Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Silver Fox
This is a stub Wiki for this thread - the idea is that any member can edit it to keep it up to date as a distillation of the best info from the thread.

3 - 200MB Free data SIM
3 - 15 pounds for 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and unlimited 3G data for a month (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=112) The deal might not be dead but to buy the addon you need to switch WiFi off (!!) and open http://three.co.uk/my3 on your device as this unlinked support page says. Three customer service and store both says this doesn't work with tablets -- however customer service are idiots and doesn't know what is a tablet only knows phones and iPads (both phone and chat -- this is apparently company level). Tread carefully. Anyways, this method still worked on January 13, 2015.

Note the GBP15 all you can eat deal has now been pulled(Note 8/3/16: All in one with All you can eat data is now GBP25): http://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/AIO20B

If you don't want to buy a bundle or a plan, Three's flat rate for calls is now 3p per minute. The expiry time of one month or three months for topups has now been removed. So you pay only 3p per call minute for what you use.

Three's data is only 1p per MB, and you can buy packages (eg 500MB for 5 pounds). The packages ("add-ons") may not save money directly, but those data packages are eligible for use in "Feel at Home" countries (Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, Indonesia, Macau, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sweden, USA) at no extra charge. See http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=EXT(EM11925)

EE: http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

Vodafone: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk

O2: https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

giffgaff: www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/nfh (£5 free credit) or www.giffgaff.com/orders/free-sim (no free credit)

Three: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

How do I top up with an overseas card, or can I use PayPal?

Strangely, some firms insist that you must use a UK issued credit card to topup. Some do take PayPal:

Giffgaff
Vodafone

But it is not as prevalent as it should bein this day and age admittedly. There is a firm that some people have reported success with and they are:

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/

What frequencies are used in the UK?

There are a total of 5 different frequencies used in the UK used by the mobile networks to deliver their 2G, 3G and 4G mobile services.

800MHz (Band 20)
900MHz (Band 8)
1800MHz (Band 3)
2100MHz (Band 1)
2600MHz (Band 7)

Here's a chart for iPhones and which bands each model can use. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

If you're not sure which model you have, look on the back of your iPhone or go into Settings-->General-->About-->Legal-->Regulatory

iphone 5 users note that: iPhone 5 cannot get 4G/LTE on the 800MHz or 2600MHz frequencies but it can on the 1800 frequency.

For other users there are a number of resources to check the frequency your phone supports including:

Global Certification Forum

As an example this is the data for a Samsung J1 Ace SM-J111F

GSMARENA

What frequencies do the different operators use?

Each operator in the UK utilises different frequencies to deliver their mobile networks with the core networks being EE, O2, Vodafone and Three. Then there are also operators, called mobile virtual network operators (MVNO), who utilise the backend of the core networks to offer their own services.

The frequencies used by the major UK networks are:

EE (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz & 2600MHz

O2 (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Vodafone (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 2600MHz

Three (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHZ

The frequencies used by UK’s MVNO’s are listed below:

Asda Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

BT Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

iD Mobile (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz

Freedom Pop (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHz

GiffGaff (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Lebara Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

LycaMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

TalkMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

TalkTalk (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Tesco Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

The People’s Operator (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

Virgin Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz, & 2600MHz

Please add and edit!
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Actually, the card I have in my Amazon cart is This one. I saw the one you linked to and wasn't so sure if was the right thing since it didn't list France and quoted prices in Euros. Was worried it was some non-UK version of the Toggle. Also, not sure what size SIM it is. But I guess it's probably full size. I need micro. That would be OK I think because I can get it cut down.

I don't think I need to get a USA number before I leave and use it within the USA. I was just hoping maybe I could get it activated for use in the UK before leaving. But I understand if that's not possible on a "foreign" network since I think the Toggle is still essentially a service intended to be based in the UK. just wondering what would happened if I stuck the SIM into my phone and tried to get it activated to the point where I could add money to it. But if you really can't do it on line and have to call, I guess I would be in a catch 22 with no way to call them.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Actually, the card I have in my Amazon cart is This one. I saw the one you linked to and wasn't so sure if was the right thing since it didn't list France and quoted prices in Euros. Was worried it was some non-UK version of the Toggle. Also, not sure what size SIM it is. But I guess it's probably full size. I need micro. That would be OK I think because I can get it cut down.

I don't think I need to get a USA number before I leave and use it within the USA. I was just hoping maybe I could get it activated for use in the UK before leaving. But I understand if that's not possible on a "foreign" network since I think the Toggle is still essentially a service intended to be based in the UK. just wondering what would happened if I stuck the SIM into my phone and tried to get it activated to the point where I could add money to it. But if you really can't do it on line and have to call, I guess I would be in a catch 22 with no way to call them.
You don't have to do anything for use in the UK provided you get a UK Toggle SIM. Its main number will be a UK number, and it should work as soon as you turn on the phone in the UK.

Provided the $17.99 card has a UK number, it will work for you, with the advantage that it comes with credit. I'm afraid it may have a Netherlands number though. Since the ads don't mention it, I think the $8 one at your link doesn't have any credit, which means you'd have to figure out how to top it up before you could use it.

I called Toggle support with my Google Voice account at US$0.02/min. Their UK number is +44 7438 646 322.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:11 pm

well, I am gonna have to top it up anyway, right? I mean, even if it came with a bit of credit, It wouldn't be much.

I have google voice, but don't understand how to place a call using not only google voice number, but also having it charge through. Really don't fully understand it. Thought it just used up my minutes on my cell phone plan.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:16 am

well, I am gonna have to top it up anyway, right? I mean, even if it came with a bit of credit, It wouldn't be much.

I have google voice, but don't understand how to place a call using not only google voice number, but also having it charge through. Really don't fully understand it. Thought it just used up my minutes on my cell phone plan.
Jeff,

You can buy Google Voice credit in US$10 increments. Most calls to the UK cost only $0.02/minute, so $10 will last you approximately forever.

Once you've got the credit, if you have Google Voice for Android you can set it to handle all international calls automatically. Once you have that set, you can just use your phone's regular dialer. You'll know it's working because immediately after you initiate an international call, Google Voice will tell you the per-minute rate.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:09 am

Thanks. I checked the google voice rate for that number to Toggle and it's like 23 cents a minute. Only thing that 2 cents a minute is land line. That number shows up as some mobile.

Anyway, back to the Toggle SIM and service. What data speeds do I get from the network it uses? Do I get 3G? As long as I get 3G in the UK and Fance, it's OK. The phone I am using for this (A LG Google Nexus 4) doesn't do 4G LTE.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:25 am

Thanks. I checked the google voice rate for that number to Toggle and it's like 23 cents a minute. Only thing that 2 cents a minute is land line. That number shows up as some mobile.

Anyway, back to the Toggle SIM and service. What data speeds do I get from the network it uses? Do I get 3G? As long as I get 3G in the UK and Fance, it's OK. The phone I am using for this (A LG Google Nexus 4) doesn't do 4G LTE.
Sorry, I guess I gave you the wrong number. Try +44 20 7132 2322.

I'm pretty sure only 3G was available in both England and France. Toggle uses the O2 network in England and the Bouygues network in France.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Sorry, I guess I gave you the wrong number. Try +44 20 7132 2322.

I'm pretty sure only 3G was available in both England and France. Toggle uses the O2 network in England and the Bouygues network in France.
Ok.. Great. 3G is the best my phone can do. But it's good enough for the type of things I need to do. I'm assuming that the Toggle SIM I linked to is the UK one. Are there really other non-UK toggles? I thought they were all UK based. I have sent a message to the Amazon seller about it, but haven't heard back. Need to order this today to ensure I have it in time.

Don't worry about the number. The number you gave was the same on their website as a number to contact from outside the UK. The number you gave me just now does show up as a landline number for 2 cents a minute. ^
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:56 am

Ok.. Great. 3G is the best my phone can do. But it's good enough for the type of things I need to do. I'm assuming that the Toggle SIM I linked to is the UK one. Are there really other non-UK toggles? I thought they were all UK based. I have sent a message to the Amazon seller about it, but haven't heard back. Need to order this today to ensure I have it in time.

Don't worry about the number. The number you gave was the same on their website as a number to contact from outside the UK. The number you gave me just now does show up as a landline number for 2 cents a minute. ^
Toggle also sells SIM cards with Netherlands main numbers. You definitely don't want one of those, as the UK data bundles won't work with them.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:19 am

Thanks. Is the UK number printed on the SIM card carrier? Or do I not know what it is until I activate it? I'm just crossing my fingers that the card I am ordering is the UK variety.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:48 am

Thanks. Is the UK number printed on the SIM card carrier? Or do I not know what it is until I activate it? I'm just crossing my fingers that the card I am ordering is the UK variety.
It's in the package somewhere, can't remember exactly where. I didn't have any trouble figuring it out, in any case.

The picture on Amazon.com for the card you linked to had a UK flag on it. FWIW, that suggests it's really the UK card.

Good luck with this. Toggle really worked fine for me this summer except for the top-up issues and the account-draining call I placed after I got back to the States. I'm still waiting for resolution of that item. The company has a good product but their website and phone service both leave a lot to be desired.

To minimize data usage, I made sure all apps with the setting available were set to download only over wifi. I also disabled sync when away from wifi, but I found that forgetting to do so never cost me any appreciable credit.

Toggle puts some handy shortcuts on the phone, which they document in the little user guide. *137#, SEND runs a little applet that reports your data usage.

When you buy a top-up, you'll get a PIN number. *131*[PIN#], SEND applies the top-up.

To buy a data bundle you enter
  • *141*5000, SEND for 500 MB
  • *141*7500, SEND for 1 GB
  • *141*1000, SEND for 2 GB.

Let us know how it works out.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:33 am

Thanks. The seller responded and confirmed it was the UK Toggle and also that it's a dual Standard SIM/Micro SIM. So, I just have to pop out the Micro SIM portion and put it in my tray and pop it in my phone.

Once I get it, I'll worry about seeing if I can get it all setup and running with a UK number from the USA. Dunno if I really NEED a local US number with it too, but why not? Just to try it out quickly. As far as data, if I get a 500 MB one, I think I'll be OK just based on usage patters in the past when I am out and about all day. I already have it set to NOT auto download app updates. I do have other things always on like email and what not. But with 500 MB, I won't blow through it. At least, while in London. When I get to Paris, it will be a different story. I'll have to be careful there. Probably turn off email syncing and Facebook notices and stuff. And maybe just keep the phone OFF or in airplane mode until I need to do a quick foursquare checkin or Facebook update or use Google Maps
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:54 am

Thanks. The seller responded and confirmed it was the UK Toggle and also that it's a dual Standard SIM/Micro SIM. So, I just have to pop out the Micro SIM portion and put it in my tray and pop it in my phone.

Once I get it, I'll worry about seeing if I can get it all setup and running with a UK number from the USA. Dunno if I really NEED a local US number with it too, but why not? Just to try it out quickly. As far as data, if I get a 500 MB one, I think I'll be OK just based on usage patters in the past when I am out and about all day. I already have it set to NOT auto download app updates. I do have other things always on like email and what not. But with 500 MB, I won't blow through it. At least, while in London. When I get to Paris, it will be a different story. I'll have to be careful there. Probably turn off email syncing and Facebook notices and stuff. And maybe just keep the phone OFF or in airplane mode until I need to do a quick foursquare checkin or Facebook update or use Google Maps
You'll have to set up the APN as shown here, but you don't need to do that till you land in London. That's enables the data. By starting your trip in England, you avoid the chicken-and-egg problem I faced when I started in France: I had to get hold of an unlocked GSM phone to get my French number activated before I left. It worked fine that way though.

My dumb phone never "latched" automatically like it was supposed to in the States. (That's Toggle's term, which you'll see on their site. It means "connected to the right network.") I had to pick the right one. That's how I ended up spending ten dollars on a six-minute call to my wife, who was still in London. It worked fine in England and France.

I think you'll be fine if you just turn off synching in France. I have a widget to toggle it on & off. I used data to get bus routes from the RATP app. I realized I'd depended on the metro on past visits because it's so easy, and therefore missed a lot of nice bus trips. The RATP app sometimes likes to get you off the bus a few stops too soon, but it's not bad. If you only have one day in Paris you'll be fine riding the metro though.

Be sure to get an Oyster card in London. The tube is unbelievably expensive without one, like US$6 per trip. It's not cheap with an Oyster card but you save a bundle.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:37 pm

thanks.

What is this "Toggle Mobile App" Do I need to install something from the Play Store to use this?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:43 pm

thanks.

What is this "Toggle Mobile App" Do I need to install something from the Play Store to use this?
Do you mean the app I mentioned that toggles your phone's Sync setting on and off? It's got nothing to do with Toggle Mobile. It's a widget you install from the Play Store to turn your sync setting on & off. I shouldn't have used the word toggle, given the subject of our discussion.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Do you mean the app I mentioned that toggles your phone's Sync setting on and off? It's got nothing to do with Toggle Mobile. It's a widget you install from the Play Store to turn your sync setting on & off. I shouldn't have used the word toggle, given the subject of our discussion.
No I mean from this in the FAQ you linked to for setting your profile.

How does the Toggle SIM card work?
All you need to do is ensure that your mobile handset is unlocked and then simply switch your UK SIM card for the European SIM card. The SIM card works on a Pay-As-You-Go basis therefore in order to continue to use the SIM card you must purchase top-up vouchers online or over the phone.

To make sure you avoid all roaming charges you must select the correct profile for the Home Country on arrival. On your handset, go to Toggle Mobile Menu --> Toggle --> Select Mode --> Manual --> Select the country where you are.

Please note the default profile is the UK Profile. On some handsets, after changing profiles, you may need to restart your phone to activate it.
Is this Toggle Mobile some app I have to install? I really don't understand this cell phone stuff and APNs and switching carriers and all that stuff. I just know I can take the active AT&T SIM from my work phone and stick it it my Nexus 4 and turn it on and it just works. Voice.Text. Data. I don't have to change settings or anything.

It seems with Toggle, I'll have to futz around with some of this stuff. I looked at that Tweaker app mentioned

How do I configure my Smartphone for Toggle & data?
The easiest way to do this is to use the brilliant application from Tweakker. This brilliant FREE application will automatically configure your iPhone or Android handset. And best of all since Toggle works in the UK you can do it before you travel abroad!
I installed it on my phone, but it just crashes every time I start it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.