Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How do you travel with this?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
The downside of living in a multi-person Echo household.

Me: Alexa, play Puccini on Spotify.

[Alexa starts playing heavy metal.]

Me: Alexa, play Tosca on Spotify.

[Alexa starts playing something that isn't opera.]

Me: Alexa, play Verdi on Spotify.

[Alexa starts playing something else that still isn't opera.]

Any guesses as to who was controlling Alexa? Hint: It wasn't me.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Whose Amazon account was it on?

Maybe they should have it on a phone or something.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Whose Amazon account was it on?

Maybe they should have it on a phone or something.
My account, though we're both connected to it, and his Spotify account. He was controlling via Spotify.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Echo ($129) & Tap ($79) On Sale 8/8/16

For those interested in jumping into or expanding Alexa's world, Echo and Tap are on sale today at several online and B&M merchants including:

Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Buy (But Tap is $99)
B&H Photo
Lowes
Staples
eBags

I went with a Tap from eBags to compliment the Echo I picked up on Prime Day. It is $79.99 on eBags, but not taxed for me. I also had $3 in points. All of my Amex cards had $10 back on $50 at eBags. Coupons are not allowed, but the Amex Offer already gave me the acknowledgement e-mail. For another bonus I went through the Chase Ultimate Rewards mall so hopefully I will get another 8 points/$ in UR even though I used an Amex to purchase.

My final price will be $66.92 with another $4 in eBags points, $10 in UR points and $1.50 in MR points for future use.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
The 2nd generation Amazon Echo Dot became available for $49.99 a couple days ago. Buy 5, get one free. I think they're supposed to ship October 20.

Last edited by Rampo; Sep 16, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had my Echo for about four months now and, while I like using it to play music and control the lights in the bedroom, I'm still not sure it's really a requirement or even a major convenience. What do people use their Echos for?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've had my Echo for about four months now and, while I like using it to play music and control the lights in the bedroom, I'm still not sure it's really a requirement or even a major convenience. What do people use their Echos for?
We're now up to 3: Kitchen, living room and master bedroom.

Before moving in together, Mr. CE liked to tease me that he's perfectly capable of turning lights on an off himself. He's come around.

Kitchen uses:
1. As a cooking timer
2. To add things to our shopping list (very useful for a multi-person household)
3. To listen to music or news, since we don't have a TV in that room
4. To silence our Nest Protect when cooking

Living room:
1. To listen to music
2. To turn all living room lights on and off
3. To settle arguments
4. As an alarm/timer

Bedroom:
1. As an alarm clock
2. To turn off bedroom lights and hallway lights
3. To listen to music
4. To adjust the thermostat

We don't yet have the Echo integrated into our TV, but I'd really like to get to the point where we can use it to search for shows on TV...remote controls are inefficient!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
We're now up to 3: Kitchen, living room and master bedroom.

Before moving in together, Mr. CE liked to tease me that he's perfectly capable of turning lights on an off himself. He's come around.

Kitchen uses:
1. As a cooking timer
2. To add things to our shopping list (very useful for a multi-person household)
3. To listen to music or news, since we don't have a TV in that room
4. To silence our Nest Protect when cooking

Living room:
1. To listen to music
2. To turn all living room lights on and off
3. To settle arguments
4. As an alarm/timer

Bedroom:
1. As an alarm clock
2. To turn off bedroom lights and hallway lights
3. To listen to music
4. To adjust the thermostat

We don't yet have the Echo integrated into our TV, but I'd really like to get to the point where we can use it to search for shows on TV...remote controls are inefficient!
What light system are you using? I have Hue and it's great to work with individual lights, but seems hit and miss with light groups.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by oneant
What light system are you using? I have Hue and it's great to work with individual lights, but seems hit and miss with light groups.
I wish I had a short answer for you.

We also use SmartThings. If I'm being disciplined, I add devices -- like bulbs -- to ST first and then use the Echo to discover them. For bulbs I used to use the GE Link but have had problems with them playing nice with ST. Cree Connected bulbs work well with ST. Separate from that, we use the TP-Link Smart Plug for lamps that don't use bulbs regularly available in smart systems Right now our "living room" group (created through Echo, not ST) consists of two TP-Link-connected lamps. Yesterday I hoped to add a ceiling fixture with two Cree bulbs but we ran into some fixture installation issues, so that hasn't happened yet.

Our condo is 90 years old, so we've had some hiccups with smart switches, which would be my optimal solution. For example, my master bath has four light switches -- two by the door that operate lights in half the room and two by the vanity that operate lights in the other half. Because there are 10 bulbs involved -- of varieties that aren't always available in smart bulb options -- I hope to ultimately have four smart switches, and then set up an IFTTT rule where if one switched is flipped, the lights controlled by the other three switches also turn on.

How have you tried to create groups? And what's your setup look like?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I wish I had a short answer for you.

We also use SmartThings. If I'm being disciplined, I add devices -- like bulbs -- to ST first and then use the Echo to discover them. For bulbs I used to use the GE Link but have had problems with them playing nice with ST. Cree Connected bulbs work well with ST. Separate from that, we use the TP-Link Smart Plug for lamps that don't use bulbs regularly available in smart systems Right now our "living room" group (created through Echo, not ST) consists of two TP-Link-connected lamps. Yesterday I hoped to add a ceiling fixture with two Cree bulbs but we ran into some fixture installation issues, so that hasn't happened yet.

Our condo is 90 years old, so we've had some hiccups with smart switches, which would be my optimal solution. For example, my master bath has four light switches -- two by the door that operate lights in half the room and two by the vanity that operate lights in the other half. Because there are 10 bulbs involved -- of varieties that aren't always available in smart bulb options -- I hope to ultimately have four smart switches, and then set up an IFTTT rule where if one switched is flipped, the lights controlled by the other three switches also turn on.

How have you tried to create groups? And what's your setup look like?
I try to keep automation limited in scope and as simple as possible. No automated locks, garage door, etc. I just don't trust external access to the internet.

For lights, I set up a few zones where timers, dimming, and using an app is the most convenient. Living room, kitchen table, dining room corner, the boys' playroom, their rooms, and porch. Most everything is on a timer for convenience, but the ability to control everything with Echo or Siri (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV) is really cool. But Echo is where I run into issues for some reason. Individual lights work perfectly, but the groupings (like the living room) don't seem to respond well.

The boys love being able to turn their lights low and blue at night rather than needing nightlights.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:38 am
Suspended

I like the old clapper.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by oneant
I try to keep automation limited in scope and as simple as possible. No automated locks, garage door, etc. I just don't trust external access to the internet.

For lights, I set up a few zones where timers, dimming, and using an app is the most convenient. Living room, kitchen table, dining room corner, the boys' playroom, their rooms, and porch. Most everything is on a timer for convenience, but the ability to control everything with Echo or Siri (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV) is really cool. But Echo is where I run into issues for some reason. Individual lights work perfectly, but the groupings (like the living room) don't seem to respond well.

The boys love being able to turn their lights low and blue at night rather than needing nightlights.
What system bulbs do you use?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I got a 2nd gen Dot bundled with a Hue lighting kit. I also picked up two additional Hue bulbs. I have to say that I really am scratching my head on it, though. Overly cumbersome. Light switches are simple and they work 100% of the time. Not 80% and sometimes you have to say the command again unless right now there is a hiccup in the internet connection in which case your Echo cannot process your command and you sit there in the dark. Light switch = 100%. Period. No explaining to visitors that they shouldn't use the switch on the lamp to turn it on and off and here is a list of voice commands they should use instead because if they use the switch your preprogrammed lighting pattern isn't going to execute and you'll be sitting there speaking at your voice box like an idiot and get frustrated unable to turn on your light. Nope. Switch. On. Off. Works. Turn lights on and off faster than I can get my needlessly oversized smartphone liberated from my pocket. Love my Echo. Can't stand the Hue.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:38 am

The 2nd gen Echo Dot is now $39 only. I broke down and got one and it is really really cool. We all got iphone or android in the house but it seem silly to talk to Siri or Google Now on the phone when you already have it in your hand. Asking Alexa seems a lot more natural.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.