FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1447540-prepaid-sim-uk-great-britain-england-scotland-wales.html)

CelticFlyer Jan 7, 13 12:32 pm

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales
 
Some UK airport WH Smith stores have started selling the UK version of Toggle - a Lyca Mobile brand. The main differentiatior is multi-IMSI capabilities. There is a group of countries which attract lower call/data rates and for which local numbers can be acquired. These "Toggle" countries currently include: Australia, France, Denmark, Ireland, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany & Poland.

Local numbers free for 30 days or 5 GBP/year to keep.

Details at: www.togglemobile.co.uk

Web site is currently offering a free Toggle SIM card to UK addresses:

https://account.togglemobile.co.uk/f...t.aspx?lang=EN

There is also a Netherlands version of the product at http://www.togglemobile.nl

At 15p/Mb the data isn't the cheapest but the list of countries that attract the low rate is good so not bad for city hopping with a smartphone. The UK version of the product has also started offering data bundles for use in the UK.

In some ways Toggle seems to be delivering what Truphone teased for so long....

UK numbers are 07438 Lyca numbers so may be chargeable from T-Mobile UK lines due to their longstanding disagreement.

freecia Jan 25, 13 7:38 pm


Originally Posted by CelticFlyer (Post 19994729)
Some UK airport WH Smith stores have started selling the UK version of Toggle - a Lyca Mobile brand. The main differentiatior is multi-IMSI capabilities. There is a group of countries which attract lower call/data rates and for which local numbers can be acquired. These "Toggle" countries currently include: Australia, France, Denmark, Ireland, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany & Poland.

Local numbers free for 30 days or 5 GBP/year to keep.

Details at: www.togglemobile.co.uk

Web site is currently offering a free Toggle SIM card to UK addresses:

They'll also mail the SIM to the USA. I requested it via their contact page. There's a free sim offer without credit going on until Jan 30 which was already extended a few times.

Topup minimum is 10 GBP and they also take PayPal now. It does seem handy for city hopping with a smartphone.

blackjack-21 Jan 26, 13 11:30 pm


Originally Posted by freecia (Post 20125341)
They'll also mail the SIM to the USA. I requested it via their contact page. There's a free sim offer without credit going on until Jan 30 which was already extended a few times.
Topup minimum is 10 GBP and they also take PayPal now. It does seem handy for city hopping with a smartphone.



Can anyone using the Toggle service let us know as to call quality and roaming outside the major cities? Also, reading their T&C's says that your info also goes to India and you agree that by activating the sim that your information would then be available to third parties, including your birthdate. Doesn't that invite lots of spam mail and possibly security issues?

bj-21.

freecia Jan 28, 13 5:23 pm


Originally Posted by blackjack-21 (Post 20131271)
Can anyone using the Toggle service let us know as to call quality and roaming outside the major cities? Also, reading their T&C's says that your info also goes to India and you agree that by activating the sim that your information would then be available to third parties, including your birthdate. Doesn't that invite lots of spam mail and possibly security issues?

bj-21.

Thanks for the head's up on T&C. I haven't received mine to activate, so I didn't look there, yet. They might outsource some of their customer service to India but I'll be sure to read the details before activating.

dfree86 Feb 3, 13 2:09 pm

Hey guys
 
I used to live in the UK and had a UK phone so didn't have to deal with SIMs. Here's what I'm wondering:

I'm on AT&T with a Galaxy S3 phone:

Can I just get off the plane, buy a pre-paid SIM (probably O2) with messages and data, switch it out with my US SIM - and I'm all set? I'm worried my US phone is gonna not work with the SIM or not be compatible.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Sorry for being a noob - heh.

thanks!

jackal Feb 3, 13 2:11 pm


Originally Posted by dfree86 (Post 20178526)
I used to live in the UK and had a UK phone so didn't have to deal with SIMs. Here's what I'm wondering:

I'm on AT&T with a Galaxy S3 phone:

Can I just get off the plane, buy a pre-paid SIM (probably O2) with messages and data, switch it out with my US SIM - and I'm all set? I'm worried my US phone is gonna not work with the SIM or not be compatible.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Sorry for being a noob - heh.

thanks!

If your Galaxy S3 is SIM-locked, which it likely is if you purchased it from AT&T in the U.S., then you will not be able to use a non-AT&T SIM in it.

If you have had your phone for more than two years (not likely, as the S3 is not that old), you can ask AT&T to SIM-unlock it for you, in which case you can then use a non-AT&T SIM in it. If it is not yet two years old, you can search for some services online who may be able to help you (not quite legitimately) SIM-unlock the phone for you.

dfree86 Feb 3, 13 2:15 pm


Originally Posted by jackal (Post 20178537)
If your Galaxy S3 is SIM-locked, which it likely is if you purchased it from AT&T in the U.S., then you will not be able to use a non-AT&T SIM in it.

If you have had your phone for more than two years (not likely, as the S3 is not that old), you can ask AT&T to SIM-unlock it for you, in which case you can then use a non-AT&T SIM in it. If it is not yet two years old, you can search for some services online who may be able to help you (not quite legitimately) SIM-unlock the phone for you.

Hey thanks! What a quick response.

So what would be my options then? I have an iPhone 4 that I no longer use (it's what I had before the S3) and that one is more than two years old. Would I be able to buy a UK Sim and use it in that one? It's a normal sized SIM (not mini or micro).

Does it seem like that would work? Otherwise I might have to buy a whole phone over there and I don't fancy it.

How about Holiday Phone? Would that work in either case?

Thanks SO Much.

richarddd Feb 3, 13 2:29 pm

To use a UK SIM, you need a phone that is not SIM locked to a US carrier.

jackal Feb 3, 13 2:33 pm


Originally Posted by dfree86 (Post 20178552)
Hey thanks! What a quick response.

So what would be my options then? I have an iPhone 4 that I no longer use (it's what I had before the S3) and that one is more than two years old. Would I be able to buy a UK Sim and use it in that one? It's a normal sized SIM (not mini or micro).

Does it seem like that would work? Otherwise I might have to buy a whole phone over there and I don't fancy it.

How about Holiday Phone? Would that work in either case?

Thanks SO Much.

Your iPhone 4 should work if it's an AT&T phone (I did the same with my old iPhone 4, which I then used with a Claro SIM in Peru). However, you'll need to get AT&T to unlock it before you leave. You might be able to do that by going to an AT&T or Apple store; otherwise, you may need to do some research online to see how to get it unlocked by AT&T over the phone since it's no longer your active phone. Those instructions are probably a bit beyond the scope of this thread, but it should be doable.

I'm sorry, I don't know what a Holiday Phone is.

dfree86 Feb 3, 13 3:05 pm


Originally Posted by jackal (Post 20178649)
Your iPhone 4 should work if it's an AT&T phone (I did the same with my old iPhone 4, which I then used with a Claro SIM in Peru). However, you'll need to get AT&T to unlock it before you leave. You might be able to do that by going to an AT&T or Apple store; otherwise, you may need to do some research online to see how to get it unlocked by AT&T over the phone since it's no longer your active phone. Those instructions are probably a bit beyond the scope of this thread, but it should be doable.

I'm sorry, I don't know what a Holiday Phone is.

Okay - cool. Called AT&T and got my old iPhone4 unlocked. Just connected to iTunes and backed it up.

By all counts - I should now be able to put a prepaid UK micro-SIM into it and use it while I'm in the UK? Hope so!

jackal Feb 3, 13 3:15 pm


Originally Posted by dfree86 (Post 20178815)
Okay - cool. Called AT&T and got my old iPhone4 unlocked. Just connected to iTunes and backed it up.

By all counts - I should now be able to put a prepaid UK micro-SIM into it and use it while I'm in the UK? Hope so!

Congratulations! Yes, it should work. If you have access to a friend with a non-AT&T SIM card, it might be worth testing, but it should work. (It did for me.)

richarddd Feb 3, 13 3:24 pm


Originally Posted by dfree86 (Post 20178815)
By all counts - I should now be able to put a prepaid UK micro-SIM into it and use it while I'm in the UK?

It should work

dfree86 Feb 3, 13 3:37 pm

Great - so it should even work if I pop my buddy's US Sprint SIM Card in it, yeah? And it would effectively be like his phone since it has his SIM in it, yeah? If that works, then I'm golden.

thanks for all the help!

jackal Feb 3, 13 3:56 pm


Originally Posted by dfree86 (Post 20178995)
Great - so it should even work if I pop my buddy's US Sprint SIM Card in it, yeah? And it would effectively be like his phone since it has his SIM in it, yeah? If that works, then I'm golden.

thanks for all the help!

It should, although keep in mind that Sprint (and Verizon, for that matter) is a CDMA carrier, which uses a completely different technology and frequency band than AT&T's and T-Mobile's GSM phones (GSM is also used by the rest of the world--Sprint and Verizon are the outliers). Don't be surprised if you put your buddy's Sprint card in in and you don't get a signal. However, if you put the SIM card in and you do not get an error (i.e. it looks like the phone works fine except it can't get a signal), you should be good. If you put the SIM card in and get an error about the SIM not being for the right network (I don't recall the exact text of the error), then it likely won't work in the UK.

dfree86 Feb 3, 13 3:59 pm

Great - so it should even work if I pop my buddy's US Sprint SIM Card in it, yeah? And it would effectively be like his phone since it has his SIM in it, yeah? If that works, then I'm golden.

thanks for all the help!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:06 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.