FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Home Automation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1408920-home-automation.html)

ross123 Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Home Automation

I guess we will start it here since its the closest category but I just finished having a home built and wanted to start with potentially some home automation. Of course I want it to work nice when I am home with a smart phone/tablet functionality being able to control it I also want the capability to monitor/change/look at over the net since I travel about 80-90% of the time.

I know about a few, X10 for example being one of the older ones but when i look at my galaxy tablet i see about 20 or 30 different programs --- each for a different system of HA. Before I head off to a forum dedicated to HA does anyone here have any thoughts?

ScottC Nov 19, 2012 12:36 pm

I'd recommend checking out what Lowes has to offer (assuming you are US based). Their starter kits are here:

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Iris_239939199_

The setup is Z-Wave based, so much more reliable than X10. Even though I was a huge X10 fan, their stuff has never really been updated, and the software side is downright nasty. Modules are also very unreliable when used with CFL and LED.

If you don't actually need home control, and just want a camera, I recommend Logitech Alert - nice HD setup for not too much.

edweird Nov 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Home Automation covers a lot of ground. Some of the systems are more turn key,while others are more for the DIY'r. Some are really strong in terms of controlling home entertainment systems, and others are good for having support for many different kinds of devices.

I looked and bought Homeseer software, and also software from Cinemar Solutions (Mainlobby, MLserver). Since I spent a lot of time setting it up, I've not been keeping up with which other products are also out there now. I'm happy with both.

I migrated a lot of my X-10 sensors and switches over to Z-Wave over the past couple years and found it works better in my environment.

ross123 Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 19711962)
I'd recommend checking out what Lowes has to offer (assuming you are US based). Their starter kits are here:

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Iris_239939199_

The setup is Z-Wave based, so much more reliable than X10. Even though I was a huge X10 fan, their stuff has never really been updated, and the software side is downright nasty. Modules are also very unreliable when used with CFL and LED.

If you don't actually need home control, and just want a camera, I recommend Logitech Alert - nice HD setup for not too much.

cool. at heart i am a geek and would love to have a full spread from the locks on the front door to the lights in the bedroom. i have to stop by Lowes to see what they have for washers/dryers and will take a look at their Z-wave offerings.

ScottC Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ross123 (Post 19712479)
cool. at heart i am a geek and would love to have a full spread from the locks on the front door to the lights in the bedroom. i have to stop by Lowes to see what they have for washers/dryers and will take a look at their Z-wave offerings.

For around $500, you can get locks, camera, thermostat and some wireless switches. Just keep in mind that once you start, you'll never stop - you'll keep finding things to automate :D

pragakhan Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Building? I don't know your price range, but this system would control every single light bulb in your home. You can create scene lighting and or control multiple lighting from one wall switch. For instance, your entry can have options for all off, night, away, path, basically whatever you want. Your living room can have all on/off, a movie watching program and control lights in other rooms.

http://www.lutron.com/Pages/Default.aspx

aschuett Nov 20, 2012 6:53 am

If you have lots of money, but also want it done right, Crestron has some good stuff. It can interface with just about anything out there (i.e. Lutron for lighting) as well as control digital video (i.e. send this football game to every TV in the house). From the sounds of things, it's probably more than you want to spend, but just tossing it out there as something to know about.

Weez_1000 Nov 20, 2012 7:01 am

This thread is timely, Im building a place in FLA and want to install HA stuff. Ive been doing a lot of reading and it seems like Insteon and Z-wave are the two getting the most recommendations.

I will probably want to install 1 IP camera and control window treatments and multiple light sources (both lamps and switches) and a few receptacles. I will keep my nest thermostats. I see a few in here using Z-Wave, any comments vs. the Insteon stuff?

pragakhan Nov 20, 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by aschuett (Post 19716594)
If you have lots of money, but also want it done right, Crestron has some good stuff. It can interface with just about anything out there (i.e. Lutron for lighting) as well as control digital video (i.e. send this football game to every TV in the house). From the sounds of things, it's probably more than you want to spend, but just tossing it out there as something to know about.

I would add Lutron has to be brought into the fold very early as every light is wired directly to the Lutron panel which needs not only your specific programing needs, but engineering.

If you want it done right, Lutron and Crestron are the top of the line options and I think will cause you the least amount of grief.

tkflyer Nov 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Keen to get into this, but really wanted to go down the voice control route with android app and multiple microphones around the house.

Any recommendations on voice control s/w that work with say Insteaon or Z-Wave?

pragakhan Nov 20, 2012 10:20 pm

haha, I don't know if this works with those but it reminded me of this..

http://www.automatedliving.com/products_hal20002.shtml

dbuckho Nov 20, 2012 11:10 pm

I rebuilt my house in 2007-08 and installed a combination of HAI and Lutron (my father is a home automation installer, spent 5 days pulling wires through my rough framed house). So I highly recommend doing something. But you should take a little time and a) figure out exactly what you want to do? and b) take a look around at the innovation that is coming out now and in the next couple years before making any purchases.

For example, I installed speakers in almost every room in my house for whole house audio and have inputs from my A/V receiver, computers, and several other sources in addition to tunable options (i.e. FM radio) on the system itself. Most rooms have a little selector for channel and volume. But then along came my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iTunes, and Airplay! I pretty much use those methods for getting content around the house with the whole house audio being regulated for use by those in the shower. Still very useful, but I could have spent far less.

Cameras are another example. We ran wires for cameras that could connect back to the HAI system, but never installed the cameras. Ended up putting in a few wi-fi cameras and I just view and control them directly on my phones/ipods/computer.

A/C and heating was another cool part of our install. We put in a connected thermostat and I could go into my computer program to set schedules and control it from my @Home iPhone app. But I just took it out and replaced it with a Nest because it offers a much easier set of interfaces (my wife can even use the iPhone app or the website) and gives me better analytics on the backend. I think you are going to see many more independently connected devices with improved data analysis like this coming out soon.

Being able to control all my lights from my various devices and set scenes is still a great reason to have the Lutron system. But you are starting to see a number of wi-fi connected lighting systems announced (i.e. Philips Hue) that will not only offer control but the ability to change colors and do things at the bulb far beyond what today's home automation offers. The first generation products have a ways to go, but I can see myself taking out all the Lutron switches in the next 10 years because they are no longer needed.

Best of luck and no matter what/how much you do it will be a blast.

ScottC Nov 21, 2012 6:46 am

Originally Posted by dbuckho (Post 19721697)
I rebuilt my house in 2007-08 and installed a combination of HAI and Lutron (my father is a home automation installer, spent 5 days pulling wires through my rough framed house). So I highly recommend doing something. But you should take a little time and a) figure out exactly what you want to do? and b) take a look around at the innovation that is coming out now and in the next couple years before making any purchases.

For example, I installed speakers in almost every room in my house for whole house audio and have inputs from my A/V receiver, computers, and several other sources in addition to tunable options (i.e. FM radio) on the system itself. Most rooms have a little selector for channel and volume. But then along came my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iTunes, and Airplay! I pretty much use those methods for getting content around the house with the whole house audio being regulated for use by those in the shower. Still very useful, but I could have spent far less.

Cameras are another example. We ran wires for cameras that could connect back to the HAI system, but never installed the cameras. Ended up putting in a few wi-fi cameras and I just view and control them directly on my phones/ipods/computer.

A/C and heating was another cool part of our install. We put in a connected thermostat and I could go into my computer program to set schedules and control it from my @Home iPhone app. But I just took it out and replaced it with a Nest because it offers a much easier set of interfaces (my wife can even use the iPhone app or the website) and gives me better analytics on the backend. I think you are going to see many more independently connected devices with improved data analysis like this coming out soon.

Being able to control all my lights from my various devices and set scenes is still a great reason to have the Lutron system. But you are starting to see a number of wi-fi connected lighting systems announced (i.e. Philips Hue) that will not only offer control but the ability to change colors and do things at the bulb far beyond what today's home automation offers. The first generation products have a ways to go, but I can see myself talking out all the Lutron switches in the next 10 years because they are no longer needed.

Best of luck and no matter what/how much you do it will be a blast.

You summed it all up correctly - most of the really pricey current systems all have weak spots - the best solution (in my opinion) is one that involves picking the best individual options. Z-Wave for control and locks, HD Wi-Fi cameras for viewing and Nest for HVAC.

tkflyer Nov 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by pragakhan (Post 19721530)
haha, I don't know if this works with those but it reminded me of this..

http://www.automatedliving.com/products_hal20002.shtml

Some googling turned up this, pretty impressive list.

http://james.lipsit.com/home.htm

ScottC Dec 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Returning to this thread - I invested in the Lowes equipment (IRIS) and ended up returning the whole thing. Too many limitations, lousy software, closed system - which means you can't add anything not sold by Lowes.

I now have a Vera Lite from MiCasaVerde - pretty much the gold standard apparently in home automation for the DIY geek. Took some time to get used to the system, but it is now all working flawlessly.

I have several Schlage Z-Wave door locks, many Z-Wave modules, outlets and dimmers. Combined with my Nest thermostat and Logitech Alert cameras, I'm very happy.

Best of all, a decent size Vera Lite setup for around 15-20 zones can be done for under $1000 - with remote access, security and lots of remotes.