Samsung S4

Old Mar 14, 13, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Samsung S4

The Samsung S IV announcement party is tonight in NY. Details here. Rumors abound, as expected, about what the phone will contain. Thoughts? Will this thing follow in the footsteps of the S3 and be a big hit, or even bigger? How will Apple respond?
Old Mar 14, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by mooper View Post
The Samsung S IV announcement party is tonight in NY. Details here. Rumors abound, as expected, about what the phone will contain. Thoughts? Will this thing follow in the footsteps of the S3 and be a big hit, or even bigger? How will Apple respond?
The only thing I've seen so far ...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/apples-schi...7--sector.html
Old Mar 14, 13, 10:27 am

Programs: Dirt
The leak is all over the web: http://sammyhub.com/2013/03/11/pictu...e-galaxy-s-iv/

The major changes are 1080p full hd 5 inch display and 1.8GHz quad core processor. Other features stay more or less the same. More evolutionary than revolutionary IMO.

Galaxy S IV is not for me. In the Android arena, I would only buy a Nexus device. Nexus 5 is rumored to be announced during Google IO in June; I will be waiting for that one.
Old Mar 14, 13, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazing what a long way Samsung has come in such a short time - three years ago nobody really cared about their bland phones, and now they are getting the same buzz as Apple gets before a launch.
Old Mar 14, 13, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Five inch display??

Guess I'll have to carry it in my murse, since it definitely won't fit in my skinny jeans.
Old Mar 14, 13, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Originally Posted by msb0b View Post
Other features stay more or less the same. More evolutionary than revolutionary IMO.
Higher rez camera with panoramic features, better display, etc. definitely evolutionary, but I read rumors of various gesture controls and payment features that would be revolutionary. Can't wait to see it.

Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Five inch display??

Guess I'll have to carry it in my murse, since it definitely won't fit in my skinny jeans.
Bigger displays aren't for everyone. The iPhone 5 has a 4 inch one for those who like smaller, or if you prefer Android, a strength there is choice...lots of good phones in the 4-5 inch range. My wife has had the Note 2 for a few months now, and while I thought its 5+ inch display would be too much, I now prefer it. Might not fit in tight 80s jeans, but could be used with mom-jeans, as it's thin enough.
Old Mar 14, 13, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Five inch display??
Don't worry - the 5 inch rumors turned out to be incorrect.

According to the now-released details, it's only 4.99"...
Old Mar 15, 13, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
adds face/eye tracking.
Look away while viewing a youtube video, and the video will automatically pause.
look up and down to scroll a page.
that sort of thing is incorporated.
Old Mar 15, 13, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
adds face/eye tracking.
Look away while viewing a youtube video, and the video will automatically pause.
Sounds like big battery-eater functions but nice nonetheless.
Old Mar 15, 13, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
a
Actually it isn't, contrary to all the pre-release rumors. Scrolling is by tilting the phone up and down. That sounds a lot easier to replicate in an OS update than eye-based scrolling.
Old Mar 15, 13, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Actually it isn't, contrary to all the pre-release rumors. Scrolling is by tilting the phone up and down. That sounds a lot easier to replicate in an OS update than eye-based scrolling.
and also less prone to disconcerting unwanted scrolling. tilting is more deliberate; eye direction is subject to myriad brief distractions.
Old Mar 15, 13, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
An eminently worthy upgrade for S2 owners but nothing to have S3 owners crying into their beer IMHO. One thing I've noted before though: If you want equivalent power in a more pocketable device, there's only really Apple, with major Android manufacturers throwing everything at their monster phones. Samsung had a chance in this area with the S3 Mini but instead played on the S3's name rather than it's power.
Old Mar 15, 13, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Personally, I'm impressed they were able to get a bigger screen and much bigger battery into a slightly smaller form factor.

I was waiting to see what the S4 would bring before deciding whether to buy a (used) S3 - and wait for the prices to drop. But, considering that I was expecting the S4 to be much bigger, I might wait for the S4 prices to drop on the open market.
Old Mar 15, 13, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems the general consensus is "meh".
Old Mar 16, 13, 12:24 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Must be all the Apple blogs you're reading...

In reality, the sales numbers will be the final judge. Personally, I'm no fan of 5" screens and not really a fan of Samsung phones, but have been genuinely surprised at how well the S3 has sold - which has a 4.8" screen.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: