Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Windows 8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I finally got W8 to install on my laptop. By finally I carefully backed up everything just in case it all went kablooey (it did not). Very nice tiled screen. Few things to point out.

Desktop - You can get to it by pressing the desktop button. It loads the desktop.
Multiple applications running at once - you can do this too. If you open an app it will take you to the desktop as well.
The Control Panel, two clicks, really. go to the upper right corner, slide down to the gear, click it then click "Change PC settings"

I might miss my start button, but this seems just as easy so far to use. The initial interface is well polished, and it hasn't decreased performance of my computer at all. I'll see how it all goes after a week, but so far no complaints.
How are the two IE versions working out for you? or do yo use Firefox etc.?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I have learned long time ago NOT to touch any new Windows product for at least 12 months after its release. I was able to whether through the entire Windows Vista mess using XP.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
I think change is good and Microsoft is the only company capable of doing it in the PC space.

I'd love to give the tablet a go, but having just got a nexus 7 (which is kinda awesome), it will be a while before I need another

The future of Microsoft is secure and I can't wait to see how they use Skype in the next couple of years.
Skype will seamlessly integrate with W8, have larger pictures and be an always on application, and that won't get annoying at all or drain the battery on a tablet apparently
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wink

Originally Posted by bullroot
Been using my new surface all day, now it all makes sense. A joy to use

And despite my location, I do not work for Microsoft or an affiliate
Excellent, someone using a touch screen OS on a touchscreen device, now if they just weren't trying to ram that down the throats of non touchscreen users then it would be so much better.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
FWIW, I installed it on my old non-touch desktop last night, and I like it. It took me few minutes to get used to it, but overall I think the interface is an improvement from the nearly 20-year-old Windows 95 start menu paradigm. While I can see how touch will make it even better, it works very well with a classic mouse and keyboard. I'll probably get a Microsoft Touch Mouse to take advantage of some of the multi-touch features, but I don't think its strictly necessary to enjoy the improved interface.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Oct 27, 2012 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
The idea that MS are trying to unify the GUI of all their OS versions is a good one...
I question the premise. Desktops and laptops are for information creators; tablets and smartphones are for information consumers. Not too many people write a white paper on a tablet. The workflows are fundamentally different. Why does the interface have to be the same? W8 is much more about Microsoft's agenda (extending hegemony to device categories where they have no real play at present) than the user's. If in the process of trying to plant a flag in tablets / touch they sacrifice bedrock usability conventions on the desktop/laptop, it's a net fail.

It's as if a BMW dashboard designer decided suddenly to relocate the turn signal indicator from the steering column to the center console, because that's where it is on their motorcycles and we have to have compatibility across BMW's spectrum of motoring devices. The hell you do.

I think change is good and Microsoft is the only company capable of doing it in the PC space.
I think user-centered, user-driven change is great. I think forcible change is not.

The future of Microsoft is secure and I can't wait to see how they use Skype in the next couple of years.
If they do for Skype what they did for Visio, aQuantive, Groove, etc ., etc., it won't work any more in a couple of years.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

A friend sent me a newsletter sent out by their IT home consultant. He strongly recommended that if his clients were in the market for a new PC they should buy now ( this was mid September)....before Windows 8 was factory installed. Most of his clients are elderly and he is concerned that the learning curve would be just to great for them.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Excellent, someone using a touch screen OS on a touchscreen device, now if they just weren't trying to ram that down the throats of non touchscreen users then it would be so much better.
When you boot a PC, note that the desktop icon is on the top right of the screen. This is where the keyboard has focus when you log in.

So, press enter and you go right to desktop. Or the windows key does the same. You can skip the new start screen and go right to your old ui in less than a second.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
How are the two IE versions working out for you? or do yo use Firefox etc.?
I generally use Opera. But last night I was using IE (not sure which version). It loaded pages quickly, and didn't stutter like it had with 7.

The ironic thing is I forgot to charge it last night, and have to post this from our macbook! I remember when OSX came out 10+ years ago people freaked out because it was soooo different, they hated the dock, it was too glossy. After a while everyone calmed down and got used it and are now calling it one of the best OSs out there. This is the fundamental change that windows is going through, that massive change from the way it used to be to the new way. Yes you could dual boot OS 9 to OSX, but what was the point? (aside from compatability). The change was there, and everyone survived.

Originally Posted by david4455
A friend sent me a newsletter sent out by their IT home consultant. He strongly recommended that if his clients were in the market for a new PC they should buy now ( this was mid September)....before Windows 8 was factory installed. Most of his clients are elderly and he is concerned that the learning curve would be just to great for them.
I think for someone who is not so great with computers this would be an easier system to use, especially if they stay in the "Metro" section. The desktop is for all practical purposes the same. My mother in law also sent me a newsletter saying to avoid the change because it would be a tough change to learn.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I think it's the change factor that's making some uncomfortable. The same thing happened with the introduction of the Start Menu in Win95. This is, IMHO, a positive evolution. I hope for Microsoft's sake that they aren't pushing too much change at once. That said, I like it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
I question the premise. Desktops and laptops are for information creators; tablets and smartphones are for information consumers. Not too many people write a white paper on a tablet. The workflows are fundamentally different. Why does the interface have to be the same? W8 is much more about Microsoft's agenda (extending hegemony to device categories where they have no real play at present) than the user's. If in the process of trying to plant a flag in tablets / touch they sacrifice bedrock usability conventions on the desktop/laptop, it's a net fail.

It's as if a BMW dashboard designer decided suddenly to relocate the turn signal indicator from the steering column to the center console, because that's where it is on their motorcycles and we have to have compatibility across BMW's spectrum of motoring devices. The hell you do.

I think user-centered, user-driven change is great. I think forcible change is not.

If they do for Skype what they did for Visio, aQuantive, Groove, etc ., etc., it won't work any more in a couple of years.
I meant a good one for MS not the consumer, having re-read the post I'm sorry that wasn't made clearer.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question What is " metro"?

Is this the new windows 8 look with large tiles?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgraded all my machines yesterday - it was a larger learning curve than I expected, but I'm hooked now.

Of course, now I want to go out and shop for a new touch enabled machine to replace my Asus Zenbook
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I generally use Opera. But last night I was using IE (not sure which version). It loaded pages quickly, and didn't stutter like it had with 7.

The ironic thing is I forgot to charge it last night, and have to post this from our macbook! I remember when OSX came out 10+ years ago people freaked out because it was soooo different, they hated the dock, it was too glossy. After a while everyone calmed down and got used it and are now calling it one of the best OSs out there. This is the fundamental change that windows is going through, that massive change from the way it used to be to the new way. Yes you could dual boot OS 9 to OSX, but what was the point? (aside from compatability). The change was there, and everyone survived.
That's true but then when MS introduced 95 it was seen as a revolution, however you could still have your program folders, they were just attached to a start menu as opposed to on the desktop. XP and everything that has come afterwards has been based around this idea, which has made it easy to upgrade. However you look at W8 and it isn't a similar experence to the one you're used to, and has some confusing features that some would say are counter intuative. Like having two IE versions that don't share Bookmarks Favourites etc. If they had offered an option of Metro Modern or traditional desptop in 8 and then went fully metro in 9 then that would be one thing but they haven't. I used to train people on software systems in a previous job and the main thing that causes heartache with average users is when things change out of all recognition. The lack of a hierarchical menu structure in Metro Modern is something that is going to be a right pain. If you're telling someone to look for a prog in 95 and beyond, chances are there will be something else (uninstall, readme, tools etc.) in either that folder or a subfolder. That's not the case in W8.

I think for someone who is not so great with computers this would be an easier system to use, especially if they stay in the "Metro" section. The desktop is for all practical purposes the same. My mother in law also sent me a newsletter saying to avoid the change because it would be a tough change to learn.
I was with a client last night who is a senior citizen, with a few laptops on XP dotted around the house. When the topic of W8 came up they said having seen it and played with it, the laptops would just need fixing or the hard drives cloning for any new machine as they would upgrading over their dead body. As they said "Damn thing looks like it was built for my grandchildren, not me."
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david4455
Is this the new windows 8 look with large tiles?
Metro was their name for the tiled interface on Windows 8 which they then discovered they were going to be getting into legal tangles if they used it. So having called it that pretty much since announcing it to the world they went through a massive rebrand and I understand the GUI is now called Modern instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.