Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Home Automation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:43 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Anyone with pets have issues with the above systems?

Currently our motion detectors have "pet blocks" so that the first 3' (floor to 3') isn't detected, so our large dog can walk around w/o setting off motion detectors.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Haven't read the entire thread, but I would advise sitting on the sideline if considering Wink.

While it has worked fine for me, the recent events with Quirky would concern me. I don't have a ton of items on Wink at the moment, just a hand full of GE bulbs, 6 Leviton switches, Schlage lock, and a Chamberlain garage door opener. I guess I could include the Rachio sprinkler controller, but the Wink control of that is so terrible that I use the native app instead.

Also have a couple of the Wink Relay's, which have been a disappointment as well.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:34 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

Currently our motion detectors have "pet blocks" so that the first 3' (floor to 3') isn't detected, so our large dog can walk around w/o setting off motion detectors.
I have a SmartThings setup with several ST motion detectors and one Aeon multi-sensor 6, which I wouldn't recommend. In my case, all of these motion detectors are positioned in a way that they're above the dog/cat level.

I also have a Homeboy web cam which has a pet exclusion mode (and you can fiddle with the size of the exclusion depending on the size of your animal). It occasionally still pings me to let me know that motion has been detected and I get to see a nice video of the cat.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum

Nest's Auto-Away feature probably wouldn't work so well given the positioning of the Thermostat and Protect and my cat but I use Skylark to control the away status based on my phone's GPS anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:05 am

thanks for responses^
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:51 am

FYI for those in Chicagoland area who are ComEd customers, currently there is a $100 rebate for installing a Nest Thermostat.
Link: https://www.comed.com/documents/home...elfinstall.pdf
-
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:07 pm

FYI for those in Chicagoland area who are ComEd customers, currently there is a $100 rebate for installing a Nest Thermostat.
Link: https://www.comed.com/documents/home...elfinstall.pdf
-
Thanks for sharing, Willie! With window AC and hot water heat, this doesn't do me any good now, but if I move before May I'll be jumping on it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:10 am

Well, I'll throw my hat into this

I use ZoneMinder (open source) in the house. The software has existed for many years, but there has been a recent surge in improving various areas (it had a reputation of being hard to use). The ZM Devs have launched version 1.29 a few weeks ago with many improvements.

I was an interested user in 2015 because I wanted to install security cameras and found Dropcam to be too expensive for multiple cameras. As I worked on getting it to run, I also became a contributor and eventually also developed and released zmNinja - a new mobile app that works with zoneminder.

What I use it for: Monitor my cameras, detect when I am in the house and switch recording off, integrate with my thermostat for in/away for recordings.

ZoneMinder is free. My app is open source and available for Android/iOS/Desktops. There is a price for the mobile apps, but if you are a techie, get the source and compile it. Desktop binaries are free.

Not advertising the links here - just google if you are interested.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:11 pm

Amazon has a bunch of SmartThings gear on sale (which rarely happens). Not sure if this is a "today's deal" or will last for a while:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartT...ng+SmartThings
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:14 am

I'm looking into a home automation system. I've wanted one for a while, but I'm cheap. Recently I've been AirBnB'ing my house and it would be nice to:
1. I have the Kwikset 910 z-wave lock I bought specifically for home automation. I'd like to get it going, add codes remotely, etc. Sounds like SmartThings can't do that (something said it will lock and unlock, but you can't add codes), but VeraPlus can.
2. convert the front porch light switch to a z-wave remote controlled light switch so I can turn the porch light on and off as needed
3. control the thermostat remotely. I'm not sold on Nest so probably the Honeywell z-wave or similar.
4. z-wave plug or outlet to turn off the coffee pot outlet remotely so if they leave the coffee pot on it won't stay on forever. After 3 guests 2 have already left it on after leaving, even though they both emptied the coffee and cleaned the pot.
5. Maybe some water sensors.

I don't really care about lighting routines. I already have d-link cameras (only on the outside of my house) that I monitor through the dlink app.
I have security all setup with my Honeywell Lynx system which can support z-wave and I have smoke detectors and door and motion sensors for that so I don't really need any of that. I could add a z-wave module to it, but then I'd have to actually pay for monthly monitoring.

It seems like SmartThings 2.0 and Vera Edge/ Plus are the main players right now. Based on Amazon reviews I'm kinda leaning towards the Vera Plus, but SmartThings is a bit more popular. The reviews of people who have used both don't really sound like either is better.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by gj83
I'm looking into a home automation system. I've wanted one for a while, but I'm cheap. Recently I've been AirBnB'ing my house and it would be nice to:
1. I have the Kwikset 910 z-wave lock I bought specifically for home automation. I'd like to get it going, add codes remotely, etc. Sounds like SmartThings can't do that (something said it will lock and unlock, but you can't add codes), but VeraPlus can.
I have a Yale RealLiving touchscreen lock and you can add and delete lock codes remotely with SmartThings. It's a community developed app (LockManager), but works very well.

3. control the thermostat remotely. I'm not sold on Nest so probably the Honeywell z-wave or similar.
I just installed an ecobee3. It generally gets similar or better reviews than Nest.

4. z-wave plug or outlet to turn off the coffee pot outlet remotely so if they leave the coffee pot on it won't stay on forever. After 3 guests 2 have already left it on after leaving, even though they both emptied the coffee and cleaned the pot.
Instead, I'd suggest replacing with with a coffee maker with an auto-off switch. I don't think the Z-wave outlet/plug will accomplish what you want. You'll be able to see if the outlet is on/off, but you won't know if the coffee maker is on/off. Eventually you're going to turn the outlet back on again, and if the switch is still in the "on" position that sort of defeats the purpose.

5. Maybe some water sensors.
That's a smart idea.

It seems like SmartThings 2.0 and Vera Edge/ Plus are the main players right now. Based on Amazon reviews I'm kinda leaning towards the Vera Plus, but SmartThings is a bit more popular. The reviews of people who have used both don't really sound like either is better.
I'm a SmartThings user, but that's just me.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:57 pm

I got the SmartThings when it was on sale for prime day and came with an outlet too.

I got my lock setup and added some smart app that allows me to add and edit codes for my lock.
I have the outlet in use with one of my lamps in the entry way.

I ordered some additional outlets, a thermostat, and a light switch for my porch light. That way I can turn everything off when someone checks out and turn everything on when someone arrives. Now I just have to wait for my current guests to step out so i can install the light switch.

As far as an automatic shutoff coffee maker vs a zwave plug...I don't drink coffee. I bought the cheapest coffee maker so if anyone wants coffee (100% of my guests so far) they have something to use. I have no need to buy a second coffee maker just to get an automatic shutoff while I do have use for zwave plugs in other capacities. I was debating between replacing the outlets vs just buying plugs. I figured it was easier to just get the plugs so I can move them whenever I need to.

Next phase is another thermostat (for the upstairs which I usually just leave off) and more light switches.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
I got the SmartThings when it was on sale for prime day and came with an outlet too.

I got my lock setup and added some smart app that allows me to add and edit codes for my lock.
I have the outlet in use with one of my lamps in the entry way.

I ordered some additional outlets, a thermostat, and a light switch for my porch light. That way I can turn everything off when someone checks out and turn everything on when someone arrives. Now I just have to wait for my current guests to step out so i can install the light switch.

As far as an automatic shutoff coffee maker vs a zwave plug...I don't drink coffee. I bought the cheapest coffee maker so if anyone wants coffee (100% of my guests so far) they have something to use. I have no need to buy a second coffee maker just to get an automatic shutoff while I do have use for zwave plugs in other capacities. I was debating between replacing the outlets vs just buying plugs. I figured it was easier to just get the plugs so I can move them whenever I need to.

Next phase is another thermostat (for the upstairs which I usually just leave off) and more light switches.
I guess I'm still not too clear on how you expect to use the outlet/plug with the coffee maker...are you only shutting it off after a guest checks out until you're able to get into the unit to confirm that the coffee maker is indeed turned off, then turn the outlet/plug on again?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Any recommendations for someone who is not interested in DIY? We want to get an outdoor camera or two to keep an eye on our pool, and are interested in expanding that to a larger home automation / alarm system for an existing home.

Our current system consists of three analog light timers - LOL. We could use an upgrade.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I guess I'm still not too clear on how you expect to use the outlet/plug with the coffee maker...are you only shutting it off after a guest checks out until you're able to get into the unit to confirm that the coffee maker is indeed turned off, then turn the outlet/plug on again?
Yes, that's correct. So when someone leaves everything in the house shuts off. Then when I'm there to clean I can set the coffee pot to off so the next time someone checks in I will turn everything on and the thermostat to an acceptable temperature so then can use the coffee pot whenever they are ready.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.