Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Windows 8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
IMHO, Windows 8 with Start8 pretty much is Windows 7.1. Some improved tools (Task Monitor is much more useful) and very few UI tweaks, but everything else is W7, but faster (from what I've read).
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I was in a cell phone store yesterday (Three UK) and they are offering a free upgrade to W8 when you get a Win phone 8 from them. I asked why this was being done as he was pushing it quite hard in an attempt to get me to buy and the shop assistant told me off the record that WP8 wasn't exactly flying off the shelves and W8 hadn't been a huge hit either. This is obviously just gossip but makes you wonder.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Free copy of Windows 8 for Dummies

Courtesy of Dell, via SlickDeals
This link is now dead.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I have an old laptop (~4-5 yo) running Vista that had been my daughter's. It was running very slow, taking a long time to load web pages and such. I ran virus and spyware checks, removed a lot of programs, and cleaned up the startup programs, but still didn't run well. For $15 I bit the bullet and did the upgrade, there is a learning curve, but the system browses the web fine now, which is about all I plan to do with it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by djk7
I have an old laptop (~4-5 yo) running Vista that had been my daughter's. It was running very slow, taking a long time to load web pages and such. I ran virus and spyware checks, removed a lot of programs, and cleaned up the startup programs, but still didn't run well. For $15 I bit the bullet and did the upgrade, there is a learning curve, but the system browses the web fine now, which is about all I plan to do with it.
This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but its getting too long to go back and check now. I just can't remember...but anyways, Microsoft has stated that the hardware requirements for Windows 8 are less than Windows 7, which is also less than those for Vista, so in theory your 4-5yo vista running laptop should run Win8 better.

Also, I noticed in the news a few minutes ago, Microsoft is saying it has sold more than 40 million UPGRADES of windows 8, which is a faster pace than Windows 7, again, according to Microsoft, not me.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:16 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CPRich
OK, I've had a couple of weeks with Win8 now, getting over any knee-jerk reactions, etc.

My conclusion?

A fine upgrade for a desktop machine, as long as you spend the $4.99 on Start8 and set it to automatically go to desktop mode on startup. It's just a better Win7 - same user interface, with some improved tools. I hear it's also faster, but my new machine is much, much (much) more capable than my old, so I can't compare. I suspect Start8, or similar functionality, will be in SP1.

Metro/Modern? Looks like a nice tablet interface, maybe. Useless for desktop/keyboard/mouse usage, IMHO. They seems to have followed the Apple strategy of two completely different OS's for different purposes, but smashed them into a single .exe and box for sale.
Exactly my thoughts also.

Start8 is a great utility. Hopefully the developers will make their fortunes out of a Microsoft oversight
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-not-take-over
The other problem was the tingling ache that came from extending my right arm to manipulate that screen for hours, an affliction that has earned the nickname of gorilla arm. Some experts say gorilla arm is what killed touch computing during its first wave in the early 1980s.
"Gorilla arm"
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: QFF
I've seen and tried Win8 at a number of trial kiosks set up in shopping malls around the world. I'd much rather use XP. The only reason I'm on Win7 now is because when I last upgraded my PC and laptop and went to install XP, I found that the disc no longer worked. The very first thing I do on an new install is revert the interface back to the Windows 2000/XP "Classic" version. Otherwise it simply isn't useable.

I don't want "Shiny" and "Flashy". I want functional.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Funny review of Windows 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WTYet-qf1jo

Dont agree with all of his points, but its still pretty funny.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Himeno
I don't want "Shiny" and "Flashy". I want functional.
Trying Win8 at kiosks, you were probably forced through the Metro/Modern/that-which-shall-not-be-named interface.

Find a machine with Start8 that defaults to the desktop. I've been using it for months and had to work on my in-law's PC last weekend running XP. Ack!

If you're more comfortable sticking with an interface you know, that's fine. But it doesn't mean it's better.

I spoke with my in-laws this weekend. They said that after a little while finding where things were, they found the new UI better, faster, etc. Being in their 60s/70s, I think they're a decent test case.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Trying Win8 at kiosks, you were probably forced through the Metro/Modern/that-which-shall-not-be-named interface.

Find a machine with Start8 that defaults to the desktop. I've been using it for months and had to work on my in-law's PC last weekend running XP. Ack!

If you're more comfortable sticking with an interface you know, that's fine. But it doesn't mean it's better.

I spoke with my in-laws this weekend. They said that after a little while finding where things were, they found the new UI better, faster, etc. Being in their 60s/70s, I think they're a decent test case.
Or Classic Shell which also happens to have the advantage of being free (with the option to donate).

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 7, 2013 at 8:18 am
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better and faster than what? My machines run Win7 (except my thin clients, all of which are service machines, and run either XP or XPe). Win8 offers no improvement over Win7 EXCEPT the Metro interface which, to my way of thinking, is not an improvement (I'm happy with Android on my phones and tablets, and have no interest in a touch-screen powered PC with a similar interface). Even if Win8 offered the exact same functionality as Win7, but with a slight speed advantage, I can't think of any reason why I'd want to adopt it -- I remember the long quest for Win7 drivers (some of which never were written, resulting in having to abandon long-cherished hardware), and have no desire to repeat the process with Win8. All my software is optimized for Win7. I don't want to upgrade just to gain compatibility with an OS that offers me no advantages.

Win8 reflects something that I've noticed developing in the hardware field: the dumbing-down -- in fact, the infantilizing -- of computers and computer-based gear. A camera that can play games? A phone app that beeps if someone else with the same app walks by? Tablets for which 90% of app development is gaming? And now, a PC OS designed, not to allow you to do work -- to actually DO something -- but to keep up with your social networks?

No thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The moon must be full: I quite agree.

And as with Jimmie76, I again recommend:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
The moon must be full: I quite agree.

And as with Jimmie76, I again recommend:
I've suggested that to embattled Win 8 demonstrators who were fighting a losing battle with uncertain customers. One of them told me he was going to bookmark that page so he could inform people how they could get the XP/7 UI out of their Win 8 machine.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:53 am
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Win8 offers no improvement over Win7 EXCEPT the Metro interface which, to my way of thinking, is not an improvement (I'm happy with Android on my phones and tablets, and have no interest in a touch-screen powered PC with a similar interface).
No thanks.
That is not entirely true. Windows 8 offers better performance over Windows 7 straight out of the box. I'm talking about faster boot sequence, it has a better core usage, a faster browser (IE 10) and I can keep on going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.