Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung J7?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:24 am

Original Poster

Samsung J7?

I see t-mobile USA is selling the Samsung J7, but it doesn't look like it's the same as the dual sim version made sold in Thailand because it appears to be only a single SIM version of a great low priced phone.

Does anybody know if the Thai version will work well with t-mobile USA? I guess it's a question about the bands it supports, which seems to be hard to find for the Thai/India dual-sim version.

-David
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I will wager that the int'l version of the J7 will not have all bands that you would want when using it on T-Mobile. Even if it does, there could be potential issues with it working on VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling (if those are important to you).
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I see t-mobile USA is selling the Samsung J7, but it doesn't look like it's the same as the dual sim version made sold in Thailand because it appears to be only a single SIM version of a great low priced phone.

Does anybody know if the Thai version will work well with t-mobile USA? I guess it's a question about the bands it supports, which seems to be hard to find for the Thai/India dual-sim version.

-David
Not sure I understand your question.

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Duos purchased in Thailand. One SIM is my USA T-Mobile service. The other SIM is a Thai 12Call SIM. Both work great, both in the USA and in Thailand.

I use the T-Mobile global data service and it has been working well with the phone.

If there are any specific questions, let me know.

**Added: Upon further thinking, I don't usually use the Thai SIM card while in the USA. Occasionally when I need to check balance or get a OTP from SMS. I did have some issue getting that to work a month ago or so, but don't know if it was a band issue.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:32 am

Original Poster

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the PM.

Do you have the original Thai J7? A few weeks ago I noticed that the Samsung store in T21 had a "version 2". Exterior looked the same, but no idea what they changed on the inside.

Just wanted to know if the (version 1) phone works well on LTE and HSPA+ on t-mo USA.

Thanks,
David
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hey David.
No idea which version I have. LOL Admittedly, I am not much on phone tech.
If there is a way for me to tell (settings or something?), I can look and tell you.

I don't think I get LTE service with the T-Mo. Most of the time when I use data, I see the H+ icon on the screen. Occasionally see 3G. Is that what you are asking?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:34 am

Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't think I get LTE service with the T-Mo. Most of the time when I use data, I see the H+ icon on the screen. Occasionally see 3G. Is that what you are asking?
Yes. HSPA+ isn't bad, but not quite as good as LTE.

When did you buy yours?

You know what? I found the specs I got from one of the Samsung stores in Bangkok for the version 1 Thai/India J7 (J700F). I'm attaching it here. Maybe somebody here can help interpret it for us. I think he got it from gsmarena .. looks like maybe this page: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j7-7185.php

The J700F does LTE bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20 and 40.
The J700F does not do AWS (1700)

-David
Attached Images  

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 20, 2016 at 4:42 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:44 am

Original Poster

and just for comparison purposes, the t-mo USA version of the (single sim version) J7 specs are on this page:
https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones...galaxy-j7.html

Quad Band GSM; LTE: 2, 4, 5, 12; UMTS: Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850)

The only LTE overlap is band 5

I think there might be google fi in her future.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 20, 2016 at 4:53 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try http://willmyphonework.net
But with variations of the same phone for different markets may not be 100% accurate
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:15 am

Original Poster

actually it lists the exact sub-model (J700F DS .. I'm guessing DS is Dual SIM).

Thanks. That's a handy site for anybody thinking of buying an international version of a phone.

-David
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the settings on my phone -"about device",it is SM-JF00F.
No mention about DS that I can find.

There is a baseband version of "JF00FXXU2APG3" listed as well, if that helps any.

I purchased mine earlier this year. Pretty sure it was in April, but may have been Jan. These trips start to blur together in my mind.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:38 am

Original Poster

It's not SM-J700F ?

Anyway, gsmarena has the specs for the version 2, and says it was released in April. The Thai model changes to SM-J710F.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...2016)-7870.php

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 20, 2016 at 7:46 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It's not SM-J700F ?

Anyway, gsmarena has the specs for the version 2, and says it was released in April. The Thai model changes to SM-J710F.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...2016)-7870.php
Yep, SM-J700F. Sorry, typo.

Sounds like you have what you need now.

Good luck.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:57 am

Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yep, SM-J700F. Sorry, typo.

Sounds like you have what you need now.

Good luck.
Thanks for the help and info.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.