Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATT Wifi Calling Abroad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

ATT Wifi Calling Abroad

I'm just posting my experience here. I'm in downtown Toronto at the Hilton. It is an ATT WiFi hotspot and my iPhone 6 automatically registers on it. My WiFi calling does not work. VOIP on it works great so ATT has obviously made the decision to strictly limit its WiFi calling to the US.

Canada is part of my calling area so I don't have to think about VOIP, but I thought I would share my experience.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
ATT has obviously made the decision to strictly limit its WiFi calling to the US.
Correct. They were very clear about this when they announced WiFi calling, and I'm fairly sure it was one of the conditions of (or at least stated in) the exception they got that allowed them to start Wifi calling.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by docbert
I'm fairly sure it was one of the conditions of (or at least stated in) the exception they got that allowed them to start Wifi calling.
I really doubt that. Why would it concern the FCC that you could make wifi calls from outside the US? I think it's a simple money grab for AT&T to force people to purchase int'l roaming packages.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
What if you VPN back to the US?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
T-Mobile allows calling from abroad, so I'm sure it's just AT&T forcing people to use the mobile network. There's no legal excuse.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by IslesFan
What if you VPN back to the US?
I'll be out of the country next week and will test this.

Fdw
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
T-Mobile allows calling from abroad, so I'm sure it's just AT&T forcing people to use the mobile network. There's no legal excuse.
^ Bump +1
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Originally Posted by dtsm
^ Bump +1
Ummm... I'm pretty sure that AT&T never claimed it was a "legal excuse" and their terms and conditions have stated this pretty clearly from the get go. Frankly I'm a little perplexed this is even a thread.

The beatuy of a capitalistic, market driven economy is that you always have the right to... wait for it... vote with your wallet!

Clearly, T-Mobile offers this feature, if that is meaningful to people they always have the option to switch carriers.

Regards
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... I'm pretty sure that AT&T never claimed it was a "legal excuse"
Post #2 seems to think it was.

Post #3 disagreed, and posts #5 & #7 agree with the disagreement.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Post #2 seems to think it was.

Post #3 disagreed, and posts #5 & #7 agree with the disagreement.
Great, well that is definitive

My original offer stands; if people don't like the deal they are getting, go find one to your liking. That is one of the beautiful things about a free market.

Regards
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Anyone one else had issues with the Wifi calling? I get a marginal ATT signal in my office (-106 to -111dBm). Even with that RSSI, I only dropped calls in one place in the house. Wifi calling works, but it seems to drop calls a lot if I move around. It seems as if the handoff back to the ATT network and vice-versa doesn't work well.

Not sure this is related, but when on ATT over Wifi and using my BT headset I can't seem to properly transfer calls to the handset or vice-versa. They seem to get stuck in pergatory. I didn't have this issue before I enabled Wifi calling.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:15 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

ATT Wifi Calling Abroad

I'm in Turks and Caicos right now and was able to place a call without using my vpn on wifi calling.

Edit: well that was wierd. After initially having the att wifi signal it has now disappeared and I'm no longer able to make calls. I can't seem to make it come up using my Vpn either.
Fdw

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Nov 7, 2015 at 4:23 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I really doubt that. Why would it concern the FCC that you could make wifi calls from outside the US? I think it's a simple money grab for AT&T to force people to purchase int'l roaming packages.
I think they might be concerned about out of USA implementation of E911 using wifi, which may not be enabled, but regular calling E911 may be.

Having had a microcell for years and trying wifi calling in home, the wifi calling SOUND is a bit better than the microcell, but the one downside to wifi calling that one will experience anywhere is going to be bandwidth at the router (not necessarily the WAN connection). Without a good QoS implementation at the router high bandwidth usage by other devices can impact of course the wifi calling quality. I've experience this as work locations, starbucks and at home where the bandwidth is crazy and the router is very powerful.

For the moment, I'm going back to the microcell till I can get a better handle on the QoS preference for the wifi calling protocol and see if I can prioritize it accordingly.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Why can't you program the phone to push out calls to 911, 999, and 112, over cellular regardless of a WiFi connection UNLESS there is no other connection available.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:02 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Currently abroad. Can't get att wifi calling to work with a VPN at all. Sigh. Great wifi signal too. 88 Mbps down, 25 up...

Edit: oops. Looks like somehow wifi calling had gotten turned off. Probably because of my sim switching over the trip. It's currently working fine. I connected it over my VPN but my VPN connection has dropped and it's still showing working.
Fdw

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Mar 1, 2016 at 3:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.