Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

32" LG LED HDTV 32LV2500 $299 (Planning to take it india)..will it work??

Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Purchased this at Frys this weekend. Voltage says 110/220v (50/60 Hz)...But I dont see a mention of PAL on it...wondering if it will work in India...manual says NTSC...however i have seen in some forums where ppl says Vizio/LG works in India...(voltage is usually an indication). Also the model # has a LG-32LV2500.UA (I read somewhere samsung uses a similar convention, UN for NTSC and UA is both NTSC/PAL)

Can someone please shed light? Appreciate the advise...
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:17 pm

Perhaps the question is better suited at avforums.com?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 678flyer
Perhaps the question is better suited at avforums.com?
i agree....this has nothing to do with airlines of india....
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
you can buy converters in india but there's no bloody point

its not just voltage - power supplies etc for indian tvs are typically specced to handle dirtier power than in the USA (voltage fluctuations etc).

carry a large, expensive and fragile item in your checked baggage and -

a. The chance of it arriving in little glass splinters after the baggage handlers are finished with it is very high

b. The chance of customs people asking you for some money (duty, bribes, or both) is just about 100%

Far cheaper if you buy the damned thing in India - you also get local support.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hserus
you can buy converters in india but there's no bloody point
Converter for what?
Please don't take it personally, but your post is mostly babble.

its not just voltage - power supplies etc for indian tvs are typically specced to handle dirtier power than in the USA (voltage fluctuations etc).
By talking about voltages and power supplies you are missing the point. Modern TV's have well regulated switched power supplies. So power supply is hardly an issue.
The issue is the color system and tuner. A TV for the U.S. market will have either ATSC (digital) or both ATSC and NTSC (analogue). Early digital TVs sold in the U.S. had both ATSC and NTSC (analogue) tuners.
Although the TV that the OP purchased supports 50Hz power supply, but that means little as it must be able to support 50Hz video. ATSC uses 720p/1080i at 60Hz while DVB-T uses 720p or 1080i at 50Hz, for high definition digital broadcast. SO, if the TV supports 50Hz video, it could work with digital signal via satellite or cable, but it will ABSOLUTELY not work with analogue over the air broadcast.
Now that analogue broadcast is history, I don't know if any manufacturer puts NTSC tuner on their devices sold in the U.S.
NTSC and PAL have different frame rates (30 fps for NTSC vs 25 fps for PAL). The two systems also have different number of lines, 525 vs 625.
Has India started digital broadcast yet? It will absolutely not work with analogue broadcast. Since you are not likely to find even an NTSC tuner on TV's sold in the U.S. today, chances of finding one with PAL tuner sold in a mainstream store are none to negligible. Only specilty stores big cities like NY, Houston, LA, Chicago, sell such equipment.

The digital standard for television broadcast in India is DVB-T (Digital Television Broadcast-Terrestrial). If you have a digital feed from satellite dish, there is a good possibility that it might work, but I am not sure.

carry a large, expensive and fragile item in your checked baggage and -

a. The chance of it arriving in little glass splinters after the baggage handlers are finished with it is very high
That is a possibility, but people have been bringing TV's to India from Bangkok, Dubai and the U.S. for nearly 30 years. I haven;t heard of any mishap, but then I don;t pay a whole of attention to such endeavours as I have never been interested in taking a TV to India.

b. The chance of customs people asking you for some money (duty, bribes, or both) is just about 100%
Which year are you talking about? Those days are gone. I know someone who took a TV from Bangkok to India and paid about 30% duty.

I doubt that you can get a 32 inch TV in India for $300.

Note to OP: For digital TV NTSC and PAL are irrelevant. Those standards are obsolete. If I made a penny everytime I corrected this notion of NTSC and PAL with digital TV, I would be a rich man.. like Keyser.
Note to objectors: Agreed, this has nothing to do with Airlines of India. But it is very pertinent to India. It could be put in India forum.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jul 6, 2011 at 3:35 am
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
The chance of customs people asking you for some money (duty, bribes, or both) is just about 100%
this is no longer true....if you are ready to pay the correct duty then there is no question of bribes....it's a very easy process now....very transparent....
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Converter for what?
Please don;t take it personally, but your post is mostly babble.

By talking about voltages and power supplies you are missing the point. Modern TV's have well regulated switched power supplies. So power supply is hard an issue.
The issue is the color system and tuner. A TV for the U.S. market will have either ATSC (digital) or both ATSC and NTSC (analogue). Early digital TVs sold in the U.S. had both ATSC and NTSC (analogue) tuners.
Although the TV that the OP purchased supports 50Hz power supply, but that means little as it must be able to support 50Hz video. ATSC uses 720p/1080i at 60Hz while DVB-T uses 720p or 1080i at 50Hz, for high definition digital broadcast. SO, if the TV supports 50Hz video, it could work with digital signal via satellite or cable, but it will ABSOLUTELY not work with analogue over the air broadcast.
Now that analogue broadcast is history, I don't know if any manufacturer puts NTSC tuner on their devices sold in the U.S.
NTSC and PAL have different frame rates (30 fps for NTSC vs 25 fps for PAL). The two systems also have different number of lines, 525 vs 625.
Has India started digital broadcast yet? It will absolutely not work with analogue broadcast. Since you are not likely to find even an NTSC tuner on TV's sold in the U.S. today, chances of finding one with PAL tuner sold in a mainstream store are none to negligible. Only specilty stores big cities like NY, Houston, LA, Chicago, sell such equipment.

The digital standard for television broadcast in India is DVB-T (Digital Television Broadcast-Terrestrial). If you have a digital feed from satellite dish, there is a good possibility that it might work, but I am not sure.

That is a possibility, but people have been bringing TV's to India from Bangkok, Dubai and the U.S. for nearly 30 years. I haven;t heard of any mishap, but then I don;t pay a whole of attention to such endeavours as I have never been interested in taking a TV to India.

Which year are you talking about? Those days are gone. I know someone who took a TV from Bangkok to India and paid about 30% duty.

I doubt that you can get a 32 inch TV in India for $300.

Note to OP. For digital TV NTSC and PAL are irrelevant. Those standards are obsolete.
dont travellers to india have a Rs20,000 duty free allowance? the OP may not have to pay any duty at all

32" LED TV for $300 - u cannot get a branded 32" LCD for the price in India let alone a LED.

digital DTH is available in India - Reliance, Airtel, etc. digital cable is also avilable though not widespread

as Yaatri mentions no need for a voltage converter - OP mentions voltage is 110/220V (50/60 Hz) and can be used in India
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by manuc
dont travellers to india have a Rs20,000 duty free allowance? the OP may not have to pay any duty at all

32" LED TV for $300 - u cannot get a branded 32" LCD for the price in India let alone a LED.

digital DTH is available in India - Reliance, Airtel, etc. digital cable is also avilable though not widespread

as Yaatri mentions no need for a voltage converter - OP mentions voltage is 110/220V (50/60 Hz) and can be used in India
I think the duty is on the price as calculated by the customs.
The TV will come with type A plug. He will need an adapter for the plug. I think, the Coax input is different too in India.
I also think DVB-T Tv's don't have HDMI.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manuc
customs will calculate duty on the actual price of the product & not the discounted price....so the op will have to pay duty....
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
As Keyser Said, Customs has a list a TV models and Price in india - Based on which you have to pay tax.

Second hand experience, flying from SIN with a friend/colleague , he brought a 32" LCD (350 SGD) - the Price in india was about 23-24K INR and customs let him go without any tax / duty / bribe. Another guy in same flight, had a 40" LED - though the price was about 450 SGD, he has to pay the tax on indian price which was around 70K INR even though he had the invoice / CC charge slip etc for 450 SGDs.

If you happen to fly from SIN, you would be amused by the number of LCD TVs they load to each flight to india - I had seen 2 Luggage carts full of them (Around 40 LCD/LEDs) around last Diwali.

Also there are enterprising folks in Singapore, who come to SIN airport every day with 5-10 sets and solicit volunteers who can take a TV set to india for some gift in return.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
this is no longer true....if you are ready to pay the correct duty then there is no question of bribes....it's a very easy process now....very transparent....
Sorry, but you must be living in some other place called India. In the India where I live, the solicitation of bribes by corrupt public officials is still very much a part of everyday life. Have you not hear of the Jan Lokpal debate?

To the OP...you should be able to bring this in duty-free as part of your Rs 20,000 allowance. Make sure you have the original receipt...even if the Customs people try to bring out an "Indian Price List", that is irrelevant. Firmly but politely insist that the item is valued as per the receipt and that it is part of your duty free allowance. Eventually they will give up and go hassle someone with five TVs.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri
The TV will come with type A plug. He will need an adapter for the plug. I think, the Coax input is different too in India.
I also think DVB-T Tv's don't have HDMI.
Correct - the coax cables are different. The power plug can be rewired by any competent electrician for a few hundred rupees.

However most other video electronics (satellite/cable TV set-top boxes, DVD players, etc.) have HDMI or component A/V connections as well. My living room satellite system (Tata Sky with DVR), all Indian-bought except for a Vizio Blu-Ray DVD, is fully HDMI connected and works great. My other system uses component (red/white/yellow) cables and works fine too.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:51 pm

OP may wish to consider a voltage stabilizer or a smart UPS. I have the latter on my home system and I have never lost a component due to a voltage spike. It also has the advantage of allowing you to continue watching TV when the power goes out, and avoiding the long boot-up delay on the satellite DVR when the backup generator kicks in.

hserus makes two excellent points. LG and Samsung have made huge inroads into the Indian white goods market by customizing their product for the local conditions, including dirty power. I doubt that you can walk into any middle or upper class home in India without finding at least one major appliance of Korean origin.

Second, while you may not find many electronic components that are cheaper in India, the price difference has narrowed so much in recent years that it is really not worth the hassle to bring stuff in (unless you get a really sweet deal like the OP has). When I go to my neighborhood TV-wallah, from whom I have bought lots of stuff over the years, I get a good price which includes an army of guys who come to my house, do the installation, and make sure that everything is working to my satisfaction. If I ever have a problem (which I haven't), the same army shows up to fix it or take it back for servicing.

The only electronic component that I have bought in the US in the past several years was a Vizio Blu-Ray DVD player. It was the first dual-voltage system I had seen in the US and was on sale for $129 back when Blu-Ray systems were $300 and up in the US (and more in India).
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFW DL
Correct - the coax cables are different. The power plug can be rewired by any competent electrician for a few hundred rupees.

However most other video electronics (satellite/cable TV set-top boxes, DVD players, etc.) have HDMI or component A/V connections as well. My living room satellite system (Tata Sky with DVR), all Indian-bought except for a Vizio Blu-Ray DVD, is fully HDMI connected and works great. My other system uses component (red/white/yellow) cables and works fine too.
If the TV's have HDMI inputs, it's good to know. I have seen DVB-T televisions without HDMI and something else in its place
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Whizkid
Also there are enterprising folks in Singapore, who come to SIN airport every day with 5-10 sets and solicit volunteers who can take a TV set to india for some gift in return.
Thats a turn of roulette nor worth playing...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.