Reload this Page >

Official 2016 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2016 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The G4 Play should be an excellent ~$100 phone and, theoretically, offer quite substantial battery life given its low-power processor, 720p screen, and Android Marshmallow.

The G4 Plus looks like it could be surprisingly capable, especially if it it's kept in the $200 range and has NFC (not mentioned as included or omitted). My one hope is the plastic edges of the previous 3rd gen Moto G are somehow improved upon as they looked much better in pictures than they looked/felt in real life. They're also all still a bit thick/hefty for their size to (seemingly) have no metal in their construction, though the largish batteries probably have a bit to do with that.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The Moto G4 Play looks like a fantastic upgrade to Miss Swede's Moto E LTE. I really hope it supports VoLTE and support T-Mobile's Band 12.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/05/17...pecs-official/

Baby Swede lost her Amazon Fire Phone two weeks ago. If our search this week doesn't find it, then I've resigned to get her a new phone. I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime.
Supposed to support VoLTE, per this article.

The G4 Plus is supposed to have Band 12, so hopefully that means the same for the G4.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was able to acquire two Verizon S6edge phones for $200 each from Best Buy. Coupled with their $200 rebate, these phones will simply cost expedited shipping plus tax (about $16.50 each).

I'd love to trade these immediately for two T-Mobile versions. What would be the best way to do this?

SlickDeals thread
Old May 24, 2016, 12:55 pm

Sell on ebay or Swappa. Take that money and buy whatever phone you want.

I was able to acquire two Verizon S6edge phones for $200 each from Best Buy. Coupled with their $200 rebate, these phones will simply cost expedited shipping plus tax (about $16.50 each).

I'd love to trade these immediately for two T-Mobile versions. What would be the best way to do this?

SlickDeals thread
Old May 24, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got shipping notification from UPS. Expected delivery 5/26.

I think a very conservative estimate would be getting $400 each if I sold on Craigslist. That means, with rebates, $1200 to play with to get two phones for my kids. I think one problem is that I'm not sure if I want my kids (only 8 & 11) to have very expensive phones; the other problem is that the new Moto G4s don't come out for another two-ish months.

If the HTC One A9 was around $299, that would've been an insta-buy for me (especially since it includes an one year accidental damage warranty). $429 for that phone is crazy talk.

The Moto X Pure at $350 would also be a candidate, but I'm afraid their small hands will cause them to drop a 5.7" phone all the time.

Last edited by pseudoswede; May 24, 2016 at 3:51 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Still debating getting a newer travel phone, and kicking myself for not picking up a second Nexus 6 when they were briefly down to $249.

Amazon has some new-remaining-stock for $307, and the $10 off for the Prime Now first order discount covers the delivery. I love it for my main phone, although I was hoping for something closer to $200.

None of the current $200-ish set (mainly the Honor 5X, Moto G 3rd gen, Zenfone Laser) quite meet my needs. The Moto G4 probably will (definitely will, other than the question of what bands it supports, and to the extent that I may use it as an in-US spare, whether it supports Wifi calling and LTE band 12.)

Worth waiting for, or just order the 2nd Nexus 6?
Old May 24, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T-Mobile currently has the 128GB S6edge for $350 after instant and mail-in rebates. Argh. If it only had some water resistance.

Two LG G4s would cost $525 after mail-in rebate. But, again, big phone.

I think I'm going to need to wait to see what kind of Father's Day specials they will have.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: US Gold
A couple of months ago I got a Galaxy Note 4 N9100 - this is the dual sim version. The sim management seems to work very well. I preferred the older Android interface from my Note 2, but it's really nice not having to carry two phones, and the N9100 has a 20 mpixel camera, which is excellent. I believe it's the last model to have a user-replaceable battery (but if that appeals to you, bear in mind that the N9100 takes a different battery than the standard Note 4).

wg
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any opinions on the HTC One M9? It's currently priced for $300 with T-Mobile.

There were initial reports of the phones overheating like crazy, but it seems like subsequent firmware and Marshmallow updates have solved those. The other perk is the one-year accidental damage warranty (including water), which will reduce my stress since the phones will be in the hands of kids.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite

There were initial reports of the phones overheating like crazy, but it seems like subsequent firmware and Marshmallow updates have solved those. The other perk is the one-year accidental damage warranty (including water), which will reduce my stress since the phones will be in the hands of kids.
I've seen these drop as low as $200 refubished on eBay, but $300 with the accidental damage warranty is not a bad price, especially since it pretty much guarantees you get a new phone at the end of that year if you want to (unless there's an obnoxious deductible).
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should've said in my previous post that I'm buying two for my kids. It sounds like the accidental damage program is actually really good...

Originally Posted by Reddit Thread
A quick live chat with Customer Service, and a hold on my credit card, and a new phone was air freighted to me, arriving next day. It came in a nice "I'm Back" box, with a couple of stickers and a little rubber/felt mat to put it on when it's not getting scratched up in my pockets. Transfer SIM and data, box up the old one, attach pre-paid shipping and I'm good to go. A+ HTC.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: *G

non-sense manufacturer add-on software
strange color temperature
really poor battery life
quite slow performance compared to on-paper specs

i'd rather buy the nexus 5x
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
really poor battery life
I've heard firmware and Marshmallow updates have fixed that.

i'd rather buy the nexus 5x
$400 for a 32GB with no microSD slot is a bit much. And, believe it or not, I'm trying to avoid USB-C for as long as I can. Trying to tell my kids they can only use these cables to charge their phones will confuse them (and Mrs. Swede).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
$400 for a 32GB with no microSD slot is a bit much. And, believe it or not, I'm trying to avoid USB-C for as long as I can. Trying to tell my kids they can only use these cables to charge their phones will confuse them (and Mrs. Swede).
Moto X Pure edition? My wife is quite happy with hers; $349 for 32gb, no USB C, has a Micro-SD slot.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
Moto X Pure edition? My wife is quite happy with hers; $349 for 32gb, no USB C, has a Micro-SD slot.
Too big for my kids' hands.

I ended up with two M9's. The accidental damage warranty sealed the deal. I'm upgrading my T-Mobile account to a really sweet regional-only grandfathered plan*. That would have given me the ability to take advantage of the Samsung Galaxy S7 BOGO. But, like I said before, I'm not sure I trust my kids with a $700 phone. $300 + accidental damage warranty sounds much better.

* - Currently paying $70 base for two lines, $5 each additional line. Three lines with 3GB data ($10 each) and one line with 6GB data ($15). Lines without a paid data plan actually get unlimited talk/text and unlimited throttled (128kbps) data. Maximum of five lines. New plan (only available in Colorado and Arizona) will give me all five lines each with 6GB data for the same price; plus I can add/remove lines as needed for $10/mo with 6GB data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.