Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014: Favorite Android App

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
ES File Explorer

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned ES File Explorer. It's free and has no ads. It's really useful for managing files.

xPosed is also great although only for root users.

- Republic Wireless Moto X, Black 16 GB, Temp Root 4.4.2
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:56 am

Is this thread still about travel apps? 'Cause, I was looking for some recommended travel apps, and it seems that it's no longer about that.
I'm looking for free (or as cheap as possible) apps that will be useful when traveling, with maps, POI and such. Can anybody help?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Faith123
Is this thread still about travel apps? 'Cause, I was looking for some recommended travel apps ... for free (or as cheap as possible) apps that will be useful when traveling, with maps, POI and such. Can anybody help?
MapFactor Navigator - with free downloaded USA maps (by State) and for many countries worked great for us, on my backup Motorola Atrix 4G (rooted/custom rom) with prepaid voice plan only (no data) . - it worked offline.
We just used it last week inside Grand Canyon's South Rim/Village where T-Mo didn't have signal/coverage - was roaming on USA-Commnet so no data. Navigator was good as Google NAV was out of the question, it picked up GPS and pull up offline maps & even showed our locations riding the free park service shuttle bus.
-
For others, M$ Office Mobile is now free for Android users - no longer need Office 360 to get it and it is not trialware. Now, I just have to figure out if I wanted to keep Docs To Go, Quickoffice and M$ Office on the device after moving up to 5.0 Lollipop later this week.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
One I found recently on a Best of list for 2014 is

Citymapper

From the play store:

"Comprehensive. A to B journey planner including all transport modes (walk, bus, subway / metro, cycle / bike, cab / taxi, train / rail, tram, ferry)."

While the list of cities it covers is not hugh it does cover some of the majors

" NEW YORK CITY, CHICAGO, SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, WASHINGTON DC, BOSTON, London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and Rome. (more coming..)"

I've not used it yet - other than a quick play around to see if it would be of use but it certainly looks ok, and I'll be giving it a whirl during a 23h connection in London in a few weeks
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:23 am

Just found a new one called Flight routes.

Useful for just looking at flight routes.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:43 am

Anyone use Foodspotting for finding restaurants on the road? I've heard good things but haven't tried it out yet.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
My new favorite for the moment is Pie Control. It makes one handing the Nexus 6 very easy.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I used some Amazon coins to purchase 80 Days. This is an excellent game. If you grew up reading Choose Your Own Adventure novels, this takes it to the next level. The only problem is that it is a battery hog, so playing multiple times on a long flight may not be feasible.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Dec 18, 2014 at 10:52 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Here's one that I'm sure has quite limited appeal, but I'm going to throw it out there: Hoopla. My library subscribes to this service where (granted, a limited amount of) content can be downloaded to my phone for up to 72 hours offline viewing. On a recent three-hour Detroit layover, two of them were spent watching an episode of the British crime series Campion. You can stream as well, but I find the signal in airports themselves not always completely reliable for that sort of bandwith (I'm a T Mobile customer FWIW).

I use Smart Audio for audiobooks and Aldiko for ebooks.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My county's library system subscribes to Hoopla, but I find the content very lacking.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
My county's library system subscribes to Hoopla, but I find the content very lacking.
Definitely limited - however, it's got British crime dramas and such that appeal to my nerdy self! I mentioned it here for the downloadable aspect to watch the stuff inflight.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:11 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Not sure about "favorite," but FoxItPDF is the only PDF viewer that works on my HTC, so it gets my vote.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I used some Amazon coins to purchase 80 Days. This is an excellent game. If you grew up reading Choose Your Own Adventure novels, this takes it to the next level. The only problem is that it is a battery hog, so playing multiple times on a long flight may not be feasible.
^ Wow that looks awesome. Just bought for my Nexus 6.

One thing I hate about the Play Store is it's difficult to discover really good games.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I started having force closing issues with the game this morning on my Nexus 7 tablet. I sent an e-mail to the developers. I got a reply in 3 minutes saying they had to clear out something on their server, and it worked again.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:03 pm

See this thread for options to support extended play time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.