dropped. I just turned in my Nexus 6 for the Moto X4 Project Fi and loaded it up. The camera is not as good as the nexus 6 IMO but its Project Fi and I don't have to go hunting for local sims.

V20 Frequency check https://www.frequencycheck.com/model...vs995-v20-xlte

Moto X4 project fi

Technology
GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100) LTE
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat11 600/75 Mbps
GPRS Yes
EDGE Yes
LG V30 is out - but with a sealed battery. Ugh.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
On the Amazon listing for the Moto G5 Plus there is no model number. There are several discussions ion the Q&A over exactly what model it is and what frequencies/bands it supports. There are several responses form the user community but none from Amazon. And it is being sold by Amazon and not someone in their marketplace. If they do not include a model number, how can you return it for being the incorrect model?
Only the US model (XT1687) supports Verizon and Sprint. No other version of the G5+ supports the legacy-CDMA carriers in the US. Amazon's page clearly states that the phone advertised supports Verizon and Sprint, so if they send you any other model, they've sent a different phone than advertised.

Amazon's product data still su... er, leaves a lot to be desired, but there is only one model of this phone for the US market, and Amazon doesn't sell grey-market devices directly. I wouldn't order from a 3rd-party seller, but the sold by Amazon version will be the US model. My parents have two of them on Verizon.

As for the Colombia issue, that's a grey-market importation problem between the Colombian government and Motorola. The XT1687 sold on US Amazon is not intended for sale in Latin America. Sometimes you can save some money on grey-market electronics and sometimes you get burned, although that is admittedly a weird one because it does support both of Colombia's LTE bands.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Oct 30, 2017 at 2:33 am
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:43 am

Only the US model (XT1687) supports Verizon and Sprint. No other version of the G5+ supports the legacy-CDMA carriers in the US. Amazon's page clearly states that the phone advertised supports Verizon and Sprint, so if they send you any other model, they've sent a different phone than advertised.

Amazon's product data still su... er, leaves a lot to be desired, but there is only one model of this phone for the US market, and Amazon doesn't sell grey-market devices directly. I wouldn't order from a 3rd-party seller, but the sold by Amazon version will be the US model. My parents have two of them on Verizon.

As for the Colombia issue, that's a grey-market importation problem between the Colombian government and Motorola. The XT1687 sold on US Amazon is not intended for sale in Latin America. Sometimes you can save some money on grey-market electronics and sometimes you get burned, although that is admittedly a weird one because it does support both of Colombia's LTE bands.
What I was concerned about was the specs indicate that the XT1687 should work all over Latin America and the Caribbean. But the statement about the SIM not registering properly had me concerned.

As to Amazon vs 3rd party sellers, I'm not sure what you mean by 3rd party. I was comparing Amazon to B&H Photo in New York, an extremely reputable photo and electronics online retailer. Both sell the XT1687 for $219. IMO I would take B&H over Amazon in a heartbeat as they really stand behind what they sell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.