Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:27 am
whl
Original Poster

Currently in Sydney with my international unlocked Note 5. Getting 4G+ (not 4G) coverage in city center with very impressive download and upload speed of between 10 Mbps to 30 Mbps. When I was in Australia (Brisbane) the last time in July 2014, I was only getting H+ speed.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:23 pm

I was in Australia earlier in the year and my experience was the same. I made a number of VOIP calls over LTE and never switched to cellular. This includes an 1.5 hour conference call.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:58 am

Was in Peru a few weeks ago and worked great on Claro LTE just about everywhere: Iquitos, Lima, Cusco, and Machu Picchu. Where there was no LTE the HSPA+(3G) was pretty good too.

About a week before that I was in Mexico and it seemed to work pretty good on Movistar LTE and Telcel LTE. Other countries I stopped at on this trip it worked pretty good on Movistar HSPA+(3G) network in El Salvador and on HSPA+ on +Movil in Panama.

As far as the price increase I have yet to see it. My regular (non international) unlimited data lines already got the increase but my line with the unlimited international data is still showing $64.99.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:31 pm

I am in Bermuda right now and have only HSPA roaming, but it seems pretty peppy. My tablet is on Project Fi and it seems to be doing OK.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: UA GS
I've been looking around online without much luck. Does anyone have any insight into purchasing or taking over an AT&T plan with this Unlikited Internationals data package? I'm sick of the stupid Passport packages as I always go over the limit.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
I've been looking around online without much luck. Does anyone have any insight into purchasing or taking over an AT&T plan with this Unlikited Internationals data package? I'm sick of the stupid Passport packages as I always go over the limit.
They occasionally pop up on EBay but I would think they'd be real hard to transfer. Look at Project Fi. It comes pretty close.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by kupe
Hey gang-

With the recent news that ATT will be raising the price on the grandfathered Domestic Unlimited plans ($30 to $35), has anyone heard anything on price changes to our grandfathered ATT International Unlimited Plans?

Thanks!
Well, if by recent you mean eight months ago. ;-)

but we have two of the grandfatherered int'l roaming plans and have received no indication of changes to pricing YET.. HF doesn't have any chatter about it either.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Regardless of unlimited plans, do folks know if AT&T finally has a new agreement with any telecom in Vietnam? Was there back in 2015 and got voice but NOT data. Seems data is limited according to the coverage map online but wanted to triple check to see if anyone has recent feedback.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I just bought a Viettel SIM.

2 or 3 GB for $10-15.

Viettel now has LTE, not the fastest, but as high as 20 Mbps.

The hawkers at arrivals section of airports push Mobi and Vinaphone though, so you may have to hunt it down in the cities.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So.... uh oh.

I just got the following text:

AT&T Free Msg: Effective 05/05/17, your unlimited international data plans will change. A letter will be sent to the billing address on record outlining how these changes impact your plan. For questions or to cancel your service due to this change, visit att.com/myatt or call us at 800.331.0500
Of course, no details on their site or on myAT&T, so I get to wait for the USPS to tel me how I'm about to get screwed.

I'm particularly annoyed because I signed an extra two year contract right before they stopped doing them specifically to lock in the plan as long as possible.

Anyone have any insight into what's changing?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:16 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Yeah, just got that and came here to find out what's up...my guess is they will raise the price to try to incentivize folks to adopt the new plans, but we shall see.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I haven't gotten the text yet, but was heading here today to find out about ways to still transfer from a blackberry this plan to an iphone or android. I recall historically that there was a special number (for FAN or Premier accounts) and codes that needed to be carried over.. but it all could be moot soon enough. Can't wait to see what they say, indeed having kept it alive on one device (and increasingly considerable marginal cost compared to alternatives) I'd be pretty pissed if they pulled it now without some consideration.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:39 am

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Originally Posted by BenA
So.... uh oh.

I just got the following text:

Of course, no details on their site or on myAT&T, so I get to wait for the USPS to tel me how I'm about to get screwed.

I'm particularly annoyed because I signed an extra two year contract right before they stopped doing them specifically to lock in the plan as long as possible.

Anyone have any insight into what's changing?

Just got that text as well. Ruh-roh. Have had this plan on my various iPhones for so long without a price increase- I feared this was coming. Anyone with details please share!

Kupe
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I'm on the phone with them now. I got the text a few minutes ago. They seem to have no idea what I am talking about. Okay, they hung up on me.

How's the T-Mobile plan?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I'm on the phone with them now. I got the text a few minutes ago. They seem to have no idea what I am talking about. Okay, they hung up on me.

How's the T-Mobile plan?
They don't have any international high-speed plans other than adding a data pass per day or per week for $15 and up.

And we're talking paltry amounts, like a few hundred megabytes.

Of course last year, they gave postpaid customers free high speed LTE data in Europe and I believe Brazil, during July-August and some other period in the year.

Hoping they do the same again but now that they're pushing the One plan and trying to get people with the cheaper Simple Choice plans to upgrade, they may not be as generous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.