Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will FAs treat a 13" convertible as an ipad that can be used for take-off an landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will FAs treat a 13" convertible as an ipad that can be used for take-off an landing?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Without delving into the safety debate, thanks very much to those who've shared your experiences with using various convertible notebooks on planes. Much appreciated!

Now, I just have to see how long my dying laptop will last before plunking down for its replacement. Both the Yoga 3 and Surface Pro 3 seem fairly good for my purposes, but in researching them it seems like the next few months will see some good competition coming along...of course, there's always something better coming along.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
If it is any help, I've traveled with a Surface Pro 3, Yoga 2, Galaxy Tab pro 12 - and have never been asked to put it away. As long as you have it folded flat in tablet mode, most FA's probably won't be bothered to tell you that it can't be used.
This is exactly what I have found too. My Surface pro 2 used in tablet mode doesn't get a second glance but as soon as the FA see my keyboard then they ask for it to be put away.

In my opinion it's the visible keyboards which make the FAs decide whether it's a laptop or not.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Matrick
This is exactly what I have found too. My Surface pro 2 used in tablet mode doesn't get a second glance but as soon as the FA see my keyboard then they ask for it to be put away.

In my opinion it's the visible keyboards which make the FAs decide whether it's a laptop or not.
It is my experience as well that the attached keyboard is what most FAs use to determine its eigibility for takeoff and landing use.

"Please prepare for final approach by making sure you seatbelts are fasten, seatbacks in the upright position and keyboards detached from your tablets for landing"
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:52 am

I was once told that my iPad was a laptop with the Logitech ultra light keyboard. I put the keyboard away and was left alone.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Dec 1, 2014 at 8:26 am
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I'd rather minimise the risk of injury to myself or others in any event. Things being thrown from hand in event of a hard shock would not surprise me.
If the shock is hard enough to knock a tablet out of someone's hand and airborne, then bags would be also be flying out of the overheads, beverage carts flying, etc. That's much more dangerous than a 1lb tablet. But it's likely a moot point because we died in the impact.

If tablets were as dangerous as you think, regulatory groups wouldn't allow their use in the first place. I couldn't fine a single instance (using google for 30 seconds) of a report where a pax has been hit by a flying tablet in flight. Considering millions of tablets are used in flight everyday without issue, it's a minimal (if any) risk that most folks, and regulatory bodies are willing to accept. If you want to worry about something, worry about getting in an accident on the way to the airport.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by HDQDD
If the shock is hard enough to knock a tablet out of someone's hand and airborne, then bags would be also be flying out of the overheads, beverage carts flying, etc. That's much more dangerous than a 1lb tablet. But it's likely a moot point because we died in the impact.

If tablets were as dangerous as you think, regulatory groups wouldn't allow their use in the first place. I couldn't fine a single instance (using google for 30 seconds) of a report where a pax has been hit by a flying tablet in flight. Considering millions of tablets are used in flight everyday without issue, it's a minimal (if any) risk that most folks, and regulatory bodies are willing to accept. If you want to worry about something, worry about getting in an accident on the way to the airport.
I hate using anecdotal evidence but I got hit in the face by a (fortunately soft cover) book in a Gulfstream in unexpected turbulence last year so I suppose it can definitely happen and has probably affected my view of the matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.