Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Clicking around with their compatibility tool it looks like Fi may be T-Mobile only on the iPhone ("X" for network switching/"Even more security and network reliability"). Still, Fi's plan is pretty nice so it's probably worth the downside.
Am I reading that right? They'll give a travel gift card in the same amount as the purchase price? That seems crazy.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:01 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
The deal is great. And if you want just a sim, it seems there's a $200 credit (today only) if you port over.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by devans999
Am I reading that right? They'll give a travel gift card in the same amount as the purchase price? That seems crazy.
Crazy deal!! Jump on it!!! ...although you have to wait 3/4 months for the voucher.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
What does it mean "you can redeem a travel gift card for the amount of the purchase"
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
They're using a balance equivalent to the phone purchase price *minus taxes) to Tango Gift Cards which include Delta, Hotels.com and some other travel companies and many other sites like Amazon but not sure if the balance will somehow be restricted to just travel related cards. If you purchased a $500 phone you get a $500 credit to purchase gift cards from.

Originally Posted by nmenaker
What does it mean "you can redeem a travel gift card for the amount of the purchase"
I am awaiting a confirmation about if you have to purchase outright or can finance the phone.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by nmenaker
https://fi.google.com/about/device-promo-terms/
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I signed up for the $200 credit (bring your own phone) and used a $20 referral code (that I got randomly off the net) - not sure if you can stack - but no confirmation about the $200 credit appears anywhere.
Anyone know anything about this - I have an email to them so I'll see what they say.
Also - Vietnam is not on their list - can I make wifi calls from there to the US? Cost?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended

So Tango do not do a specific travel card, however they do a general gift card called "The Tango" card which includes Amazon, Starbucks etc....wonder why they have limited it to "travel"? Because if it is a tango card then surly that will not be limited to the travel companies??
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:45 am

OMG. I just signed up yesterday and today the phone is free instead of $200 off + $200 service credit. I just emailed them to see if I could switch promotion. This crazy, one day and the price dropped by $700.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:12 pm

Well I jumped on it for a new pixel 3 XL. I'm on delta every couple weeks anyway, so it's pretty much a free phone the way I see it, and then I'll sell my pixel 2 xl on ebay or someplace and come out cash ahead.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Yeah, buy now ask questions later.. only another 30 minutes to complete. I picked up a 3Xl, wanted to try it and used referral code. Sounds like about 100$ net (plus about 80$ in taxes for CA residents) to use the service as second line and get a free'ish phone.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
The main attraction to me as a frequent international traveler is the unthrottled full speed LTE at a reasonable price $10/GB. With the price protection, FI comes out to no more than $80/ month for Global unthrottled LTE coverage which with my usage may as well be unlimited, as I rarely go over 10-12GB at most ever.

I started my project FI journey with the Nexus 6P. Loved it so much, I kept using FI when I got my Pixel the year it came out. Eventually, I stuck my FI sim into my iPhone X when I migrated back to the iPhone world last year. Since then... I got the iPhone XS Max... and had a brilliant idea.

I was going to move back to T-Mobile (thus getting support of: visual voicemail, fully working imessage, wifi calling, apple watch support etc), then move the service to the esim slot once the feature was enabled with iOS 12.1. I would then take my project FI "Data only sims" and put one in my phone, and one in my wife's phone. Unfortunately this plan hasn't materialized as esim is no yet supported by T-Mo.

Since porting my primary number back to T-Mobile, three things have happened that have me wondering what to do.
  • iOS 12.1 came out, but no carriers in the US are supporting e-sim yet (foiled that plan :/)
  • T-Mo announced Global Plus unlimited (which I jumped on)... they subsequently replaced the plan with a 15GB limited version.
  • Fi may shortly be available native on iPhones.
I'm on T-Mobile and I usually buy local SIMs. When Project Fi first came out $10 a GB was pretty competitive compared to local SIMs you could get.

That is no longer the case.

Earlier this year, I paid 20 Euros in Italy for 30 GB and $40-45 for 2-3 weeks in Switzerland during which I used about 95 GB of data, tethering my iPad and laptop and using the mobile connection instead of hotel wifi, which was usually slower.

If they had a baseline like $10 a GB up to 2 GB and then $5 a GB thereafter with a $60 cap, with unlimited full-speed tethering in all the roaming countries, I'd switch right now.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I just ordered too. Initially I got an error loading my cart on the last step. When I went back to try again, the one I was ordering (pixel 3 not-xl, black, 128) had changed to out-of-stock, so I went with the white. So if you want any of the high end phones on this deal, don't wait too long.

Two other notes:

Delivery will be the first week of January.

And as a new Fi customer, when I opted to port my existing number, it said that with this option, I would permanently lose my existing Google Voice number. That's a nuisance, and not sure why, but I use it only rarely, so worth the tradeoff.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:38 pm

my pixel 3 xl was saying delivery by monday or tuesday next week, so stock levels must vary quite a bit.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Same for mine. I tried to finance it but there was an error so I just purchased it while waiting for my call back. I did get the Travel Credit Promo. Also $50 for my Nexus 5X.

Originally Posted by devans999
my pixel 3 xl was saying delivery by monday or tuesday next week, so stock levels must vary quite a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.