Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

It lives! Somehow with a lot of patience and even more hairdryer, I was able to get the thing apart and back together without busting it. But the recommendations will also be useful for my brother (and for me in another year, probably), so thanks, all.

Originally Posted by Need
The OnePlus 6T is actually not much bigger than the original Pixel. I think 6T is actually thinner, about the same width and just 1cm longer. If the thunder purple didn't ran out of stock, I would have got the 6T. But I ended up getting the Pixel 3 XL because after the Google Fi service credit, the phone is free. It is very hard to beat free $900 phone.
The 6T is 157.5 x 74.8 x 8.2 mm, which is pretty close to the original Pixel XL's 154.7 x 75.7 x 8.5 mm. I hope "regular" size phones don't disappear the way small phones (think iPhone SE size) have. I can't just wear cargo pants everywhere to carry my phone
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Need
If going for the P20 Pro, might as well go with the Mate 20 Pro? I was actually choosing between the 6T and Mate 20 X. The Mate 20 X got the better camera and the crazy 7.2 inch OLED screen, but I have to buy it from Asia and it is like $900. The 6T has good value with flagship capabilities. They both got teardrop full screen which I think is much better looking than the notch. But I ended up getting the Pixel 3 XL thru Fi's post BF promo. It is just very hard to beat a free phone with a really good camera for night pictures.
I was looking to buy in Israel where OnePlus 6T and P20 Pro were very similar in price but Mate 20 Pro a lot more (NIS 1,000 extra, roughly $300). However, the North American OnePlus is now the exact same as the European, so I ended up buying that as it was much cheaper (even with the added cost of buying a separate European dash charger). The price of the OP in Israel was quite inflated but the P20 was roughly what I found in Europe as well. So went with the "very good" phone that was much cheaper.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:57 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
My current phone is an iPhone 6S. Phone is currently on it’s 3rd battery - 1st change was due to the product recall for early production models, 2nd due to struggling to hold a decent charge.

Recently I’ve had a couple of instances where phone has been kept in jacket pocket on cold day, went to use it with greater than 30% battery life and it just died. Battery health indicator seems normal.

Have been looking at Pixel 3, Mate P20 Pro, Samsung S9 in UK, and was leaning towards the Pixel 3.

Which would you recommend for someone transferring to Android for first time?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: *G
The Mate and P20 are 2 separate lines of phones by Huawei.
Both lines have pretty much the best battery performance in the industry.
The other notable one is the Samsung Note - by sheer size it packs a high capacity battery.

All are more or less the same. They all have functionality meant to ease the import of data from others phone (even if iPhone).

Samsung and Huawei packs their own software, which means some duplicate apps, which might be a bit "confusing". Its not really a big deal anymore, but the Pixel should offer the cleanest experience.
McG likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:27 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Deniah,

thanks for the advice. Managed to get a deal on Pixel 3 in UK at Carphone Warehouse for £449 sim free by taking out a 1 month £12 Virgin Media contract.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
After several weeks convinced I'd get an LG V40, I'm now leaning towards the Galaxy Note 9. One word: Battery.

If I'm going to have to give up a removable battery, then the built-in battery ought to be the largest possible.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
After several weeks convinced I'd get an LG V40, I'm now leaning towards the Galaxy Note 9. One word: Battery.

If I'm going to have to give up a removable battery, then the built-in battery ought to be the largest possible.
Its such a revelation to use a phone where you simply use it as you feel, all day, and not spend a second being conscious of charging points on having enough juice.....
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus, the V40 and Note 9 are essentially the same size, and both of them are a bit slimmer than the V20 I'm on now.

If Samsung can cram a 4000 mAh battery into that form factor (AND an S pen)...why can't LG?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Nobody carries battery chargers?

Yeah at the gates, if you're not spending time in a lounge, people congregate around outlets or charging stations.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Nobody carries battery chargers?

Yeah at the gates, if you're not spending time in a lounge, people congregate around outlets or charging stations.
Nobody should have to carry a battery charger for a phone. Heck, my ThinkPad goes 12 hours without dropping below 20%. Why can't my phone?

(I actually carry an external battery pack, as that's a little less troublesome than hoping for a convenient outlet when I actually need it.)
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That's what I meant a battery pack.

I also have charger and cables on my carryon personal item bag for long overseas flights.

Regarding your laptop, it is much bigger and heavier due to more battery mass. Typically CPUs on laptops are faster and more power-hungry than on phones. But the fastest processors in phones and iPads are faster than several power-efficient laptop CPUs.

Laptop isn't also running a cellular radio or GPS either, which are other power drains.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Note 9 has awesome battery life. Even after 18 holes of golf GPS and substantial video chat and texting, I've not dropped below 65% in 12 hours of usage. ^
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:42 am

Nobody should have to carry a battery charger for a phone. Heck, my ThinkPad goes 12 hours without dropping below 20%. Why can't my phone)
Hi , what model Thinkpad do you have ?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Hi , what model Thinkpad do you have ?
T Series. I'll tell you the model when you tell me your SSN. <sticks tongue out>
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by McG
My current phone is an iPhone 6S. Phone is currently on it’s 3rd battery - 1st change was due to the product recall for early production models, 2nd due to struggling to hold a decent charge.

Recently I’ve had a couple of instances where phone has been kept in jacket pocket on cold day, went to use it with greater than 30% battery life and it just died. Battery health indicator seems normal.

Have been looking at Pixel 3, Mate P20 Pro, Samsung S9 in UK, and was leaning towards the Pixel 3.

Which would you recommend for someone transferring to Android for first time?
I've been using the Pixel 3 for 2 weeks now and love it so far. I thought I'd miss Samsung, but running Android with no carrier bloat and really no manufacturer bloat beyond Google tools I actually use has been great. Battery lasts well beyond a full day of my use - I don't even think about it anymore, other than to charge the phone overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.