http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup...-domain/24699/
You're a rock star. ^

Bookmarked for tinkering later.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
Originally Posted by CatJo
Looks like you can, pretty easily; check this out:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup...-domain/24699/
I was really looking forward to doing this, so I checked out the link. Here's an extract:

Step #2: On the next screen, you’ll be provided with a list of custom DNS records that you will have to add to your domain. The following two records are essential:

MX record for handling your mail traffic
It usually reads like abc.pamx1.hotmail.com
SPF record to authenticate your outgoing Outlook emails
It has a fixed value v=spf1 include:hotmail.com ~all
Related reading: Prevents your emails from getting marked as spam

Step #3: While you are on your domain registrar’s page add these custom DNS records for Outlook, create an additional CNAME record if you wish to access the Outlook.com website as a sub-domain of your main website.

For instance, if your website is yourdomain.com, you can setup a CNAME record called “mail” and you will then be access to access Outlook.com from mail.yourdomain.com. The value of the CNAME record should be set as “go.domains.live.com.” (no quotes but period at the end).

BUT but but...what the #*!+ does Step 2 MEAN? What is an MX and an SPF record? Where do I find out what they should be for my purpose? "It usually reads like ....."; what help is that?

This is not "easy", at least not for me, it's techno-babble for techno literates. Might as well be calculus. Anyone got the instructions for dummies?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RobCH
BUT but but...what the #*!+ does Step 2 MEAN? What is an MX and an SPF record? Where do I find out what they should be for my purpose? "It usually reads like ....."; what help is that?

This is not "easy", at least not for me, it's techno-babble for techno literates. Might as well be calculus. Anyone got the instructions for dummies?
First two questions...

1. Who hosts your domain name?
2. Do you host a website with said-domain name? If so, who with?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The MX record indicates what server handles incoming mail for your domain.

The SPF record indicates which servers are allowed to send outgoing email for your domain. The internet is designed so that someone can start up a mail server, say, somewhere in Uganda, and start sending emails out from RobCH.com. The SPF record says "No, emails from RobCH.com that are originating from Uganda are not legitimate" (i.e. they will be treated as spam).
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
First two questions...

1. Who hosts your domain name?
2. Do you host a website with said-domain name? If so, who with?
Thanks for the interest.
123-reg.co.uk
No, domain name only used for emails. Currently just forwards incoming to my hotmail inbox.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thanks for the interest.
123-reg.co.uk
No, domain name only used for emails. Currently just forwards incoming to my hotmail inbox.
There's no reason you couldn't just forward them to outlook.com (or just access your hotmail box through outlook.com)

While I'm not familiar with 123-reg.co.uk, for most domain providers offer you an administrative panel where you can change those settings. It's not for the faint of heart, and you should make careful note of what they are before you change them.

Each provider has a different way of doing it, the easiest way to figure it out is to search for mx record in their knowledgebase, they probably have a page explaining how to get to those settings.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cordelli
While I'm not familiar with 123-reg.co.uk, for most domain providers offer you an administrative panel where you can change those settings. It's not for the faint of heart, and you should make careful note of what they are before you change them.

Each provider has a different way of doing it, the easiest way to figure it out is to search for mx record in their knowledgebase, they probably have a page explaining how to get to those settings.
Perhaps calling their tech support people is another option? They may be able to walk you through the process.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Perhaps calling their tech support people is another option? They may be able to walk you through the process.
I used Godaddy for my custom domain for hotmail, and in the help section I seem to recall they had step by step instructions on how to configure your domain including the MX and SPF settings. I suspect you can find similar instructions for your domain registrar - I'd do a Google/Bing/Yahoo search for it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:10 pm

Thanks again all. I have done as cordelli suggests and simply changed the forwarding arrangements from hotmail to outlook. It all works, even if it's not as clean as it could be.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:16 am

I still think that GMAIL is best and with gmail hacks that you can use for earning bonus miles and points...its hard to beat...just IMHO
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msb0b
Office 365 is Microsoft's hosted cloud services. It's been a while since I looked into it, but two things turned me off to them: 1. There is no free basic level service, and 2. Microsoft requires you to delegate your domain's DNS to their name servers.
#2 isn't true. While they list that as their preferred method, I followed their instructions to get it set up with our own DNS service.

For #1, $4 per month per user, including a cloud based Blackberry Enterprise Server equivalent and 25gb of storage seems like a decent price compared to other hosted exchange solutions.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Did you change your Hotmail address to an Outlook.com address?

Has anyone signed up and switched over their Hotmail address to a Outlook.com email address? Is there any known benefit to doing so?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:53 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I couldn't see a benefit. Right now the user interface is identical.

Did create an Outlook.com address, as I was able to grab a name I liked that was available. But for now it is just one of ten email accounts I have floating around.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This previous thread may help

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-changer.html

I went to the new interface the day it was announced and love it, and grabbed a few outlook.com addresses before they were taken.

People either like it or they hate the new look and features, there are some changes that are listed and argued in the other thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.