Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Whoa. Stop the press!
You have place in your gizmo pouch to carry your iPhone earbuds in their original box (looking at your photo)? You sir, are either zen, or just too important, or both. Salut.

Originally Posted by GarethK
My tech pack hasn't changed much but had some refinement.

- Spare headphones in case

Last edited by arjunrc; Jan 5, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:29 am

I plug the laptop in at the hotel desk and use the 'always on' USB port to charge the Blackberry over night. I'll also charge up the iPad if needed - the battery PowerGen doesn't need charging during trips and the same for the Bose headphones. Worse case and I need to charge whilst travelling I use the Powergen pack.

Lenovo does a slimmer version of the power brick but it's £80 and not that much smaller so giving it a miss. I am very jealous at those that can use a two pin plug - I would have been one of the first backers of 'Dart'. I hope they make a UK version (their website is suggests 2015 - I can't wait). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...laptop-adapter
Whilst this does not address the power brick it, for a UK based person (such as myself) lumbered with a 3 pin plug, this is really useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Foldin...EPPS9WMB21C7EP

I needed to get a figure of 8 to cloverleaf adaptor off eBay for my Lenovo X230 but not carrying a full 3 pin plug does free up more space than you would think.

Likewise the fold flat USB chargers from Made In Mind

http://www.themu.co.uk

Again mean I can reclaim just a little more space.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arjunrc
Whoa. Stop the press!
You have place in your gizmo pouch to carry your iPhone earbuds in their original box (looking at your photo)? You sir, are either zen, or just too important, or both. Salut.
How funny

I didn't like how messy they looked in the cable pouch without the case
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:45 pm

I use an Air Canada amenity kit bag and have a Monoprice 4-port charger, 3 8" USB cables, a single UBS wall adapter, Edimax BR-6258, USB to Ethernet adapter and a short USB cable (1'?).

That's the go-to mini bag. The rest depends on the trip.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:41 pm

These goes with me everywhere, weighing 1lb & 12oz altogether. Laptop & tablet chargers live together separately inside a felt sleeve.

Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by GlobalTravelerMark
lots of talk about folding UK plugs
Note that both the Kikkerland UL03-A and the Wonpro WAT-NANO are folding UK while being international adapters.

Re: grid-it I tried it but at the end I disliked it -- there's always a feeling of lost space. You can squeeze so much more in a packing cube. Never heard of sanitizer pens before; that does look handy.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Both of those are VERY helpful thank you. Before I buy it does the Lindy cable really save that much considering you need an adapter also?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the picture, Speedy_j. You carry a reasonably light gizmo pack, so I chuckled when I noticed your Grid-it pack actually reads "rid-it" on the bottom right :-) I used the same Grid-it as you use now for quite a while - nothing impressed clients more than me pulling out the grid-it of my bag.

Originally Posted by speedy_j
These goes with me everywhere, weighing 1lb & 12oz altogether. Laptop & tablet chargers live together separately inside a felt sleeve.

Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:56 pm

I used the same Grid-it as you use now for quite a while - nothing impressed clients more than me pulling out the grid-it of my bag.
I got them in three different sizes and although keeps things organized and free of tangle, it does considerable 'bulk and weight'. I find several of the freebie amenity kits provided by airlines works better.

Now, I use the large/medium size grid-it to store my gizmo's in eBag and ready to repack depending how long a trip, etc. YMMV
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:40 am

Both of those are VERY helpful thank you. Before I buy it does the Lindy cable really save that much considering you need an adapter also?
Here it is with the adaptor on. It's really not that big and could live on the cable or the power brick or even just be left floating loose in your case

As I said, it doesn't save a huge amount of space but being flat gives you more options

Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Whilst this does not address the power brick it, for a UK based person (such as myself) lumbered with a 3 pin plug, this is really useful

I needed to get a figure of 8 to cloverleaf adaptor off eBay for my Lenovo X230 but not carrying a full 3 pin plug does free up more space than you would think.

Likewise the fold flat USB chargers from Made In Mind

Here it is with the adaptor on. It's really not that big and could live on the cable or the power brick or even just be left floating loose in your case

As I said, it doesn't save a huge amount of space but being flat gives you more options

Thanks for sharing this find.

I was Asia based in HK exclusively for quite a while so I just kept a set of UK to figure 8 at my temporary office and residence locker.
As I expand my consultancy to Singapore and Malaysia this would be handy as one the irritating part of the large UK plug is taken care of. When flying LCC the smaller your carry on is the less chance that they will weight it (7kg limit)
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:56 am

I used the same Grid-it as you use now for quite a while - nothing impressed clients more than me pulling out the grid-it of my bag.
The thing I love about the GridIt is that in the vertical bags I prefer, there's never enough pockets to distribute stuff. Stuff drops to the bottom of the bag or bottom of the pocket, and creates a big wad.

The GridIt spreads stuff out over it's entire surface area, making the entire height of the bag usable. Even packing bags/cubes concentrate all the chargers/cables in one place, making it basically a big solid block of incompressible stuff that you have to work around, and that create a danger of breaking your laptop in the event the bag gets something heavy tossed on top of it.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
pilotalan, thanks, that's a great idea, I will study how can I pack my BR VP275 better. You are right in how things navigate to the bottom. I have a spare Grid-It CPG8. You definitely made me think. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Absolutely correct - the grid it is a great system to properly space out your gizmos without adding wads/lumps. It is also a great solution if your gizmos can't fit on the side of your bag (this was the case with the smaller Gate8 version 1 laptop bags). Unfortunately these days I carry both my ipad mini(+keyboard cover) and MBP stacked on each other, so there is no more space to add a grid-it on top, but the new G8 laptop bags have more space on the side - hence my switch back to a pouch.

Originally Posted by pilotalan
The thing I love about the GridIt is that in the vertical bags I prefer, there's never enough pockets to distribute stuff. Stuff drops to the bottom of the bag or bottom of the pocket, and creates a big wad.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:00 pm

Couldn't have explain it better, pilotalan. I'm not as concern about the bag breaking but hate the "droopy bag" dilemma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.