Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Holy crap, totally overengineered

Love it.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
It's SOLID. I guess Apple really was on to something with solid aluminum bodies.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine still hasn't shipped - my own fault for including a 64GB Nexus 6 in white with my order and an LTE Nexus 9
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:09 pm

Words cannot describe my lust for this thing. Typing this post on it right now. Holy in love I am, Batman. Get one, you won't regret it.

...is it sad that I can't wait to leave for Hawaii on Sunday just to be able to use this thing on the plane? Too bad Hawaiian Airlines doesn't have wifi on my flight. Even still, I am super excited. Giddy, almost.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I'm looking for a replacement for my Lenovo T420, which currently has 16GB of RAM, an i5-2520M @ 2.5GHz and 730GB of SSD (1 480GB in the usual place and 1 250GB in the UltraBay). I'd prefer something that is expandable beyond 16GB of RAM since I run multiple virtual environments, but weight/portability is also a consideration.
Hello my friend! The Lenovo T420 is irreplaceable. The keyboard, the extensibility, and the durability are matched by literally none. There's a "laptop winter" since the T430. But if you insist, here's a ThinkPad forum thread http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...753166#p753166 I started on a possible replacement -- of course compromises need to be made. I will be on the T420 for a long, long time: I have this one that doesn't really want to die and if this one does die in a way I can't fix it easily then I have a second in the cupboard.

Edit: this thread is the best -- someone wrote that the SSD is welded on

Last edited by chx1975; Mar 17, 2015 at 5:20 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
Edit: this thread is the best -- someone wrote that the SSD is welded on
That was me. I had a brain fart. Obviously meant soldered.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ScottC

Same reason you can get it with Core i7 and 16GB ram - "because".

I see the Pixel as a playground for Google, not an actual product.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/app...k-pixel,38225/

Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sentient? No "No"
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems right to me.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I'm torn between buying a new tablet and a macbook air or a Chromebook pixel.

As I use the majority of the google products so I'm pretty tied into the Google/Android ecosystem.

I'm generally use my devices to surf the web, text, listen to music, watch movies when I travel and play some app games, so Im seriously looking at this device to do the job of two devices.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:50 pm

I am actually torn between buying an iPad Air 2 128gb for $600~ (slickdeals had a few sales posted recently) or keeping the Pixel. I do love the Pixel, but there is a reason I've sold two MacBook Airs over the last couple of years...I just never used my laptops at home.

However, every time I open this up (typing on it now), I am very giddy to be using it. I have had numerous iPads, and I have the iPhone 6 Plus 128gb as my main phone. I can't imagine an iPad Air 2 would be a whole lot different than the 6+ for the use cases I have.

I'd rather have the Pixel, which has a touch screen, if I really feel the need to utilize a large screen device with touch support. Otherwise, my iPhone does everything I need and it's right in my pocket. Tablets are so awkward to travel with in my opinion. They're these large surface area fragile glass things that can easily get poked by anything in your bag and shatter the glass.

I say all that with an unused Surface Pro 3 sitting right next to me on the coffee table. Just not my cup of tea these days.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:39 pm

Gotta bump this thread. The 2015 Pixel has been awesome on our Hawaii vacation. Been here five days so far and haven't been let down a single time. This thing is quick, light, agile, and just a beaut. Highly recommend.

The question you need to ask yourself (as I asked myself the same): what do you really need on vacation? For me, the answer was "the internet." What's better for the internet than the Pixel?

Hint... Nothing.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerMah
The question you need to ask yourself (as I asked myself the same): what do you really need on vacation? For me, the answer was "the internet." What's better for the internet than the Pixel?

Hint... Nothing.
Except for a Pixel with built in 4G like the previous one.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Except for a Pixel with built in 4G like the previous one.
Eh. Was it you in the thread earlier that said life was simpler with built-in 4G? If not, someone said it (yes I am too lazy to scroll through and find it).

Honestly, I disagree. I always have my iPhone which I pay for the tethering option on. Why would I want to pay for and maintain another cell account? Even if it was somehow built into my family plan on VZW, it's still extra money. I'm 100% happy with no 4G option and just using my phone as a hotspot.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by JerMah
This thing is quick, light, agile, and just a beaut. Highly recommend.

Hint... Nothing.
I'm thinking along the same lines. After getting my wife a Toshiba Chromebook 2 with Full HD screen (the 2nd bet Chromebook right after the Pixel) I'm considering jumping on the bandwagon as well and getting one of those new Pixel machines.

Problem is I'm overseas so getting one is going to be slightly trickier. Does anyone know if Amazon usually sells them directly (not interested in "Fulfilled by Amazon" or other vendors selling via Amazon) or have they never stocked the Pixel (just wondering whether I should wait or whether they simply do not sell this laptop at all)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.