Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Home Automation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:27 pm

Just to add to this thread for future searchers, another option, if you are rebuilding or building a home, is Control4. Installation is not DIY, but it does allow for some DIY programming. It is one step cheaper than Lutron/Crestron and is designed for regular-sized houses instead of mansions.

We've had for almost 3 years with excellent capabilities and very little headache.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Of interest: Apple, Google, Microsoft all in bids to purchase home automation company, reports WSJ
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ScottC
Returning to this thread - I invested in the Lowes equipment (IRIS) and ended up returning the whole thing. Too many limitations, lousy software, closed system - which means you can't add anything not sold by Lowes.

I now have a Vera Lite from MiCasaVerde - pretty much the gold standard apparently in home automation for the DIY geek. Took some time to get used to the system, but it is now all working flawlessly.

I have several Schlage Z-Wave door locks, many Z-Wave modules, outlets and dimmers. Combined with my Nest thermostat and Logitech Alert cameras, I'm very happy.

Best of all, a decent size Vera Lite setup for around 15-20 zones can be done for under $1000 - with remote access, security and lots of remotes.
Will have to look into it. I invested in a handful of WeMo units recently. They're OK, but you're locked to the Apple iOS platform (though there is apparently a way to do IFTTT with the system). It's really lacking, but serves my immediate needs.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Will have to look into it. I invested in a handful of WeMo units recently. They're OK, but you're locked to the Apple iOS platform (though there is apparently a way to do IFTTT with the system). It's really lacking, but serves my immediate needs.
Vera is very open, lots of plugin options and a load of mobile apps that can interface with it. Triggers and scenes make it very powerful.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:23 am

I have had a Vera for over two years with around 40 z-wave switches, lights, and door locks. Radioshack had a blow out sale last year and locks were $59 with switches and plugins less than $10 each. They are all wireless which makes it much easier to install, but sometimes things drop off the network or are slow to respond.

We also use it to control the pumps and fountains for our Koi ponds, holiday lighting and landscape lighting. It's very handy to have different scenes and timers for various things.

I had planned on using vera for security cameras, but instead use http://www.vitamindinc.com running on my Mac server instead. It works very well, but the developers basically stopped development. I'm thinking of switching to something that runs on our Synology NAS instead, but haven't had time to tinker with it.

I had also used Vera to control z-wave thermostats, but since replaced those with 6 Nest thermostats.

The best vera app, iVera, I would rate as poor and hasn't been updated in a long time.

For audio, I use several Airport Express connected to our Bang & Olufsen stereos. It's a bit inconvenient, because I have to turn them on and switch them to AUX using the remote. B&O has recently released an Airplay module to retrofit Beolab speakers, but they are $425 each.

We also recently got several Philips SoundCurve, SoundAvia, and a SoundRing airplay speakers. They are self contained and sound pretty good for the price. You can get refurbished ones for less than $100, cheaper than getting airport express + speakers, so we have a wireless speaker in every room including the garage.

All of this stuff I can control from my iPhone.

Last edited by Tummy; Dec 26, 2012 at 4:30 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tummy
I have had a Vera for over two years with around 40 z-wave switches, lights, and door locks. Radioshack had a blow out sale last year and locks were $59 with switches and plugins less than $10 each. They are all wireless which makes it much easier to install, but sometimes things drop off the network or are slow to respond.

We also use it to control the pumps and fountains for our Koi ponds, holiday lighting and landscape lighting. It's very handy to have different scenes and timers for various things.

I had planned on using vera for security cameras, but instead use http://www.vitamindinc.com running on my Mac server instead. It works very well, but the developers basically stopped development. I'm thinking of switching to something that runs on our Synology NAS instead, but haven't had time to tinker with it.

I had also used Vera to control z-wave thermostats, but since replaced those with 6 Nest thermostats.

The best vera app, iVera, I would rate as poor and hasn't been updated in a long time.

For audio, I use several Airport Express connected to our Bang & Olufsen stereos. It's a bit inconvenient, because I have to turn them on and switch them to AUX using the remote. B&O has recently released an Airplay module to retrofit Beolab speakers, but they are $425 each.

We also recently got several Philips SoundCurve, SoundAvia, and a SoundRing airplay speakers. They are self contained and sound pretty good for the price. You can get refurbished ones for less than $100, cheaper than getting airport express + speakers, so we have a wireless speaker in every room including the garage.

All of this stuff I can control from my iPhone.
Nice setup!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm adding a Radio CT30 thermostat this weekend to my house (already have it and can't afford right now to spring for a Nest instead)

What's the cheapest wifi enabled home automation product that would allow me to plug in a couple of lights to put on timers/remote control?

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm adding a Radio CT30 thermostat this weekend to my house (already have it and can't afford right now to spring for a Nest instead)

What's the cheapest wifi enabled home automation product that would allow me to plug in a couple of lights to put on timers/remote control?

Thanks.
Your cheapest RELIABLE option will be the Belkin WeMo line:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...-keywords=wemo
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
I assume the Belkin Wemo...a range of light switches and plugs that can be controlled via an app on your phone or set to turn on/off at certain times or sunrise/sunset. I think each Wemo device costs about $50. I have the light switch and it works pretty well.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Your cheapest RELIABLE option will be the Belkin WeMo line:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...-keywords=wemo
Thank you, sir. Looking at Amazon right now.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:14 am

Does this
http://www.amazon.com/WeMo-Electroni.../dp/B00BB2MMNE
require their special light bulb
http://www.amazon.com/WeMo-F7C033-An.../dp/B00MMLTUII
or can you use any bulb in a connected lamp?

And while I have you, is there such a thing (I've been unsuccessful Googlin') as a wifi enabled deadbolt lock for a home's door?

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 10, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this
http://www.amazon.com/WeMo-Electroni.../dp/B00BB2MMNE
require their special light bulb
http://www.amazon.com/WeMo-F7C033-An.../dp/B00MMLTUII
or can you use any bulb in a connected lamp?

And while I have you, is there such a thing (I've been unsuccessful Googlin') as a wifi enabled deadbolt lock for a home's door?
No, the module will plug into any existing light. The WeMo bulb replaces the existing bulb, and does not require the WeMo plug in module.

Yes, there are Wi-Fi door locks, I'd recommend trying Google for these things, but I'll help you out with one:

https://lockitron.com/

That said - switching to Wi-Fi deadbolts opens up all kinds of other issues. Do you really want your door lock connected to your Wi-Fi? What are you trying to accomplish? A more secure solution would be to look at the Schlage Nexia line - their locks are more secure, and use encrypted Z-Wave. It is subscription based though.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
The only thing I have been looking for in terms of home automation is an internet connected garage door opener. I'm tired of that panic moment half way to the airport when I think "did I close the garage door?". I also have a bad habit of leaving it open overnight.

I saw Costco had a Chamberlin System on sale this month so I jumped. It looks to be about $100 cheaper than building the same package through Amazon etc. to get the internet gateway. Since my truck is only about 1' shorter than my garage, the laser parking aid will be a nice bonus vs. my ball on a string setup now. While my existing opener still works, I figure at 20+ years it was better to just replace the entire package.

It just showed up yesterday so I have not had a chance to install it yet. My one concern is that I want to use the auto close feature, but worry about truck damage since I don't trust force reversing mechanisms to stop short of damage . The electric eye is supposed to be < 6" off the ground to protect children and animals, but that will shoot under the truck unless a wheel is in the line of sight. I'm going to try to mount the IR transmitter and receiver on the same side of the door with a pair of 45 degree mirrors to reflect the light beam up and back across the door at bumper height. Hopefully it is strong enough to make it 33' instead of 16'.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:51 am

...Yes, there are Wi-Fi door locks, I'd recommend trying Google for these things, but I'll help you out with one:

https://lockitron.com/
Thank you. I had not seen that one. Looks like the only sell directly (I've not found that model on Amazon)

That said - switching to Wi-Fi deadbolts opens up all kinds of other issues.
Can you say more?

Do you really want your door lock connected to your Wi-Fi? What are you trying to accomplish?
For extended absences, I want to be able to remotely open the door for folks who are checking on things.

I am more than open to other ideas.

A more secure solution would be to look at the Schlage Nexia line - their locks are more secure, and use encrypted Z-Wave. It is subscription based though.
Will take a look.

Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you say more?
A wifi connected lock is not just a lock: it's a little computer. Computers have bugs. Hackers like to exploit bugs. By connecting a little computer to the internet that controls a lock on your door, you're opening the door (heh) to someone breaking in electronically. While the risk is probably small, it's certainly a valid point to consider. It's also potentially possible for someone with the right electronic gizmo to connect it to your lock to open the lock. These things are frequently found not to be nearly as secure as people would like to believe.

Side note: has anyone had any experience with the Wink line of home automation products? As I understand it, Wink just connects to other companies' products to provide a unified control interface across manufacturers and protocols.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.