Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:46 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Exhale. 50 percent outside the US over what period? Two months?
Yup, two consecutive months.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So all I need to do is stream some Netflix after I get home from each international trip. I got this

Thanks for sharing the letter contents!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Exhale. 50 percent outside the US over what period? Two months?
So in other words, download BIG for the time that you're in the US so that is skews the numbers to the point that 50% outside the US isn't going to happen...

I'm not surprised they've done this - we get a similar plan through work (large corporate), and we've got multiple people that live overseas and have a phone on this plan as it's the best option for international data. I'm sure there's a number of people on the grandfathered plan doing the same thing.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
The carving out of Vietnam is particularly annoying, it's now no longer part of ANY plan or even pay for access plan. Will be costly for those traveling there.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
The carving out of Vietnam is particularly annoying, it's now no longer part of ANY plan or even pay for access plan. Will be costly for those traveling there.
Boy they must gouge roamers. Their SIMs are cheap which makes it strange. What about the HK orange roamers SIM?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:29 pm

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Got the letter today as well. Definitely a sigh of relief! Heck, I'll go so far as to call it great news! No price increase is wonderful, and looks like I'll have no problem complying with the 50% roaming cap. I did spend two weeks of November in Germany, but I generally don't do that kind of travel two months in a row. And even then, my roaming total was far less than 50% of my total data usage for the month.

For a point of comparison, my total data usage that entire month was less than 1.5 GB including all Domestic and International data usage. I've always "tread lightly" with my roaming data usage- i.e. no streaming of video or music, etc.

Cuba and Vietnam would be nice additions one day, but I think this news is far better than most of us expected.

Cheers!

Kupe
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:01 pm

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Trying hard now to find any bad news among the good news!

What I found is that apparently the International Day Passes cannot be added to any of the grandfathered Unlimited Plans- domestic or international. I just tried and the only add-on options were the old Passport add-ons.

My wife has the grandfathered Domestic (used to be $30, now $40) and I have the grandfathered world Unlimited (still $64.99).

Why would one want to? The Day Passes include unlimited Voice calling as I read it. Yes, of course one can always Skype or use one of the other VOIP apps over LTE or 3G, but on occasion it would be handy for just a few days to be able to use the phone as is from any of the Day Pass countries.

Still, not a terrible sacrifice to keep the Unlimited World LTE!

Kupe
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:12 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by kupe
Trying hard Yes, of course one can always Skype or use one of the other VOIP apps over LTE or 3G
I'm actually quite pleased with the call quality of Facetime Audio and it serves the purpose of family calls for me. Usually I can limit the need for voice calls other than family so it's an easy solution here.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by gwade
I'm actually quite pleased with the call quality of Facetime Audio and it serves the purpose of family calls for me. Usually I can limit the need for voice calls other than family so it's an easy solution here.
Like I said. All good! ^
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:14 am

Can anyone confirm how this legacy international data plan operates in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos? Seems Vietnam is a NO at this point, but I've gotten conflicting reports from AT&T about Cambodia and Laos.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Can anyone confirm how this legacy international data plan operates in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos? Seems Vietnam is a NO at this point, but I've gotten conflicting reports from AT&T about Cambodia and Laos.
Worked for me in Cambodia a couple years ago (3G I seem to recall). Didn't get to Laos.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by kupe
Worked for me in Cambodia a couple years ago (3G I seem to recall). Didn't get to Laos.
Thanks for the data point. Although in the fast mowing world of data plans and coverage access a two year old data point probsbly isn’t a reliable fact. Anyone with more recent experience?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Slower speeds than normal

I was overseas last week in mainland China. I travel there 3-5 times a year and i have the AT&T grandfather unlimited international data. I use 3-5gb per month and less than 1gb international data. For the first time my data was running at speeds of 0.5mbps for download. I had a project fi phone and connecting on the same network the project fi phone would get great speeds.

Has anyone else experience this while traveling abroad.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:58 am

No, but a word of warning -- ProjecrFi is nearly unusable on Hong Kong. You can get it running kind of, sort of, but it is a hobbyist project.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
So it looks like Vietnam is now included in the list of international countries under "Passport" but not "International Day Pass".

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/in...untries.html#v

Wonder what this means for our unlimited plans? Is Vietnam now included (again)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.