Wiki Posts
Search

Texting between Netherlands and Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Texting between Netherlands and Australia

Hi,

I'm posting for my boss whose son is travelling to the Netherlands soon. What are the best options for cheap texting between them while his son is away (for about 6 mths). They won't be calling using mobiles, only using text.

Thanks for your help.

Shanti Trish
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
do both have smartphones? if so, you can look into an app like WhatsApp messenger.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
iMessage if both have iPhones... else, whatsapp or Viber would work fine
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Smile thank you

Thank you for your answers. They both have iphones, so I'll look into imessenger.

Shanti Trish
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks SQ421, make that iMessages
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
This will depend on his son having a data connection while he's away - otherwise the texts will just be regular international texts. If his phone is unlocked he can get a local SIM card with a small amount of data and this will allow iMessages to be sent for free.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:25 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
You could also organise a VOIPBuster account, free calls between Australia and Netherlands, and very cheap texts. Yes I know you only wish to text, might be nice to talk at some stage
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:57 am

If you go to whirlpoolforums which is a great Australian tech forum, there is a deal going on called "Whirlpool Saver" in the VOIP forum. It will give you an Australian landline number for like $5. They have apps for iOS and Android.

Rebtel has an interesting free deal for its subscribers. Their app will allow two mobiles in different countries to be triggered to call a conferencing number in their respective countries and be bridged together for the cost of outbound local minutes.

Viber mentioned in another thread allows VOIP Over 3g calls between two subscribers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.