Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung S4

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper

Definite S4 advantage, albeit one common to all modern Android phones I know of.
Originally Posted by cheltzel
This something I discovered over my last 2 or 3 trips. My phone, tablet, eReader, and media player all use the micro-USB for connectivity and charging. All are from different manufacturers.
In fact, I believe the EU and China have both mandated that all new mobile phones sold in those jurisdictions be able to charge with a standard micro USB plug. I think iPhones sold there come with a free microUSB to Lightning adapter to comply with this.

A big industry association (I forget which one) of which Apple is a member said it would standardize all mobile phones on micro USB last year or the year before. Apple still does its own thing.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can buy the adapter in Europe, it is not included with the phone for free. The EU regulations allow for the use of an adapter, and do not require it be given to you for free, only available for purchase.

4.2.1 In order that compatibility of as many Mobile Phones as possible with a Common EPS
may be enabled, if a manufacturer makes available an Adaptor from the Micro-USB connector
of a Common EPS to a specific non-Micro-USB socket in the Mobile Phone, it shall constitute
compliance to this article.

In china it is included in the box.

Last edited by cordelli; Mar 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
A big industry association (I forget which one) of which Apple is a member said it would standardize all mobile phones on micro USB last year or the year before. Apple still does its own thing.
I'm opposed to regulations forcing manufacturers to do what is common sense: forgo the extra revenue they could make by selling proprietary chargers but more than make up for it by increasing the appeal of the devices and selling more of them as a result.

Samsung will sell more S4s because people like the fact they can charge them easily and cheaply even without a Samsung charger.

Apple should be allowed to do what they want and keep selling special incompatible charging equipment at a premium - the market will (and is) punish them for it.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
This something I discovered over my last 2 or 3 trips. My phone, tablet, eReader, and media player all use the micro-USB for connectivity and charging. All are from different manufacturers.

All I carry is one generic 115/220V USB charger and 1 USB/micro-USB cable. If the plane has both power and USB ports at the seat, I can charge 2 devices at the same time.
Assuming the USB charger has sufficient amperage; a 2A tablet charger can charge lower-power devices, but an 1A phone charger won't charge some tablets at all and will charge others very slowly, and an older < 1A charger won't even charge all phones.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the market will (and is) punish them for it.
Silly grammar quibble: "will (and is) punish" is a verb tense conflict; "will (and does) punish" or "will punish (and is punishing)" would fix that. :P
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by nkedel
Assuming the USB charger has sufficient amperage; a 2A tablet charger can charge lower-power devices, but an 1A phone charger won't charge some tablets at all and will charge others very slowly, and an older < 1A charger won't even charge all phones.
I must have gotten lucky. My charger seems to do all of my devices in a reasonable amount of time.

Besides, my laptop has 4 USB ports. This is what I use for most of my travel charging.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Played with an HTC One this past weekend - lovely device, but that lack of an SD card slot is a deal break for me

I'll never understand how a company can make something so nice, then screw it up so quickly.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must have gotten lucky. My charger seems to do all of my devices in a reasonable amount of time.
Handy. My tablet (Galaxy Tab 2 7") is of the "will charge on 1A, but takes forever" variety; all of my other devices are quite happy with anything, although I don't think I have any sub-1A chargers in use any longer (I have some from older devices, but the ones I can still find are all mini-USB rather than socketed or micro-USB.)

Besides, my laptop has 4 USB ports. This is what I use for most of my travel charging.
Most recent (USB3-equipped ones from the last year or two at least) laptops seem to be able to charge devices requiring 2A; until recently, it was a bit more hit or miss -- lot of complaints from iPad-owning friends when those first came out.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nkedel
Silly grammar quibble: "will (and is) punish" is a verb tense conflict; "will (and does) punish" or "will punish (and is punishing)" would fix that. :P
Not silly. I sometimes type quickly and don't proofread.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The difference is that you can charge an S4 with a widely available, universal, cheap ($1) USB cord, rather than buying an expensive one from Samsung.
This is a big positive for Android. I carry one charger when I travel (my 2 amp Note II charger) and charge everything with it.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ScottC
Played with an HTC One this past weekend - lovely device, but that lack of an SD card slot is a deal break for me
Have you played with an S4 yet? What if the lack of mSD slot is not a deal breaker for a consumer? Which would you prefer the One over the S4?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Have you played with an S4 yet? What if the lack of mSD slot is not a deal breaker for a consumer? Which would you prefer the One over the S4?
Yes, someone from a large tech site let me touch an S4 this weekend - feels very much like an S3 but with a sharper screen. The ONE on the other hand is a completely different beast - just a stunning design. I'm not a fan of HTC sense or any other parts of their customizations, so the first thing I'd do is root (if possible) and stock it.

The stuff on the S3/S4 can mostly be removed or replaced, so it doesn't bother me as much.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cordelli
Yeah, it's good that the Galaxy people are price sensitive, given the extreamly low cost of the phone

US - An unlocked Galaxy S4 probably will cost around $800...
I don't believe that is correct, or the pre-release prices are accurate. A no contract S3 can be bought for under 600 and Samsung will keep the S4 pricing in line with the IP5 - definitely not list it for 200 more.

Does anyone have a model list matrix for the S4? As the US release is uncommitted as of now (no set date), I would like to look at the international model to determine its frequency set and compatibility with the ATT network including 4G data (not LTE).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.