Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Just received a text confirming my 25 euro recharge.
My Vodafone online profile shows the credit has been applied to my account.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
And it reset your expiration date?

But you paid 25 Euro plus the 3.90 Euro fee?

Depending on the exchange rate, it might be worth just doing a 5 Euro recharge, just the minimum to reset the expiration date, because you don't want it to carry a big balance and then have it expire for whatever reason.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
And it reset your expiration date?

But you paid 25 Euro plus the 3.90 Euro fee?

Depending on the exchange rate, it might be worth just doing a 5 Euro recharge, just the minimum to reset the expiration date, because you don't want it to carry a big balance and then have it expire for whatever reason.
Yes I did, but I'll be in Europe at the end of this month. Landing in Switzerland, driving to France then to Italy. So I'll use up a good portion of the recharge.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:49 am

Wanted to give a brief update on my trip.

Countries covered:
  • Switzerland
  • France
  • Italy
  • Austria
  • Germany

Plan(s):
Smart Passport
Smart 200 (Italy)

Dates: 1/30 - 2/9

Summary: These plans worked out great and I think saved a quite a bit of money since we covered so many countries.

Details: When we landed in Switzerland, I received a text for the Smart Passport fee and my phone worked without a hitch. This is the first time for me using the Smart Passport plan. For the remainder of the trip, I used the Smart Passport plan outside of Italy. As outlined in the link above, the plan costs 3 euro/day. This includes 50 minutes, 50 texts and unlimited data. The charge of 3 euros/day seems to be per country too, so if you are in two countries on the same day, you get charged 3 euros for each, this happened once for me. Each day I used my phone outside of Italy, I received a text to notify me that I was using the Smart Passport and would be charged 3 euros.

The Smart 200 plan was 9.98 euros, I think, and was used while I was in Italy. The plan included 200 minutes, 200 text and 1GB of data. Unfortunately, if you don't have a plan for Italy, you are charged 4 euros/day for 500mb of data and per minute and per text. Since I knew we would be in Italy for a few days, having a plan made sense for me.

During my whole stay I was only on 3G and never saw LTE. This is probably a function of the plans that I was using as last year I saw LTE in Italy. Speed was a non-issue in every country and the roaming partners seemed to all have good coverage as well.

Let me know if you have questions.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

What does it do, roam on local carriers?

Do you remember the carriers in each country?

Oh okay, you got a Vodaphone SIM and used it in countries where they have Vodaphone networks.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:17 am

What does it do, roam on local carriers?

Do you remember the carriers in each country?

Oh okay, you got a Vodaphone SIM and used it in countries where they have Vodaphone networks.
Roams on local carriers. I remember Germany being the only other country where I saw Vodafone as the roaming carrier, Vodafone de to be specific.

I don't remember the other carriers but they all worked fine. I tried to manually select the carrier in Switzerland and of the three the default worked the best.

Yes, Vodafone Italy SIM but not always Vodafone roaming networks.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:53 am

We're starting out in Croatia then Italy. We have US Verizon 5s' and believe they come unlocked. As such, we just need a prepaid nano-SIM, correct? If we buy one in Croatia, will it work in Italy or will we need to buy one in each country? We're in each country for a week each. Our only need would be for texting and surfing, we do not anticipate making voice calls. As such, do we just need a data plan? Also is this required to procure a nano-SIM in Italy: Codice Fiscale
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sactoroy
Also is this required to procure a nano-SIM in Italy: Codice Fiscale
I got my last Italian SIM with just my passport.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I got my last Italian SIM with just my passport.
agree with this message, i got it with just my passport and I also have the verizon 5s, it was unlocked, and it worked easily

I know this is fine for italy, someone else will have to talk about croatia.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by sactoroy
Our only need would be for texting and surfing, we do not anticipate making voice calls. As such, do we just need a data plan?
Surfing requires a data plan. Unless you're talking about surfing on the water, which does not require an iPhone 5s.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
During my whole stay I was only on 3G and never saw LTE. This is probably a function of the plans that I was using as last year I saw LTE in Italy.
You need the Smart 200 plan and the Extra 2 GB 4G option.
Old May 16, 2014, 3:25 am

Upgrade Italian SIM-Card to use it all over Europe (and USA)

Hi all,
for those who already have an Italian SIM-Card from Wind, TIM or Vodafone, there are new options that can be activated to use the SIM-Card all over Europe and in the USA.
Nothing changes on the Italian tariff.

Those tariffs are very convenient and you don't need to buy a SIM-Card for every country you visit.

Vodafone: Smart Passport (a.k.a. Europasim)

Calling and Internet in Europe (until the 15 of June USA is included too!)

Daily package for 3 € including (will be billed only when used):

500 MB (with APN mobile.vodafone.it or iphone.vodafone.it)
From 500 MB on, the connection will slow down to 32kbps.

50 SMS
From 50 SMS on: 11 cent

50 minutes (25 outgoing to the EU zone and 25 incoming)
The included minutes are valid in the EU zone (more details below).
Incoming calls after 25 minutes: 9,7 cents per min
Incoming calls outside Europe: 1.50 € /min
Outgoing calls after 25 minutes: 35 cent/min
Outgoing calls outside Europe: 3€/min

The day is counted from 0:00 to 23:59 Central European Time

This tariff is valid in following 47 countries:

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Island, Finland, France, French Guyana, Germany, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Greece, Guadalupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Turkey

Tethering with smartphones and MiFi is possible if the APN is set up manually to mobile.vodafone.it
A wrong APN setup can cause higher than expected costs!

Warning: from Android 4.1 on, a correct tethering APN setup is possible only with root access!
Standard IOS does not allow to manage the tethering APN.
In case your device does not allow to edit the tethering APN, please use a MiFi or a UMTS Stick

Fair Usage Policy: You can use up to 10 GB per month.
From 10 GB on, the connection speed is throttled to 32 Kbps.

This option can be activated by registering on Vodafone.it or if you are too lazy, you can ask Rechargemysim to do it for you (just send them an email with text: please activate Smart Passport on the number xxxyyyyyyy)

-------------------------

Wind: All Inclusive Travel

With All Inclusive Travel you get for 2.50 € per day

30 minutes in the EU-zone and USA

30 SMS

50 MB of data traffic

The daily tariff is applied only when used: you don’t pay when you don’t use it!

The day is counted from 0:00 to 23:59 C.E.T

For 5 € per day you can use the same option in following countries:

Albania, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, China, Columbia, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Kazak hstan, , Kosovo, Macedonia, Mexico, Moldavia, Montenegro, Pakistan, Peru, Russia, Saudi-Arabia, Serbia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

The activation costs 2 € for 30 days.

You can activate this option by sending following SMS to the 4033: ALL TRAVEL SI .

To deactivate the option, send following SMS to the 4033: ALL TRAVEL NO

You can check your credit by sending following SMS to the 4155: SALDO

Otherwise you can call for free the *123*109

Important: please set a data counter, in order to be warned when you reach your daily allowance of 50 MB.

When the daily allowance is consumed, you pay the standard rate:
http://www.wind.it/it/opzioni/pagina37.phtml?sez=Estero

--------------------------------

TIM: TIM in Viaggio Pass

With TIM in Viaggio Pass you get for 10 € per week

250 minutes in the EU-zone and USA (125 incoming and 125 outgoing)

250 SMS

500 MB of data traffic

You can activate this option by sending following SMS to the 40916: TIMINVIAGGIOPASS ON

To deactivate the option, send following SMS to the 40916: TIMINVIAGGIOPASS OFF

You can reactivate the option anytime and will start again with 500 MB, 250 minutes and 250 SMS (residual allowance will not be cumulated)

Important: please set a data counter, in order to be warned when you reach your daily allowance of 500 MB.

When the daily allowance is consumed, you pay the standard tarif:
http://www.tim.it/estero/chiamare-e-...n-Viaggio-full

---------------------------
Old May 18, 2014, 12:38 am
Suspended

Site with comparative coverage maps accurate?

http://opensignal.com/coverage-maps/Italy/

You can select one network at a time, choose 3G or 4G, move the map.

Wonder how accurate it is though.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Wonder how accurate it is though.
Wouldn't rely on such a "map"...
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended

LTE on TIM

This is my experience the past two weeks with iPad Mini Retina, which supports European LTE and UMTS (HSPA, HSPA +, etc).

I've been using TIM SIM cards for years, with a Mifi device, to use data with a locked iPhone.

This year I got an iPad Mini Retina, to use on a trip. I couldn't find a TIM shop on the Amalfi Coast on their web site, which showed the closest shops in Salerno.

But my B&B in Amalfi assured me there was a local shop which would help me with TIM.

So they said they could cut my SIM to a nano SIM for the iPad. She used a stamping device and then a nail file to make the SIM fit into the nano SIM tray of my iPad.

That SIm had just under 10€ credit on it and I wanted to get the Internet 4G plan, which would be 30€ plus 5€ activation.

She said it would be hard to use any of the residual credit on the SIM to activate the plan, that I'd have to add a whole 35€ credit. Didn't understand exactly why that was.

She had to call TIM to be able to use some of the credit. She charged me 25€ and deducted 5€ from the residual credit and activated what I thought was the Internet 4G plan. But later found out it was only Internet 42.2, which should only have been 25€ total including activation.

In the Amalfi Coast and Capri, the 3G signal was in and out, given the canyons that a lot of towns were in. TIM coverage maps indicate LTE in Amalfi but it never showed, becUse as it turned out, I didn't have the 4g plan. Nor did I see it in Salerno or Napoli, bigger cities which should have had it.

Even still, 3G was often more reliable for more data heavy tasks like updating podcasts in iTunes than the wifi in the places I stayed.

When I got to Rome, somehow the iPad displayed 4g signal at the B&B I was staying at SE of piazza Navona. Only 2 or 3 bars yet I clocked 27 Mbps down, 17 Mbps up!

But the iPad will show LTE so I'm not sure what 4G is. Maybe bonded HSPA? In the US, some carriers were calling HSPA+ as "4G" in marketing and apparently the ITUNES let them so iOS shows that.

I will say the speeds I got were comparable to LTE speeds I got back home, faster than some places, slower than others.

Unfortunately, I reached my 5 GB cap before I could use it much in Rome. Then it showed 3G and in the same place where I got 2 or 3 bars of 4G, I got 5 bars of 3G.

However as I reached my cap, TIM throttled severely, down to .01 up and down. Unusable, even worse than the free international roaming of T Mobile, which was .1 Mbps.

So if you got an iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina and you may want to use a lot of data, possibly supplement hotel wifi, I would say its worth considering the TIM 4g plans.

I'd ask the mobile stores if there is good 4g signal in the area. TIM shop at Napoli Centrale had a retail display touting 4G so they are promoting it somewhat.

You can tether with these plans and tethering to a laptop will eat data fast.

If all you want is mostly email and surfing on iPad and not tethering much, then you can probably get by with 1 or 2 GB over a week or 2 weeks.

Or the T Mobile Simple Choice plan, which gives you just enough speed to use on the device itself. Though they may not keep it at $10 a month after this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.