Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unlocked MIFI Solution

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'm waiting to see if a smart phone or tablet will support as many LTE bands worldwide as possible.

These should also support all the 3G bands.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:07 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Just to clarify, would I need to buy the phone to use as a hotspot, but not register for a contract (and I assume simply use prepaid SIM cards)?
Old May 20, 2013, 7:04 pm

One more question - has anyone heard of Globalgig? http://www.globalgig.com/pricing-plans.aspx $17 / month for 1GB of data. Works in USA, UK, Australia, Ireland, Hong Kong, Sweden and Denmark and they're expanding to more countries. Too good to be true?
Old May 20, 2013, 7:25 pm

Yes. Just by an unlocked phone with the appropriate 3G bands on amazon, eBay, etc. Then just put your prepaid sim in it.

Originally Posted by sthmp77
Thank you very much for the reply. Just to clarify, would I need to buy the phone to use as a hotspot, but not register for a contract (and I assume simply use prepaid SIM cards)?
Old May 21, 2013, 5:24 am

Thank you! Very helpful.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:32 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Thank you! Very helpful.
In Tokyo I used my Nexus one with a 1GB prepaid sim from B-mobile and used that to give signal to all my devices while I was outside of the hotel. I kept my phone in my camera bag and my SGS3 in my pocked the entire time with wifi on. Worked like a charm
Old May 22, 2013, 5:08 pm
Suspended

What's teh battery life like on the Nexus One?

Does it have removable batteries?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:28 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by wco81
What's teh battery life like on the Nexus One?

Does it have removable batteries?
It does and mine is rooted so I have my kernel set up to run at minimal speed when the screen is off, so I could go two days on battery without turning the screen on.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for an unlocked MiFi for use with an iPad. I travel mostly to Europe, primarily Germany & Switzerland. Any recommendations on brand, where to purchase in U.S. or Zurich? Cost?
Thanks in advance.
I've used my Novatel MiFi 2352 and iPad all over Europe - I just pick up a local PAYG data SIM for it. The only country where I had to do anything more than just inserting the SIM was Italy, where i had to change the APN. Bought mine online a couple of years ago - no idea what it costs now, but there's probably a newer model available.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
It does and mine is rooted so I have my kernel set up to run at minimal speed when the screen is off, so I could go two days on battery without turning the screen on.
I meant when you're tethering to it.

Is the tethering in the stock OS or do you have to be rooted to do it?
Old May 24, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by wco81
I meant when you're tethering to it.

Is the tethering in the stock OS or do you have to be rooted to do it?
You need to be rooted to get the tether application to work, there might be some out there that do not require root.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
One more question - has anyone heard of Globalgig? http://www.globalgig.com/pricing-plans.aspx $17 / month for 1GB of data. Works in USA, UK, Australia, Ireland, Hong Kong, Sweden and Denmark and they're expanding to more countries. Too good to be true?
If you go over the 1GB per month data allocation, you will be very sorry. From their "Savings" page:
Tired of paying sky-high charges to use the internet abroad, but still want great value broadband at home? From just $17 a month you can make your mobile broadband even more mobile, because we won’t charge you a penny more to use it internationally. Even if you go over your monthly allowance, it won’t start costing an arm and a leg. While other major carriers charge up to $6 per extra MB of data roaming, Globalgig will only charge you 5¢.
That 5 cents per MB translates to $50 per GB.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:35 pm

Getting online anywhere: device plus plan

Hoping I can get some good ideas or advice from the flyertalk brains trust.

This is a gift for my father, who travels frequently internationally, and often stays in out-of-the way places that might have commercial wireless phone networks available but not readily accessible internet connections. So I'm trying to solve the device + plan problem.

Looking for a device that can be used in US, EU, and Australia, and can be hooked up with temporary plans in these places (e.g. Virgin has pay by the month plans--but it's unclear from their website if you need to buy their hardware to get that plan, and also if you do, will the hardware work in other countries?)

Any advice welcome!!
Old May 24, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
If you go over the 1GB per month data allocation, you will be very sorry. From their "Savings" page:

That 5 cents per MB translates to $50 per GB.
Vastly cheaper than an At&T or Verizon global data plan.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Anna Phor
Hoping I can get some good ideas or advice from the flyertalk brains trust.

This is a gift for my father, who travels frequently internationally, and often stays in out-of-the way places that might have commercial wireless phone networks available but not readily accessible internet connections. So I'm trying to solve the device + plan problem.

Looking for a device that can be used in US, EU, and Australia, and can be hooked up with temporary plans in these places (e.g. Virgin has pay by the month plans--but it's unclear from their website if you need to buy their hardware to get that plan, and also if you do, will the hardware work in other countries?)

Any advice welcome!!

Huh. Not sure why my thread was moved by the mod to the end of this one, which seems to be about routing wifi to multiple devices in Croatia ... ? An explanation would be much welcomed!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.