Apple SIM Card

Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
How does privacy come into this? It ships with a SIM tied to the IMEI. Use it or don't.
I can see it being tied to an IMEI range, but not a specific IMEI. Imagine the hassles it would create in replacing the SIM.

Is this a micro or a nano SIM? I wouldn't be surprised if there is more circuitry to this SIM and that you can't cut it down. Then again, it might just be multi-IMSI like a Toggle SIM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Apparently, it's all about the SIM. Owners of older AIR ipads will be able to pickup the SIM at an Apple store and have the same access..
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:54 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
What hassle exactly?

When you pop a SIM into a device, the source provider is queried. If roaming is turned off, the SIM won't work. If roaming is turned on, the SIM works.

So now we know that all SIMs will ping the source provider when determining if it can be used or not. In this case Apple, or some telco they have selected to partner with, is that source provider.

In the factory the SIM from the source provider is placed in a specific device and the ID of the SIM and the IMEI are sent back to a server as linked to one another.

When you activate the device you are asked whether to activate the SIM. After checking to see if the SIM and IMEI match, your Apple ID is now linked to the pair for payment.

Let's say the SIM is damaged or lost and needs to be replaced. The new SIM is inserted and you are promoted to activate it. You get a notice that the old SIM will be deactivated. You agree and the new SIM is activated for that IMEI and now your Apple ID is linked to this pair.

Seems like a painless process to me. What am I missing with regards to privacy and hassle?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

This is something that I'm very excited about. Especially if it comes to the iPhone. I've spent a lot of time running around and getting SIM cards and then trying to get them to work in my iPhone. I ever bought a keepgo sim for my most recent Europe trip as to not worry about getting a different sim in each country. Imagine if picking a cell telecom is as easy as picking a wifi network. Upon landing, turn your phone on and a list of providers pops up. Pick the prepaid plan you want and then input your credit card details (chase ink?). By the time you're at the gate your phone is good to go. Game changer. No wonder the telecoms don't like this idea. I can see why it comes to the ipad first; it's already unlocked. Time to get more providers onboard.

FDW
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
...then input your credit card details...
I imagine that Apple wants to handle the billing through your iTunes account, and perhaps assess their customary 30% commission?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:46 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
I imagine that Apple wants to handle the billing through your iTunes account, and perhaps assess their customary 30% commission?
Oh yes. Good point. I'd give up the 5x in return for convenience.

Fdw
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:31 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Apple SIM Card

Sigh. Looks like if you use the apple sim on att then it's locked to att thus forcing one to get a new sim if one wants to change carriers. Legacy carriers are a PIA.

Fdw
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
We have been debating at work about how this likely works. We're assuming it is probably entirely software based with Apple's iOS carrier middleware inventorying a relatively ordinary SIM card on a transient basis or an always-on roaming arrangement like Amazon has for Whispernet where the device is effectively always roaming (and effectively making Apple an MVNO) rather than a fancy multi-identity, software defined or remotely provisioned embedded SIM.

Last edited by Error 601; Oct 25, 2014 at 2:42 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Sigh. Looks like if you use the apple sim on att then it's locked to att thus forcing one to get a new sim if one wants to change carriers. Legacy carriers are a PIA.

Fdw
May I ask the first eight digits of the SIM's serial number?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:03 am

I wonder if that would be the case if you traveled to the UK. Would it still be locked to AT&T or would you then be given the option of choosing a local carrier for that country?

Yes, the MNVO aspect makes sense.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:31 am

Now imagine the next step where Apple controls your master phone number and attaches it to your carrier de jour?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Now imagine the next step where Apple controls your master phone number and attaches it to your carrier de jour?
Apple did not make this move, AT&T did. AT&T's "implementation" was not Apple's intent at all.

Regards
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:12 am

Yeah, this article describes it and note that in the end AT&T will just look like jerks.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/24/att...-you-pick-att/
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Well, that was a short lived honeymoon. Utopia will have to wait.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by scubadu
Apple did not make this move, AT&T did. AT&T's "implementation" was not Apple's intent at all.

Regards
Did T-Mobile do the same thing as ATT? I read that ones bought at T-Mobile stores would be locked, but the TMobile ones bought at Apple stores wouldn't be locked.

I can't imagine that Apple wants to pick a fight with ATT over this -- at least not at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.