Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazon Echo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:50 am

This is AWESOME.
WeMo and Philips Hue products now work with Amazon Echo.

You can now use Echo to switch on the lamp before getting out of bed, turn on the fan or heater while reading in your favorite chair, or dim the lights from the couch to watch a movie—all without lifting a finger...or even raising your voice.

To get started, connect your WeMo and Hue devices to your home Wi-Fi and name them in their respective app. Then say, "Alexa, discover my appliances." After Echo's confirmation, you can control your devices by voice.

Things to try:

• "Alexa, turn on the hallway light"
  • "Alexa, turn on the coffee maker"
  • "Alexa, dim the living room lights to 20%"
  • "Alexa, turn on the electric blanket"
  • "Alexa, turn on the outdoor decorations"

Supported products:

• WeMo: Switch, Insight Switch, and Light Switch
  • Hue: A19, Lux, BR30, Bloom, and LightStrip lights

As always, the Amazon Echo team looks forward to your feedback via the Amazon Echo App and on social media (#AmazonEcho).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Need
After watching the video, I decided to sign up for it.

I can go on and on... My wife has an iPhone and iPad and both got Siri. My son has an iPad and it has Siri. Somehow I ended up doing all the checking and work. That's it I am quitting.. Alexa is going to take over LOL.
Do you honestly think that it will change anything? If you're everyone's gopher now, you'll just have a new tool to do the same thing.

On a side note, this thing reminds me of a smart fridge.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:47 pm

Received mine while out of town and finally got it setup tonight. Great!! Especially ability to link iHeartRadio and listen to my normal radio stations.

Not much else to report - only had it working for a few hours but its fantastic so far.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My biggest disappointment is that I can't get more of them
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:41 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I broke down and bought an Echo when it went on sale on Friday. As I've posted in the home automation thread, I'm slowly automating my home with SmartThings as a hub. Increasingly, posters on the ST message boards kept mentioning how Echo is a game changer when connected to their home automation system, so I was persuaded to make the leap. (Until the BF and I move in together, my home automation efforts are largely on hold because I don't feel like rewiring outlets and switches now only to have to move them to a new place in a few months. So this helps satisfy that itch.)

I've only played with Echo for a couple hours, but I love that I can tell it to turn on or turn off a particular light (one that's part of my HA setup) and it will do so. I need to mess around more with IFTTT (I know it's now officially IF, but like everyone else, I'm still referring to it by the old name). For those of you going the home automation route, how have you integrated it into your home?

My music purchases are spread between Amazon and Google. Anyone have any tips for getting it to play music from my Google Music account (where I've also synced my personal library)?

ETA: Also, best message board people have come across for discussing Echo setup, features and functionality?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:26 pm

Looks like Amazon has released two additional products

Wired write-up on the two new Echo devices: New Amazon ‘Tap’ and ‘Echo Dot’ Gadgets Unleash Alexa on the World

$90.00 for the Echo Dot Echo Dot : Must use the Amazon Echo or Fire TV to order the device.

$130.00 for the Echo Tap
Amazon Tap Amazon Tap
: Released 03/31/2016.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I bought the Echo Dot. My fiance and I are moving into a larger home this month, so we needed something. That said, I'm a little puzzled. If you read the ordering info it says:

Important: Echo Dot is available in limited quantities. When we sell out of Echo Dot devices, they will no longer be available. You can only order this device using Alexa. You can't order Echo Dot on the Amazon website or Amazon shopping apps.
Do we really believe this? I find it hard to understand why they'd do such a huge rollout announcement for something available in limited quantities.

(Optimally I'd like two, but have a hard time pulling the trigger on both right this moment.)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Important: Echo Dot is available in limited quantities. When we sell out of Echo Dot devices, they will no longer be available. You can only order this device using Alexa. You can't order Echo Dot on the Amazon website or Amazon shopping apps.
The bolded sentence makes it sound as if there is a single limited production run, and when it's sold there will never be more. That seems improbable, unless they have already designed an improved replacement?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Ordered an Echo Dot today as soon as I got the email. Been wanting something like that, and didn't want to shell out full price for another Echo.

I kind of believe the limitation, at least for now. Amazon limited Echo orders to one per account for a while, then went to two I think. So there are probably supply limitations, or they lose money on every device sold.

However, I only ordered one as I am sure there will be another iteration/variation out in due time. This has already happened - the Echo Dot got introduced as I waffled about buying a second Echo.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Ordered one. I'm interested in having a Echo for every room of the house and also one for travel.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't imagine anything I'd rather have less in my house than an Echo or its new little brethren.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by bowdenj
$90.00 for the Echo Dot Echo Dot : Must use the Amazon Echo or Fire TV to order the device.
Or you could use this link to order it: <mod removed referral link>

Last edited by gfunkdave; Mar 8, 2016 at 2:41 pm Reason: removed referral link
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I can't imagine anything I'd rather have less in my house than an Echo or its new little brethren.
Anything? How about a mimeograph machine?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Amazon Echo

The best thing about Alexa is when the sales associate at the Amazon bookstore by house told her to shut up and she did. 😄
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Anything? How about a mimeograph machine?
At least the mimeograph isn't listening to everything I say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.