Multi-country Prepaid Mifi/Wireless Hotspot Solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-country Prepaid Mifi/Wireless Hotspot Solution

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Here's an update on my experience with Skyroam.

I used it extensively in Alaska for 2 weeks. It was very reliable and I didn't experience the kinds of aggravation I had previously (as mentioned in my appended post). This was for pretty moderate usage, though - certainly not chewing through huge amounts of data.

For my travel needs this is looking like a very viable solution. (That said, it is still annoying that you have to pay for 24 hours even if you only need 3 minutes in a 24 hour period. And I don't like the payment for extended periods of non-use either.) I hope to test it later tis year in Korea.
I would suggest checking out the Cello Mobile MIFI rental solution which is a little more expensive but it just works. They offer 4G LTE service with no throttling and ........ like other solutions available.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by sillypainter
I would suggest checking out the Cello Mobile MIFI rental solution which is a little more expensive but it just works. They offer 4G LTE service with no throttling and ........ like other solutions available.
Thanks. I checked it out and I'll stick with Skyroam for now. Cello is way more expensive per day. Then there is the hassle of acquiring and returning the unit each time you travel. (A real pain if you don't live in the US.)

By contrast, with Skyroam you load credits on line and are good to go anytime.

I can see Cello being good for (preferably US based) people who travel infrequently as the cost of amortising the cost of the Skyroam unit will offset the higher daily rate of Cello.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:28 am

How well does Freedompop work in Europe?

Fp has an online offer for a one-time charge of $29.99 for a Mi-Fi device that offers unimited free connectivity in most European countries. Does anyone here have actual experience of using the product? If yes, what kind of speed did you get and how reliable was the service?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I just picked up a Huawei E5377s hotspot on Amazon and put my Project Fi data-only SIM in it - will try this config out and report back.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by bukzin
Just received my shipment (in US) from Freedompop.

Turned out to be this Novatel # 5792 3G/4G touchscreen unit. Approx$64 USD with 'Global SIM'

http://www.nvtl.com/files/1413/6399/..._22Mar2013.pdf

I think it is running on Sprint here at home (how do I confirm that?)
Speedtests showing around 3mb

We will test the free data on the SIM when in Spain and France

Coverage on our trip was spotty. As usual it worked better in the cities.

I never did get Google Hangouts to forward US calls to me. Not sure what I did wrong; would be great
to get that working. Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.