Search

Geosense for Windows 7?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Geosense for Windows 7?

Anybody use it?

My weather app seems to work fine on my laptops, but doesn't work on the desktops. So, I looked around a bit, and it seems that somebody wrote some software to use the Location and Sensor platform for Windows 7. Seemed like it might be worth a try. It's free, after all.

However, the authors didn't allow redistribution, so you had to get it from them. It turns out, their website has expired. So, nowhere to get the app.

Does anyone use it? Before I go through the trouble of finding it, I was wondering if it was of use.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I use the WUnderground gadget on my Windows 7 desktop computer. Since it's a desktop, I'm not sure why you'd need geosense for a desktop app.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Since it's a desktop, I'm not sure why you'd need geosense for a desktop app.
A. To try it out before I try to use it on the laptops.

B. As it stands, the weather gadget doesn't work because it receives no sensor information. I typically keep a couple of weather windows open to keep tabs on the weather in other places.

Other than that, I have no real interest in locating myself all the time (I usually know where I am), and it's strictly to make the thermometer work. However, if it turns out there are other benefits, I might use them too.

If there are other methods to accomplish my desired task, let me know.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Further checking seems to indicate I need hardware as well as software.

Since I was completely unaware of this little bit of silicon that wasn't in my machines, I've never looked to see if it was an add-on (like a Bluetooth card or something). Oh well.

Still - I've seen a number of write-ups on this little app, and find it strange they've just completely abandoned it with no way to get it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
Further checking seems to indicate I need hardware as well as software.
Apparently that's not true either.

I seems that the app uses wifi etc. to do some searching in the neighborhood to try to figure out where it is, and then feeds that information to other apps/devices. Probably not as accurate as GPS, but certainly good enough for the weather.

So I guess my original question still stands - anyone use this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.