FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATT Wifi Calling Abroad
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:30 am
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I really doubt that. Why would it concern the FCC that you could make wifi calls from outside the US? I think it's a simple money grab for AT&T to force people to purchase int'l roaming packages.
I think they might be concerned about out of USA implementation of E911 using wifi, which may not be enabled, but regular calling E911 may be.

Having had a microcell for years and trying wifi calling in home, the wifi calling SOUND is a bit better than the microcell, but the one downside to wifi calling that one will experience anywhere is going to be bandwidth at the router (not necessarily the WAN connection). Without a good QoS implementation at the router high bandwidth usage by other devices can impact of course the wifi calling quality. I've experience this as work locations, starbucks and at home where the bandwidth is crazy and the router is very powerful.

For the moment, I'm going back to the microcell till I can get a better handle on the QoS preference for the wifi calling protocol and see if I can prioritize it accordingly.