Multi-country Prepaid Mifi/Wireless Hotspot Solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-country Prepaid Mifi/Wireless Hotspot Solution

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
The T-Mobile data-only option is a good one. Even better if you know someone on a T-Mobile Simple Choice plan already so you can just add on to their lines - there's a current promotion with a data-only plan for only $10/month that matches the voice data up to 5Gb LTE per month in North America. This is a pretty inexpensive way to have 2G International data in 100+ countries for frequent travelers (and you can always add a high-speed data pass as needed).

You could buy their ZTE 915 hotspot (seems to have decent LTE bands for international support) for another $5/month x 24 months (or just buy it outright for $110) - so for $15/month total, you could have a good choice to "hit the ground running" as wco81 said.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bfernand
Where in the US or Europe (Paris, London, Munich) can one buy an unlocked Mi-Fi device without paying an exorbitant price?
How about http://www.getmifi.com/products/mifi2

Regularly $199, but now $99 on sale.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Still probably double what it should be for a single function device.

Only one LTE band?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by wco81
I have a data-only T-mobile SIM, which is 1 GB in the US for $20 a month.

I can roam with their Simple Choice plan which gives 128 kbps. Slow but still lets you hit the ground running. It will take awhile for Google Maps to first load the tiles for your location.

But this is what I use for shorter stays in a country, if I'm moving to 2 or more countries every few days.

For longer stays, I will find a local prepaid SIM, usually spend €20 or less, for 1 or 2 GB of data.
I have Harbor Mobile's TMobile tablet sim which is 5 gigs plus unlimited texting. you get the throttled international data, but don't get full speed in Canada and Mexico.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:49 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by bfernand
Where in the US or Europe (Paris, London, Munich) can one buy an unlocked Mi-Fi device without paying an exorbitant price?
I bought the Novatel Mifi device (unlocked) on eBay for about $65. Heading to Morocco via Spain today, will post my experiences once I've given it a try.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:16 pm

We are traveling to Switzerland for five days late September, then to Germany, France and Netherlands. Our hotels have WIFI but i like convenience of WiFi on the go too for maps etc. I am considering a Huawei HotSpot where I have to buy a SIM card. Is there a universal SIM card that will cover all of Europe? Primary usage is Google Maps How much data does that require. Also should I buy a 4G or just 3G? Was thinking about the future travel where 3G may not be supported.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:11 pm

Quick update: After a few fits and starts, The Novatel Mifi 2 worked well in Morocco. It was a great solution for two of us who were traveling with phones and iPads.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:40 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bohaiboy
We are traveling to Switzerland for five days late September, then to Germany, France and Netherlands. Our hotels have WIFI but i like convenience of WiFi on the go too for maps etc. I am considering a Huawei HotSpot where I have to buy a SIM card. Is there a universal SIM card that will cover all of Europe? Primary usage is Google Maps How much data does that require. Also should I buy a 4G or just 3G? Was thinking about the future travel where 3G may not be supported.
I've been very happy with my Skyroam throughout Europe -- I've used it in France, Italy, and Ireland so far -- and it does not require SIM cards at all. Several reviews from me and others earlier in this string.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Quick update: After a few fits and starts, The Novatel Mifi 2 worked well in Morocco. It was a great solution for two of us who were traveling with phones and iPads.
Two questions: (a) did you get LTE or simply HSPA?; (b) did you manually have to configure the APN?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Two questions: (a) did you get LTE or simply HSPA?; (b) did you manually have to configure the APN?
LTE
No APN configuration necessary, I think

That said, I made a mistake and bought a SIM card from a convenience store, then couldn't get it to work in my MIFI or an unlocked phone. Finally took it into a Maroc Telecom store and they fiddled with some computer settings then got it working. I don't know what they did -- and don't know if APNs can be configured remotely, hence my qualified response to that question -- but it worked like a charm after that. Unfortunately, the SIM card I bought was only 3G, so that slowed us down.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I bought the Novatel Mifi device (unlocked) on eBay for about $65. Heading to Morocco via Spain today, will post my experiences once I've given it a try.
Is there any other source to get the Novatel MiFi from a "more legitimate source" than E-Bay at a similar price? I am thinking someplace which will assist if it does not work as promised.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinPete
Is there any other source to get the Novatel MiFi from a "more legitimate source" than E-Bay at a similar price? I am thinking someplace which will assist if it does not work as promised.
I bought it from Novatel for $99. Not $65, but not eBay either.

http://www.getmifi.com
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter

It said $159 when I tried.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyinPete
I'm sure there are, and Google is your friend.

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
It said $159 when I tried.
Make sure you're buying on that's unlocked. Otherwise you'll be SOL when you try to use it in another country. (I believe most in North America are locked to Rogers or AT&T.)
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by bohaiboy
I've had 2 huawei hotspots, the e586 (3g only) and a new E5377ts-32 (3g & lte), which I just used for london & belgium. I've been happy with both, the newer one is the extended battery model, so it's a little bulky, but there is a regular model available if you don't think you need all day battery. Turns out I didn't, but it's nice to have the option, and that model can also act as a battery back for you phone if you need to top up a little bit.

If you are buying new, I'd definitely spend the extra $50 or so and get a model that has 4g/lte, just to cover yourself in the future. Probably need to check in advance also with providers, as not all let prepaid customers use 4g/lte.

Google maps doesn't require much bandwidth in map mode, if you use satellite view, that requires a fair amount more. You can reduce it even more if you pre-cache maps for your destinations in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.