FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Samsung S4 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1447848-samsung-s4.html)

mooper Mar 14, 2013 6:29 am

Samsung S4

The Samsung S IV announcement party is tonight in NY. Details here. Rumors abound, as expected, about what the phone will contain. Thoughts? Will this thing follow in the footsteps of the S3 and be a big hit, or even bigger? How will Apple respond?

cheltzel Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 20417562)
The Samsung S IV announcement party is tonight in NY. Details here. Rumors abound, as expected, about what the phone will contain. Thoughts? Will this thing follow in the footsteps of the S3 and be a big hit, or even bigger? How will Apple respond?

The only thing I've seen so far ...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/apples-schi...7--sector.html

msb0b Mar 14, 2013 10:27 am

The leak is all over the web: http://sammyhub.com/2013/03/11/pictu...e-galaxy-s-iv/

The major changes are 1080p full hd 5 inch display and 1.8GHz quad core processor. Other features stay more or less the same. More evolutionary than revolutionary IMO.

Galaxy S IV is not for me. In the Android arena, I would only buy a Nexus device. Nexus 5 is rumored to be announced during Google IO in June; I will be waiting for that one.

ScottC Mar 14, 2013 10:28 am

Amazing what a long way Samsung has come in such a short time - three years ago nobody really cared about their bland phones, and now they are getting the same buzz as Apple gets before a launch.

nerd Mar 14, 2013 10:51 am

Five inch display??

Guess I'll have to carry it in my murse, since it definitely won't fit in my skinny jeans.

mooper Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am

Originally Posted by msb0b (Post 20418718)
Other features stay more or less the same. More evolutionary than revolutionary IMO.

Higher rez camera with panoramic features, better display, etc. definitely evolutionary, but I read rumors of various gesture controls and payment features that would be revolutionary. Can't wait to see it.

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 20418856)
Five inch display??

Guess I'll have to carry it in my murse, since it definitely won't fit in my skinny jeans.

Bigger displays aren't for everyone. The iPhone 5 has a 4 inch one for those who like smaller, or if you prefer Android, a strength there is choice...lots of good phones in the 4-5 inch range. My wife has had the Note 2 for a few months now, and while I thought its 5+ inch display would be too much, I now prefer it. Might not fit in tight 80s jeans, but could be used with mom-jeans, as it's thin enough. ;)

docbert Mar 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 20418856)
Five inch display??

Don't worry - the 5 inch rumors turned out to be incorrect.

According to the now-released details, it's only 4.99"...

Gargoyle Mar 15, 2013 6:00 am

adds face/eye tracking.
Look away while viewing a youtube video, and the video will automatically pause.
look up and down to scroll a page.
that sort of thing is incorporated.

GUWonder Mar 15, 2013 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 20423340)
adds face/eye tracking.
Look away while viewing a youtube video, and the video will automatically pause.

Sounds like big battery-eater functions but nice nonetheless.

CPRich Mar 15, 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 20423340)
a

Actually it isn't, contrary to all the pre-release rumors. Scrolling is by tilting the phone up and down. That sounds a lot easier to replicate in an OS update than eye-based scrolling.

Gargoyle Mar 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 20424672)
Actually it isn't, contrary to all the pre-release rumors. Scrolling is by tilting the phone up and down. That sounds a lot easier to replicate in an OS update than eye-based scrolling.

and also less prone to disconcerting unwanted scrolling. tilting is more deliberate; eye direction is subject to myriad brief distractions.

Internaut Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm

An eminently worthy upgrade for S2 owners but nothing to have S3 owners crying into their beer IMHO. One thing I've noted before though: If you want equivalent power in a more pocketable device, there's only really Apple, with major Android manufacturers throwing everything at their monster phones. Samsung had a chance in this area with the S3 Mini but instead played on the S3's name rather than it's power.

Braindrain Mar 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Personally, I'm impressed they were able to get a bigger screen and much bigger battery into a slightly smaller form factor.

I was waiting to see what the S4 would bring before deciding whether to buy a (used) S3 - and wait for the prices to drop. But, considering that I was expecting the S4 to be much bigger, I might wait for the S4 prices to drop on the open market.

planemechanic Mar 15, 2013 9:09 pm

It seems the general consensus is "meh".

Braindrain Mar 16, 2013 12:24 am

Must be all the Apple blogs you're reading... :D

In reality, the sales numbers will be the final judge. Personally, I'm no fan of 5" screens and not really a fan of Samsung phones, but have been genuinely surprised at how well the S3 has sold - which has a 4.8" screen.