Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iphone 6 discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:27 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by EDGARP
Who has flown with the 6 plus so far? Any regrets on getting the plus? I am thinking though some of the usability like mobile boarding passes, handling the phone while juggling a laptop case, a suitcase, coffee, breakfast..you know the stuff we have to deal with lately. Do you think you will be likely to drop it more?

What about working out with it, shorts pockets tend to be smaller than pants pockets.

Thanks
I flew from LAX to Italy this week. No problems at all. I think the phone is fantastic.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How about exercising with it?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wco81
How about exercising with it?
I guess you could, but it is very light. I doubt you'd see much gain. I recommend sticking with dumbells.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Heh.

Considering the bending issue, not sure you want to put it on an arm strap, if your upper arm is long enough to accommodate it.

I've started using SPI belts (actually a knockoff that is suppose to be water/sweat resistant).

May also try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATIE5ZE/...=IF64H3K0NH65R

That pouch is 6 x 4 inches, which may be too big to have on your waist if you're doing some exercises which require bending your torso. That isn't big enough for the 6 Plus, supposedly they're going to come out with something slightly bigger.

I can get $310 gift card for my 5s but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to keep it as a backup and for using at the gym, even if I do get a 6 Plus.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: United, Aegean
I'll be flying through dubai airport next Friday night and wondering if any stores in the airport will stock the iPhone 6plus. Anyone know the airport well enough to know which store might stock it?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by wco81
In the settings app?
It's in settings/display and brightness.

There's (I think they are new) controls for text size, which is a slider on it's own page and also a toggle for bold text. I have the bold text option enabled on my 6, it's much easier for my old eyes to read. I played with larger text size also, but didn't like that as much as just the bold text.

There's also a setting for "Display Zoom" on it's own page, you can choose "standard" or "zoomed", and it shows three different screens as examples of how they look in either mode, so you can compare. I tried that too, but for me, the best option was just bold text and standard mode on the 6.

Anyway if you get a chance, play with all those setting on the 6+ and then see what you think of it.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 5, 2014 at 2:31 am
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by byrnesyliam
I'll be flying through dubai airport next Friday night and wondering if any stores in the airport will stock the iPhone 6plus. Anyone know the airport well enough to know which store might stock it?
In the mide of Terminal One of DXB is the largest duty free you've probably seen. There is a substantial electronics department there. The iPhone is out in Dubai, but I'm not sure if a version not tied to service is out yet. Be sure to know the models that cover the LTE frequencies you want.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:56 pm

Would the Verizon iPhone 6/6 Plus be compatible with Smartone in Hong Kong? Also, does Smartone use TD-LTE bands? If so, since Verizon's version doesn't include TD-LTE bands on the phones, how much of a difference would I notice?

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:41 pm

While I haven't personally confirmed this to be gospel, I am told that there is only one SKU for the 6 and one for the 6+ so they should be carrier agnostic.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got my T-Mo 6 that I ordered through Apple.

Popped in my AT&T SIM - all set and working fine.

I will say, this thing is a little big, and I really don't like the button on the side. I'm not sure I'll be as good with one-handed operation here. So far, I keep using two hands. I'm a little surprised that this is the small version. The Plus would be impossible for me.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: AS
I got the 6 on launch day and within a week I dropped it and it shattered the screen. $130 to fix, but since Apple had not supplied the store with new screens as of yet, they replaced my phone. Now I need to find a stronger case. My spigen didn't hold up...at all.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chuichi
Have you thought about getting the Note4? That's coming out soon!
I have a Note 3 and an S5. Both do everything the iPhone 6 does. And more. And they don't melt a hole through the desk when you update the operating system.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by robroy90
While I haven't personally confirmed this to be gospel, I am told that there is only one SKU for the 6 and one for the 6+ so they should be carrier agnostic.
https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Looks like there's two(ish) models (down from three on the 5/5s/5c). There's much more overlap in frequencies now, and AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile all use the same model now. The ATT/VZW/TMO version is missing just a few bands that the non-North-American (and Sprint) phones have:

Code:
38 (TD 2600)
39 (TD 1900)
40 (TD 2300)
41 (TD 2500)
All other bands are covered by the ATT/VZW/TMO. I haven't seen those particular frequency bands mentioned in my searches of all of the countries I've visited in the last few years, so I think it's pretty much now a world phone. (ETA: Upon further Googling, those bands are used by some carriers in China, Taiwan, and Japan.) (ETA again: I missed this helpful post earlier, which touches on these four bands--that poster claims they're used in a few other countries, too.)

The GSM and CDMA models appear to have different SKUs, which may represent a difference in the 2G/3G radios on the devices (the CDMA ones likely have both CDMA and GSM radios), but at least the LTE bands are now unified between them.

Originally Posted by Need
I think there was a test posted that using the iPad charger, the iPhone 6 was drawing 10W instead of 5W. Drawing twice the current would make it charge 2x faster.... unless of course the excess power turns into heat and then you phone would just blow up LOL.

My wife charge her iPhone 5s with her iPad charger all the time, but we didn't measure if it was charging faster...
While I haven't done any scientific testing, anecdotally, my iPhone 5 seems to charge quite a bit faster when I use a 1.5A+ charger. I've bought several off of Amazon (for much cheaper than the Apple ones) and have been quite satisfied with their performance.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Where would one unload an iPhone 6 that was nearly free because of all the iPhone 6 launch trade-in promos? Carrier is Sprint, and I'm content with my old iPhone 5 for the time being.

Sprint stuff is so hard to sell.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

If you're spending any length of time in New Zealand, you want a nice camera.

Probably nicer than any phone camera.

NZ along with Iceland are suppose to be among the most beautiful places in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.