Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
If you still have the TIM SIM card, it may be inactive now (and any credit it had would be gone).

So you might have to buy a new SIM card. They may or may not have a nano SIM but some shops may cut a regular or micro SIM to nano for you.

Then you add one of the plans I linked in my post #131.

If you have a retina iPad mini, you can get LTE speeds on TIM, which you can tether (personal hot spot) to other devices, which might be incentive to get one of the bigger data bundles like Internet Large or Internet 4G.
Thanks. I don't have the retina Mini, and I don't have any other devices that I would hot spot when I travel.

I figured any credit would be gone.
I saw that there is also a "Welcome" package for tourists. Since I'm not fluent in Italian, I can only guess at what is exactly is,. The price is 20EU for 5G of data for 30 days rather than 10EU for 2G with the Internet package (the 4G is if you are already a Telecom Italia customer) or 20EU for 5GB with the Internet Large, which I assume are "fill up" pre-paid plans. BUT, I saw that the Welcome Internet says 42.2 mbps while the Internet packages says 4G LTE. I don't know the difference between these - are the same speed/network or is TIM is preying on "tourists"
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Internet Large seems to include 5 GB of 4G. You get 10 GB if you're a customer of their other services. They double the amount of data for existing customers.

But if you have to get another SIM card, it would cost 10 Euro with 5 Euro credit plus there may be an activation fee of 5 or 10 Euro for those plans.

I've paid as much as 35-40 Euro for like 5 or 10 GB of data. But if my SIM cards still have credit, it should only require adding.

This offer says 10 Euro for 2 GB for Internet Start with a new SIM card, with free activation but the activation must be online only?

http://www.tim.it/internet/internet-start-4GB

But maybe print it out and ask at the shop if you can get this.

You won't get LTE speeds on the older iPad mini. Speeds will probably be under 10 Mbps. If you have an LTE device, it would be several times the speed but mainly in big cities. You won't get LTE in the country side.

Remember to take your passport to the shop if you have to get a new SIM card.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Yeah, it is a little confusing, especially when trying to translate…

My Mini does 4G LTE (AT&T) here at home. And, when I had it with me in Italy last time, I didn't have any issues with speed (not doing anything intense). It actually worked pretty well cruising through the Tuscan hillside.

I guess I'll see what happens when I go the TIM store the first morning I arrive; and I will take my passport with me again!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:29 pm
Suspended

iPad mini (original) supports 5 LTE bands.

iPad mini 2 (with Retina display) supports 15 LTE bands.

There are like 40 LTE bands or frequencies in use around the world.

I wouldn't pay extra for LTE. If it's included with the amount of data you want, then it's fine, you'll likely get fast 3G. Speedtest app. would probably show up to 7-8 Mbps, whereas LTE could be several times that.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by slidergirl
I'm heading back to Italy at the end of April for a couple of weeks. When I was there 2 years ago, I bought a TIM SIM and some data time for my iPad Mini. What do I need to do this time around to get data time? May I use the same SIM and just add new time? I am not a smartphone user, so I will use my Mini for any connectivity (and FaceTime) needed. I did like having the faster data speeds last time vs the slug-slow speed of the hotel wifi. Right now, I have ATT at home for my Mini (got it when they had the $100 credit offer). I assume I'll have to write down all the ATT info from the Mini, re-add the TIM info, then re-do when I get home...
Unless you have done what is necessary to keep the account "alive" by doing whatever the requirement is (adding funds periodically or a "use" periodically depending on their terms) it's likely that the SIM you have has been deactivated.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by weekilter
Unless you have done what is necessary to keep the account "alive" by doing whatever the requirement is (adding funds periodically or a "use" periodically depending on their terms) it's likely that the SIM you have has been deactivated.
Yeah. I'll just do what I have to do when I get to Rome to get access again. Not a biggie. Thanks everyone for the assistance.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Does anyone know if they sell TIM prepaid SIM cards in Milan MXP airport?
Old May 9, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS, BA, HA, UA
Originally Posted by bagold
Does anyone know if they sell TIM prepaid SIM cards in Milan MXP airport?
And in the VCE airport?
Grazie!
Old May 9, 2015, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Doesn't appear to be in MXP or VCE. You can check at www.tim.it.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Looking at getting a sim for 2 weeks or so in Italy- flying into LIN so will probably pick this up downtown. I have a BB (9810) so hope its not too much of a pain to configure- ZA was exciting Probably data only maybe 5 gigs (I use 300 mb/mo stateside, but lots of wifi).

Thoughts on the best plan?

Thanks!

~beckoa
Old May 26, 2015, 10:42 am
Suspended

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Italy

TIM has the best network, especially if you want 4G with no tethering surcharges.

If you're mostly staying around bigger cities, then 3 or Wind are cheaper for their more limited coverage.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by wco81
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Italy

TIM has the best network, especially if you want 4G with no tethering surcharges.

If you're mostly staying around bigger cities, then 3 or Wind are cheaper for their more limited coverage.
Thanks for the wiki link ^

Not sure about smaller towns yet- may hit Catania, but that's still a biggish town it seems.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
Here's the link for TIM Welcome in English:

http://www.tim.it/estero/dall-italia...me-internet-uk

It's a "One off" add-on purchase - once purchased, you can't apply the offer on an existing line. Also, the 20€ does not include the SIM cost (at least at the Rome Termini); it was 5€ for the SIM (last fall). You can keep the line active, but not add the package again.

Once activated, it worked well everywhere except in the train tunnels heading north toward Munich (overnight train) - dropped to Edge - and inside the old monastery we were staying in near Cortona, Tuscany (unless I took it right up to the window alcove and opened the window - walls were at least 2 feet thick of concrete, not sure what the roof was, and the glass was leaded...).

Jim
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Italy, France and Malta?

Are there any plans that will let me make/receive calls in Malta and France (Corsica) as well? Anticipate light use (unless there is data)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Are there any plans that will let me make/receive calls in Malta and France (Corsica) as well? Anticipate light use (unless there is data)
Check the details here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22342892-post79.html

http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...SMART-Passport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.