Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Well, if the "latching" does not take place automatically like they say, then I have no clue as to how I am supposed to do it manually on my Android phone. SimToolkit is not active if that is the method.
It happens automatically except when it doesn't, and their documentation does not provide the slightest clue how to tell whether it has or hasn't. I'm still desultorily pursuing a refund of £7.38 I was charged in September for a six-minute US-to-UK call (instead of the promised £0.18) because my phone wasn't latched to Toggle.

You can call Toggle Customer Support at +44 7438 646 322 to find out whether your phone is on the Toggle network. Prime your ears for some really impenetrably-accented English. (-: Toggle says they charge 9p/call for these calls now, but my account wasn't charged for the call I made a few days ago.

I'm not sure where you find the SIM menu on an Android phone as I never had to use it while in Europe and my Android phones are locked to Verizon in the States. I'd start by looking in System Settings.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by HappyCamp232947239
Bug in Android. SIM Toolkit will NOT show up unless you have a PIN active on your SIM.

Setup SIM card lock in Settings->Security. Reboot the phone and enter your PIN. Then you should see SIM Toolkit in your Application list.
Yes, that is what I was trying to avoid, I didn't explain it at all well ! Thanks.

.....however.....I just tried to set it and it seems to have one associated with it already judging by the error message I get. I have 1 go remaining so will have to leave it alone otherwise this could turn into a farce if I lock it after the first day. More digging required.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
My dumb phone says "toggle" (all lower case) when it's on Toggle's network. When it says "Toggle Mobile" it costs around US$2/minute. ):
I can only get the SIM to work on the "Toggle Mobile" network, and not the "toggle" network. It was fine for my limited purpose (I just wanted to make a 1 min call to myself to keep the SIM active), but would be pretty peeved if I were actually trying to use the phone here in the US. I still have no idea how to get to the "toggle" network. It doesn't show anywhere in the list of available networks.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
I can only get the SIM to work on the "Toggle Mobile" network, and not the "toggle" network. It was fine for my limited purpose (I just wanted to make a 1 min call to myself to keep the SIM active), but would be pretty peeved if I were actually trying to use the phone here in the US. I still have no idea how to get to the "toggle" network. It doesn't show anywhere in the list of available networks.
I use an old unlocked GSM phone I bought on eBay for US$20.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I guess I am missing something on Android. Here is what I did and now I get that menu that allows me to "latch".

Android 4.2.1, Dual Sim Acer Liquid E2 Duo.
Settings>Security>Set up SIM card lock>"select the toggle sim">Select "Lock SIM card". Do not try to enter a code like I did ! Once that is done then find SIM Toolkit in apps.
SIM Toolkit>TOGGLE>Select "Automatic" or "Manual". Automatic seems the default, Manual gives you a list of the countries that you can "latch" to.

And, to disable voicemail enter *185# then press the call button.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:00 pm

OK, I guess I am missing something on Android. Here is what I did and now I get that menu that allows me to "latch".

Android 4.2.1, Dual Sim Acer Liquid E2 Duo.
Settings>Security>Set up SIM card lock>"select the toggle sim">Select "Lock SIM card". Do not try to enter a code like I did ! Once that is done then find SIM Toolkit in apps.
SIM Toolkit>TOGGLE>Select "Automatic" or "Manual". Automatic seems the default, Manual gives you a list of the countries that you can "latch" to.

And, to disable voicemail enter *185# then press the call button.
Interesting. I was able to select Automatic or Manual in SIM Toolkit, but Manual was only giving me Spain as an option (that was the last place I had used the Toggle SIM).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
It happens automatically except when it doesn't
Sounds like condoms. They prevent pregnancies, except when they don't.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I was able to select Automatic or Manual in SIM Toolkit, but Manual was only giving me Spain as an option (that was the last place I had used the Toggle SIM).
Are you sure that you don't mean "Manuel" then ? Might explain everything (if you watch Fawlty Towers!).

Anyway, I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens when I do turn up in the US later this month to see what gets selected.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:25 am

Odd only Spain. As UK should always be an option. The other ones come and go depending on if you have an active number or not.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HappyCamp232947239
Odd only Spain. As UK should always be an option. The other ones come and go depending on if you have an active number or not.
I have 1 active UK number, 1 active US number, and I see the entire list of countries where you can get a local number in.

Today's challenge for me would appear to be guessing the code so that I can accept the APN settings.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:52 am

Dumb question, maybe, but: is your phone unlocked in the US market? If you're a Verizon customer, it probably isn't.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:54 am

I have 1 active UK number, 1 active US number, and I see the entire list of countries where you can get a local number in.

Today's challenge for me would appear to be guessing the code so that I can accept the APN settings.
You can find the APN settings on this page. Which makes one wonder, why doesn't Toggle publish the settings itself?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:01 am

You can find the APN settings on this page. Which makes one wonder, why doesn't Toggle publish the settings itself?
Every time I am in a new country, I receive an SMS with APN settings
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They sent them in a text to me too - but I wanted to be able to accept the config they sent to me, but to do that I needed to know the SIM code which I am fairly certain is 0000 as it has never been set but I do not want to risk it at the moment. I will add it manually at some stage but mobile data really doesn't bother me.

And - you may already know this - but as the Toggle site is a little clunky, using a combo of the Lycamobile and Toggle site means that one can find most things out that you need. Which might prove famous last words !
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:37 am

Thanks for posting those APN settings! I have never gotten a text with them, so that's weird.

Sorry for the confusion - yes, I got both UK and Spain. I meant to say that Spain was the one different country that they offered me. The phone is definitely unlocked - it's a Google Nexus 4 that we ordered directly from Google, so it is default unlocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.