Reload this Page >

2014: Favorite Android App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014: Favorite Android App

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:01 pm

If you have T-Mobile, then MLB 14 is free for a year. It's a limited time offer worth $20. Audio feeds of all games, compressed game videos of all games, plus more!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA
Just wondering if anyone has experience using the Uber taxi app on an Android phone. I downloaded it today and signed up for an account. On my phone, it seems unable to access my PayPal account. Don't have the problem using the Uber website.

If I can get it working with PayPal, I think it could easily become one of my favorite Android apps.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by cubbie
Just wondering if anyone has experience using the Uber taxi app on an Android phone. I downloaded it today and signed up for an account. On my phone, it seems unable to access my PayPal account. Don't have the problem using the Uber website.

If I can get it working with PayPal, I think it could easily become one of my favorite Android apps.
I use it on Android, but have my Uber account linked to my AmEx. I just tried adding PayPal as a payment method and got an error that it could not connect to my PayPal account . . . so it looks like you're not alone.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bobster
If you have T-Mobile, then MLB 14 is free for a year. It's a limited time offer worth $20. Audio feeds of all games, compressed game videos of all games, plus more!
Promo offer has been around for at least 3 weeks already
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
New favourite app

Google Search.

No, really. I just got the 3.5.x update to Google Search and started reading about "Okay Google Everywhere". Wow. Now I know how Moto X users feel.

First, I do talk to my phone. Unashamedly. It has its uses. One of those uses, of course, is when driving, and this is where the update is brilliant as it finally enables mostly hands-free everything (found a few small issues, such as problems recognizing while playing music, but this can be combined with Tasker proximity sensing in a pinch). So before, where you'd need to drop back to the home screen to call or send a text or get new directions, you can now do it from any screen. Then a quick "open maps" will send you back to navigation when you're done.

Plus, being able to get simple data from the lockscreen is great. No more unlocking the phone to call people (and yes, this may actually be a security problem, but I have to run some tests with the voice model to see if they finally blocked other people from using 'Okay Google').

I have to say, this is the best new feature to hit the phone since I've got it.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Jul 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:40 pm

Are there any apps where you can define a walking route within a city and guide you to the various destinations? Looking for something to help an upcoming trip to Europe.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Uber

Originally Posted by cubbie

I like Uber, although I use a credit card, not PayPal. I don't use it often, but when in major city with no cabs in site, it is wonderful. (Especially for a woman at night.) I love it gives you the plate number, car description and picture of driver. No worrying about figuring out tip, either.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
*** Free Apps *** yes, free on Amazon App Store for 2 days

Free Apps, valued up to $100 on Amazon App Store for Android - email alert received, good for next 48 hours - essential Apps & Games, etc.

Log into their App Store & claim yours - for FT's: Kayak Pro and *** FlightRadar24 Pro (*** Kindle ed. only) are now free, if you don't have them already on Androids

FlightAware also recently updated their mobile app with lots of extra features, very nice if you haven't check it out lately.

Enjoy ^

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 31, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OnTheCentreline
I have been a long-time Roboform user and fan and use the software on local drives; however, its Android version compels users to store data in cloud and while I'm sure it is secure up there, I have not reached the comfort level to do so myself, B-Folders 4 provides a useful alternative.
I am a former roboform fan. I switched to Lastpass. It imported all my info from roboform. It does cost $12 annually for the mobile/Android /iPhone? Version.

It supports the chrome browser as well as Dolphin and Firefox. In addition, you can configure it to input passwords to applications.

PS It does store passwords locally and in the cloud.

Last edited by Explore SE Asia; Aug 1, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I love Swype but would like to try Swiftkey as well.

I like the gmail app rather than the native mail app because the search seems better.

I love audible. Also DoNotDisburb.

google Translate.
SwiftKey is free now.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:13 am
Suspended

Clean Master and Battery Doctor helps to extend battery life.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Can you tell us more about how the GEL works? I tried it for a little while when I got my new phone (a Droid Maxx which is terrific), but I didn't find any real advantages. I didn't give it much of a chance though. I don't think the Droid Command Center widget worked on it, and I've come to like that widget quite a lot.
GEL doesn't give any benefit for the Droid MAXX which is just a bigger version of the (root stock ROM) Republic Moto X that I have. Use Moto's default launcher. I have Nova Prime 3.0.2 and LOVE it, especially for the ability to hide apps that clutter my app drawer.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
GEL doesn't give any benefit for the Droid MAXX which is just a bigger version of the (root stock ROM) Republic Moto X that I have. Use Moto's default launcher. I have Nova Prime 3.0.2 and LOVE it, especially for the ability to hide apps that clutter my app drawer.
I like Google Now Launcher ("new" name since it wa sput in the Play Store a few months back) and the instant availability of Google Now by one swipe. I also like the always-on "OK, Google". That feature is native even without Google Now Launcher in the Droid Maxx, though, isn't it?

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Aug 20, 2014 at 7:42 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I like Google Now Launcher ("new" name since it wa sput in the Play Store a few months back) and the instant availability of Google Now by one swipe. I also like the always-on "OK, Google". That feature is native even without Google Now Launcher in the Droid Maxx, though, isn't it?
I use Nova Launcher Prime 3.0.2 which is $3.99 but there is a free version. It's the same thing as Google Now Launcher but with a few more customization options. "OK, Google" is native in the Droid MAXX with a few Motorola addons in 4.4 and later, "Read my notifications" for example.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Free Amazon Apps are back for next 48 hours

Just another heads-up, go nowhere with this ORD mess this morning with fire affecting ATC

*** select Free Apps *** yes, it's back again on Amazon App Store for 2 days valued up to $135 on their App Store for Android - essential Apps & Games, etc. Some are good for Kindles and tablets.

Log into their App Store & claim yours - for FT's: OfficeSuite Pro 7, Perfectly Clear (photo/image editing,) Genius Clear+ (for all those receipts & charge slips) and Swype Keyboard (if you don't already have it) and City Maps 2Go Pro (offline map, travel guide & POI) Get it & decide whether to install them later on - we put some of them on the backup devices to use when offline or while in airplane mode.

Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.