Prepaid SIM - France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - France

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
[QUOTE=richarddd;25764073]As I read Three's website, under the basic 3-2-1 plan, data is 1p/mb in the UK and 10p/mb in France, which is not "at UK rates even used in France". However, there's an add-on that gives you 500mb for £5 (1p/mb), even in France. See the links I posted.

In that case richarddd then it's looking like if you purchase the "add-on" then you will be paying the same as you would in the UK, no? so it does charge you same as at home then. As stated.

FWIW on the pure data SIM side, not mixed with voice, I can confirm it absolutely does charge the same as at home.

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Nov 25, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by jamar
Not always. The last time I went to France I asked the store staff at an SFR shop in Paris why prices they wanted to charge me were so much higher than I found on their website, and why they were telling me there was no cheap EU roaming option on their plans. One "demande d'abonnement" and photocopy of my passport later I found myself signed up to a monthly plan with SFR. Cancelling that one was not fun.
I've had absolutely rotten service from SFR and would steer clear of them.

If you'd taken the right contract with Orange you could have cancelled with just 10 days notice. At any time. That doesn't mean I'm a particular fan of Orange, though, in case you were wondering.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:49 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Hey folks,

I will be in France (Paris, Avignon, Nice) for 1.5 weeks next month.

I will be bringing my iPhone 6. I will probably need quite a bit of data - but almost no voice nor texting.

What's the best, most economical, plan for my situation?

I found http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/ - and the data only sim card looks good (19EUR @ 1GB to start, 38EUR for 3GB top up). But I wanted to know if those are still the best rates. Also, would it be easy to buy this card in person?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by dtc
Hey folks,

I will be in France (Paris, Avignon, Nice) for 1.5 weeks next month.

I will be bringing my iPhone 6. I will probably need quite a bit of data - but almost no voice nor texting.

What's the best, most economical, plan for my situation?

I found http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/ - and the data only sim card looks good (19EUR @ 1GB to start, 38EUR for 3GB top up). But I wanted to know if those are still the best rates. Also, would it be easy to buy this card in person?

Thanks!
Check out the SFR Welcome Carte. The SIM runs €10 (occasionally cheaper), and the €15 Welcome top-up gives you 1GB, as well as an hour of calls and 500 texts to US or European numbers. Data topups are cheaper, at €10/GB or €35/4GB. You also get LTE, which I don't believe you get with LFM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Check prepaid sim with data wikia (google it).

Think for dat, Lets Go is probably the best choice. Orange now calls it pochette pret a surfer. The Wikia will have the details. More than a couple of gigs becomes stupid expensive.

So after June 2017, when roaming charges go away, maybe go to UK or Italy first and get better deals there and then roam in France. That is if you were going to visit those other countries on the same trip.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by wco81
Think for dat, Lets Go is probably the best choice. Orange now calls it pochette pret a surfer.
When they rebranded the old Let's Go product, they added a prohibition against using the SIM in a phone; la pochette Prêt-à-surfer is meant only to be used in tablets and hotspots.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It was always data only.

So not useful in phones.

Presumably they don't require SMS to activate or register in that case.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:30 am

Checking remaining data balance

I got an Orange sim from an Orange store. This was very easy and it was activated immediately. However, I can't figure out how to see how much data I have remaining. I've tried #123#, but can't find anything in the menus which tells me how close I am to exhausting my data. Any tips?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by knic27
I got an Orange sim from an Orange store. This was very easy and it was activated immediately. However, I can't figure out how to see how much data I have remaining. I've tried #123#, but can't find anything in the menus which tells me how close I am to exhausting my data. Any tips?
You can log onto your account at www.orange.fr with your phone # (you'll need to know or create your password). Go to "espace client" and "vos contracts". Then click on "mon suivi conso" and then "credit". You should see how much you have left.

Last edited by SFOTerry; Apr 15, 2016 at 3:42 am
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:07 am

Ah, I see now. Thanks!
Old May 24, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
I've had absolutely rotten service from SFR and would steer clear of them.
That's why I've chosen Orange right from the start. I have a postpaid sim but internet, texts and phone calls work great. Coverage is good too. In remote areas (e.g. on the slopes of smaller skiing resorts) and at high speeds (e.g. the 2G connection at 200 mph in the TGV is rather poor), you might occasionally loose the connection altogether.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What's the best voice/text short-term SIM for France these days? Our 12-year-old daughter will be there next week...we're giving her a little Nokia (dumbphone) to take.

Main purpose will be calls to/from the U.S., plus potentially a little bit of local calling within Paris.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
What's the best voice/text short-term SIM for France these days?
I would say Orange. A prepaid card with an recharge MAX on top. 5€ is worth 1 hour of phone calls in France and unlimited texts to French mobile phone for a week.

Alternatively classic credit. Phone calls to French numbers are 0.40€/min and texts 0.10€.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Main purpose will be calls to/from the U.S., plus potentially a little bit of local calling within Paris.
I would stick to VoIP and use WLAN in hotels and at F&F. International calls are going to be prohibitively expensive.

If she's staying with F&F, she could probably just use their landline to call any US-landline (and depending on a few offers even US mobile phones) free of charge.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Also remember that incoming calls are free on almost all carriers in France, including Orange, SFR, and Bouygues.

So whenever I'm there, I'd set up a US number at localphone.com that forwarded to my French number at a really cheap rate (like a cent a minute or something). I gave that US number to my friends and family, and they could talk to me as if they were talking to someone in the US, and I only paid localphone for the call. Orange charged me nothing.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by WorldLux
International calls are going to be prohibitively expensive.
The Orange Holiday prepaid SIM card includes 120 minutes of calls and 1000 texts from anywhere in Europe to anywhere in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.