FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Is outlook.com a game changer? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1373403-outlook-com-game-changer.html)

BelfastFlyer Aug 3, 2012 3:22 am

Is outlook.com a game changer?

So I decided to see what all the fuss is about and took a look around outlook.com. It's not bad!

I've been a yahoo email user since it started (all those years ago), and think it is still the best email provider in the world but outlook is getting there.. and I'm finally tempted to switch. I love the tiles design and once skype is launched on it, it will be hard to beat.

However, there are still a few things that stick out in my mind...
  • It doesn't provide unlimited storage unlike yahoo.
  • I'm not convinced Microsoft have sorted the security issues they had earlier in the year.
  • SPAM! Will it be honey to the spam bee, like hotmail was?

What do you all think?

WC_EEND Aug 3, 2012 5:41 am

Given the amount of spam I get on my hotmail, I'm willing to check it out and see if spam reduces on their new service.

cordelli Aug 3, 2012 11:19 am

I posted this picture on Facebook earlier in the week when I first tried it.

I figure if they can catch their own stuff as SPAM, it may be worth trying for a change. Somebody over at Microsoft probably is not laughing now.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2985/outlookl.jpg

SRQ Guy Aug 3, 2012 11:37 am

Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer (Post 19051571)
  • It doesn't provide unlimited storage unlike yahoo.

It does have unlimited storage.

I'm not a convert at this point, but I like it. The SPAM filter has been amazing thus far. I was getting literally hundreds of SPAM messages a day in my hotmail inbox, rendering it unusable. So far every single one of those has been dropping into my SPAM filter, leaving me with a 0 count in my inbox since the introduction Tuesday.

nerd Aug 3, 2012 12:13 pm

What is outlook.com -- just a re-packaged hotmail?

How is it that outlook.com and hotmail would be using two different spam filters?

pseudoswede Aug 3, 2012 12:14 pm

Can you migrate your own domains to outlook.com (like Google Apps)?

pseudoswede Aug 3, 2012 12:21 pm

Just moved my Hotmail account over. Wow. Very slick.

Absolutely love the "Schedule cleanup" functionality. I wish Gmail had this. There is similar functionality in Thunderbird, but it doesn't work at all (and a real PITA to setup).

SRQ Guy Aug 3, 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 19053947)
What is outlook.com -- just a re-packaged hotmail?

Sort of, but not really. it's a lot better. On par with gmail.

How is it that outlook.com and hotmail would be using two different spam filters?
I have no idea, but it seems to work really well since I migrated over.

planemechanic Aug 3, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't get it.

Why is this any better than using Outlook on my laptop and syncing that with my iPad and iPhone? (as well as the company Droid)?? What does this new service provide that I don't already have?

:confused: :confused:

nerd Aug 3, 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy (Post 19054561)
Sort of, but not really. it's a lot better. On par with gmail.

So I can see that it's all the same features I get on live.com after logging into my hotmail account.

I still am not sure how it's not just hotmail.com/live.com with exactly the same functionality but a different, but quite similar*, interface.

*meaning the menu options are still the same, the organization of content is the same, navigation steps are still the same, etc.

Centurion Aug 3, 2012 11:50 pm

yahoo better than gmail!?

Does anyone really think yahoo is better than gmail? I have not been able to get my yahoo outgoing mail to sync with iphone at a reasonable time and I have never been able to get yahoo calander to sync with iphone. I intall gmail once in my iphone and everything works perfect. Unfortunately most of my mail is still on Yahoo and I have a lot of mail

scubadu Aug 4, 2012 5:42 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic (Post 19056613)
I don't get it.

Why is this any better than using Outlook on my laptop and syncing that with my iPad and iPhone? (as well as the company Droid)?? What does this new service provide that I don't already have?

:confused: :confused:

Ummm... you do realize that not everyone has Outlook on their "laptop" correct? In fact, I'd hazard to guess that not even the majority of folks (particularly for personal use) have Outlook on their laptop.

Regards

CPRich Aug 4, 2012 7:59 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 19057767)
Ummm... you do realize that not everyone has Outlook on their "laptop" correct? In fact, I'd hazard to guess that not even the majority of folks (particularly for personal use) have Outlook on their laptop.

Regards

And a majority of people, a majority of the time, don't have their laptop in front of them. If you have no need for web-based email then no, outlook.com is not for you.

I typed in outlook.com and was taken to my existing hotmail.com account with a different color scheme. I guess the login mechanism is the same (I was logged into hotmail in another tab). It looks/functions identically to me, so far, compared to hotmail. But all I use is email, perhaps it has a bunch of twitter/facebook/foursquare/humptihump integration that I'm not seeing/have no interest in.

WC_EEND Aug 4, 2012 8:55 am

Well, after a day or so of using outlook.com instead of traditional hotmail, I have to say, it filters spam much better. I usually get about 4-6 spam mails per day, and so far I have received none.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Aug 4, 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 19057084)
Does anyone really think yahoo is better than gmail? I have not been able to get my yahoo outgoing mail to sync with iphone at a reasonable time and I have never been able to get yahoo calander to sync with iphone. I intall gmail once in my iphone and everything works perfect. Unfortunately most of my mail is still on Yahoo and I have a lot of mail

You might have a setup problem. My Yahoo outgoing mail syncs fairly quickly, and calendar syncs with my iPhone and iPad. I forgot how I did it, because I did it about 3 years ago, but I think you need to find the calDAV or webDAV address and just click on it, and iOS will do the rest.