Wiki Posts
Search

techno-tard needs help with iPhone/sim card in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
techno-tard needs help with iPhone/sim card in Beijing

Howdy! I'm a techno-tard. I have no idea was a sim card is, how to insert one in my iPhone 3GS, and what it can help me with when traveling.

I'm going to Beijing on Saturday, and I want to be able to use my phone for calling and to access the internet. ATT told me I can pay them $200 to sign up for a new international plan

What's the best inexpensive option for this, and how do I do it????

TIA and please don't call me an idiot I come here humbly seeking help from my more techno-savvy fellow FTers!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by carsonheim
Howdy! I'm a techno-tard. I have no idea was a sim card is, how to insert one in my iPhone 3GS, and what it can help me with when traveling.

I'm going to Beijing on Saturday, and I want to be able to use my phone for calling and to access the internet. ATT told me I can pay them $200 to sign up for a new international plan

What's the best inexpensive option for this, and how do I do it????

TIA and please don't call me an idiot I come here humbly seeking help from my more techno-savvy fellow FTers!
AFAIK ATT does not allow you to unlock your iPhone, so you have to jailbreak, pretty heavy stuff to use a local SIM. Probably easier and cheaper to buy a cheap simple unlocked phone and use that
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by DisneyDude
AFAIK ATT does not allow you to unlock your iPhone, so you have to jailbreak, pretty heavy stuff to use a local SIM. Probably easier and cheaper to buy a cheap simple unlocked phone and use that
thanks DD. I have no idea about jailbreaking. Although I do know how to use a Chi straightening iron with fascinating precision! I guess it's a girly thing! Will probably just look into a cheap phone option once I arrive in China. Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:20 am

If possible, have someone who speaks Mandarin help you get the local SIM. The staff are usually quite happy to help and competent to boot, albeit only in Mandarin.

If you can't, I'd budget additional time and bring your passport. IIRC, they would only give me a SIM if I presented my passport for them to photocopy.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:18 am

Slightly OT but make sure to turn off data roaming on your iPhone and avoid any internet usage unless you're on wifi. Otherwise you will get a nasty AT&T bill when you return home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.