Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Windows 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:49 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
So, any additional thoughts on Windows 8?

I see the upgrade price goes up at the end of the month.... and I am on the fence of whether or not to upgrade.

I have a 2012 Levono laptop... use Microsoft Outlook... nothing fancy.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by wharvey
So, any additional thoughts on Windows 8?\
I love it, but it seems to have a serious love/hate dichotomy in the public. It's a serious change from the old Windows 95 start button paradigm, but IMHO it's a positive change.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:01 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
So, any additional thoughts on Windows 8?

I see the upgrade price goes up at the end of the month.... and I am on the fence of whether or not to upgrade.

I have a 2012 Levono laptop... use Microsoft Outlook... nothing fancy.

Thoughts?
There is nothing in Windows8, imo, for the type of user that you are (and my patterns are similar, although I don't use the execrable Outlook ) that is worth the upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by cblaisd
There is nothing in Windows8, imo, for the type of user that you are (and my patterns are similar, although I don't use the execrable Outlook ) that is worth the upgrade.
The built in Hyper-V is worth the upgrade fee for me alone.

I don't use the 'Metro' front end - I just boot straight to the normal desktop.

For £25, it's a no-brainer to upgrade IMO.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:31 am

Can you translate for the non-technical among us?

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The built in Hyper-V is worth the upgrade fee for me alone.

I don't use the 'Metro' front end - I just boot straight to the normal desktop.

For £25, it's a no-brainer to upgrade IMO.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Got a refurbished Latitude ST tablet on very reduced sale (< $300) from Dell to try out Windows 8 on touch hardware. I'll now grant that a lot of the decisions they made make sense in that context, although demoting the desktop to a second-class citizen makes no sense for power users, and the hacks involved in running the desktop as primary are a PITA.

It is, however, still not as good a tablet OS as Android or the iOS, and they have a high bar to catch up.

As an aside, the Latitude ST is the slowest machine relative to its current generation of software that I've used since abandoning floppy disks, and the slowest windows machine (in absolute terms) that I've used since 2002.

I can't recommend it for any purpose, and it's probably going back to Dell.

That said Windows 8 is much faster than the Windows 7 on it; it came out of the box with Aero, and everying crawled...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Can you translate for the non-technical among us?
If you want to see the Metro Modern interface then you can just use the OS out of the box. However there are a number of programs that give you the look of previous OS versions i.e. with a Start button and menu rather than the tiles. Classic Shell is one of these that is free, Start8 is a paid for one.

Hyper V is described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I upgraded a Dell Inspiron N5110, fairly current specs, at the release and was impressed at first. After way too many phone calls to tech support and hours of wait time and actual time fixing problems, I do not recommend upgrading. Every problem I have had was due to known issues that had not been addressed before the release. Give MSFT some time to fix the many, many bugs before switching.

When it works, it's great, it just does not work as well as 7. Lack of support for BluRay is still a big issue for me.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:01 am

Why did I expect that I would hear both sides... and be no closer to a decision...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Chrome has a larger market share than IE, and Firefox is not far behind...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage...f_web_browsers
OK, they're down in terms of home usage but businesses rely heavily on IE because devs can't update their software each time Google decides to update their browser.

Like I already said, I rely on more than one browser for what I do on my PC, be it work or just personal stuff.

To be honest, I do not understand why some people just say that W8 is a stepdown if they did not at least test it for a couple of days. I agree, at first I was a bit annoyed by how Microsoft reorganized everything but after a while I felt comfortable. I am not bothered anymore by not having a CP shortcut in the start menu (Win+X works like magic) or the Program Files shortcuts. I find it that it's a lot faster to simply search for anything using the Charms bar; back in W7 I used the search function so now it feels natural.

I bet that in six to eight months once W8 becomes more main stream, everybody is going to like it as much as they liked 7. Probably the most useful thing I find useful in W8 is the fact that I'm able to restore the OS just like I would do on my Galaxy S phone.. http://www.onebitzero.com/six-featur...nt-know-about/ At least for this one would have to give credit for MS, as it is a first for them and necessary in the tablet/mobile environment.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Why did I expect that I would hear both sides... and be no closer to a decision...
Well, this is FT. If you ask 10 people something on FT, you're likely to get at least 17 different answers from those 10 people...

Regards
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
To be clear from my standpoint...

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
You could always buy a boxed upgrade copy and sell it later on (possibly for more) if you decide not to use it.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
[snip] . . .
There's the Computer Settings on the Modern side, but there's still the classic Control Panel on the Desktop side that still has many more options. For some actions (like advanced printer setup) you'll get bounced over from Modern to Desktop.

The Modern interface isn't as intuitive as the older interfaces. You have to be told to mouse into the corners to bring up the charms or task switcher; there's no real way to figure it out by looking at it. [comment added, Even told, the charms don't stay long enough to click on them. ]

You also have to read up on what dragging the top of Modern apps does -- to the side to make a 1/3-2/3 screen split, or down to the bottom to close an app. A cheat sheet of Win+keystroke shortcuts also helps a lot. For example, Win+X brings up a power user menu with options for the classic computer management console or the control panel.
Thank you. Finally I read some instructions that make sense and get me into familiar territory.

Here's a nomination for alanh for computer saint of the year. ^

Hit the window key at the bottom left and then "X," and I get a long list of options that finally get me back into familiar territory!

FlyerTalk has once again come through! ! ! !

Question for the powers that be, whoever they are, in the amorphous computer clouds, who got us all into this mess: Why can't computers come with instructions? Would it be too much trouble to enclose a list of instructions of how to start the thing, how to switch from screen to screen, how to access lists such as above for Run, Task Manager, and the like?

In the meantime, the above has helped a lot. Nominate you for saint of the year. (No, I said that, didn't I?)

Now if I could just figure how to stop this screen from enlarging/shrinking, etc., as if I had hit Control and +. Or the charms from appearing when I don't want them to, or vanishing when I am trying to click on them.

But anyhow, I can find "Run" and "Task Manager" and "Control Panel" now. I have even (per another post) figured out how to forward my Verizon email to what's-its-name, Windows Live or Windows Outlook or whatever.

Computer life is (reasonably) good once again. (Until I try again to tackle learning Skype. )

Addendum: What's this cheat sheet for Windows plus keys you mention? TIA.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
Addendum: What's this cheat sheet for Windows plus keys you mention? TIA.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=list+of+windows+8+hotkeys&l=1

QL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.