Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Old Mar 25, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
TMO is the same thing. I think the worse thing is that your service will be terminated. I would hate to lose my number.
His service wasnít terminated and is still operational in US. Iím just wondering when, if ever, Fi would allow international roaming again.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 12:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Deleted. Duplicated post.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
My son’s international service was suspended at 90 days. He got a warning email at 60 days that he had 30 days left.
My gf got suspended as well.

Yes. He had gotten a local SIM card in Europe but had had so many issues with it that he was still occasionally using the Google Fi service. He paused the Fi account and then used in US for a couple of weeks during a visit. Fi says his international service is still suspended (although he isn’t trying to use it, paused right now as he is still living in Europe). Not really sure when they will lift the ban. I mention this for two reasons. First, don’t risk getting suspended bc may be a PITA to get it reinstated. And second, does anyone know the process for reinstatement? I assume he must use Fi in US for a while first. I am not sure if we can even see that it is still suspended on his account. I only know bc chatted with Fi.

Also, FWIW, I also looked into T Mobile for him before he left and they seem to have the same terms re using service primarily in US. Not sure what their cut off is though. I don’t think I’d trust the rep on “if low usage you’re fine”.
His service wasn’t terminated and is still operational in US. I’m just wondering when, if ever, Fi would allow international roaming again.
I have the same question... when, if ever, will she be reinstated?

According to this thread... once they re-establish US usage, it should be reinstated. https://support.google.com/fi/thread...uspended?hl=en
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
My gf got suspended as well.

I have the same question... when, if ever, will she be reinstated?

According to this thread... once they re-establish US usage, it should be reinstated. https://support.google.com/fi/thread...uspended?hl=en
Usage over how long? Suspension is better than termination. I wish both Google and TMO are more transparent about their suspension and termination policies. The current situation seems arbitrary.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:27 am

If his service is not on an esim, couldn't he just mail the sim card back to you in the US so that you could stick it in a phone and run up some data use and make a few calls here? Mail it back and the clock is set to zero again. Even an esim could transfer numbers via QR code in an email couldn't they? I have often wondered why that wasn't ever mentioned by others as a work around for the roaming time line that has been an issue with international service.
bukzin likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by draver
If his service is not on an esim, couldn't he just mail the sim card back to you in the US so that you could stick it in a phone and run up some data use and make a few calls here? Mail it back and the clock is set to zero again. Even an esim could transfer numbers via QR code in an email couldn't they? I have often wondered why that wasn't ever mentioned by others as a work around for the roaming time line that has been an issue with international service.
This is actually possible?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:59 am

This is actually possible?
I don't know, but it may be possible depending upon Google Fi policies and installation requirements. I do know that an esim can be converted to a sim card within an iPhone and a line can transfer wirelessly between two iPhones on the same iCloud account. I have done this and frequently l see the other iPhone numbers on my account available to import. At least one of these are not in the same household or city. I suppose the manual "Add Esim" could work if the QR code doesn't.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by draver
This is actually a brilliant idea. He does have an eSIM though. I may look into getting a sim and sticking it in one of my extra phones and see if Google will recognize that before trying. He will be returning about 6 weeks after his 6 month pause ends and so will have to pay some for a while anyway. Might as well get Stateside credit if he can. I should think itís possible bc if a phone with an eSIM is stolen, then you have to get a new phone and possibly transfer number to sim. He could then put the sim in his original phone when he returns. Thanks for mentioning this. I think sometimes we canít see beyond whatís right in front of us.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Usage over how long? Suspension is better than termination. I wish both Google and TMO are more transparent about their suspension and termination policies. The current situation seems arbitrary.
I assume it's suspension of data - since they are still charging her a monthly fee.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
For those curious, Google Fi with iPhones running iOS 16.4 do have 5G, including internationally. Took about 10 minutes after landing for data to kick in, but otherwise everything just worked.

Local carrier in YUL appears to be Telus (5G). T-Mobile partner flips between Bell and Telus (on 3G).

Will report in again once I reach Europe.
bukzin likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:05 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & MeliŠ & HH & Marriott Gold
My primary phone is a recent iPhone with an eSIM from a German provider. I also have a Pixel for Fi (also on an eSIM). Two questions:

1. Have we reached the point where I can get rid of the Pixel and add the Fi number to my iPhone as a second eSIM, saving the cost and hassle oif two phones without significant loss of functionality?

2. If yes, can I make the change without being in the US?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:13 am

It seems to me that you may need to have your Fi esim line converted to a QR code to import it into your iPhone. Google may have a provision for that, but I'd begin by checking their procedures & options in this regard. Once you have the new QR code, it is a simple matter to install it in your iPhone. Your location should not be a factor in this transition. I see available esims for import from my account no matter where either phone is, but that is iPhone to iPhone on the same account.
IMH likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:27 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & MeliŠ & HH & Marriott Gold
Thanks, draver. My doubts are due to the fact that I've already got Fi (and one Google support page tells me that "Fi eSIM transfer is not supported on iPhones.").

I won't rush to try and sort this -- I'll be visiting the US again in summer, so can install the Fi iOS-App and not need to worry about phone sending too many "abroad" messages home to Google.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:11 pm

My feelings on this is, they don't support directly transferring esims from Android to iPhone. However the installation of esim via QR code is pretty much the industry standard for both platforms. The interim step of Android-QR code-iPhone should make it easy and nearly foolproof. Perhaps if you can chat on line with a Fi rep and ask for their assistance. You will need to get a rep to help with that. Perhaps they can create the QR code from your current line and email it to you for installation.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by BklynProf
My husband and I are going to be in Japan for about 6 weeks and then fly to France for a month and are trying to decide between Google-Fi and T-Mobile. When we've traveled in Europe we've only bought local SIMS but that meant we had to change our phone number and doing any banking was a problem. Japan is a totally different case since SIMS are expensive and we'll be traveling around a lot in very rural locations. We have iPhones, an original SE and a brand new SE. We don't use a lot of data, both at home and especially when abroad, as long as we have access to wi-fi. I've spoken to the Google-Fi rep who told me that as long as we're abroad for less than 90 days, we're OK and the T-Mobile rep who assured me that as long as our data use is low, we won't be terminated. But my experience is that reps will say what is on the script and not what actually happens. Any experiences with either of these carriers would be helpful especially for iphone users. Thanks!
A little confused, are you saying you may use a TMobile SIM (or eSIM) in you Fi account? Or maybe your phone supports 2 SIM's and you will switch between Fi and TMobile as needed. Thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.