Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone for Verizon (US) and Orange (FR)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by dtsm
Vz is probably one of the most locked carriers but I'm sure there are folks out there that can unlock the sim hardware. If the Vz iPhone does sim card in it, I'm sure it will be a hot topic
Get the most locked down dumb smartphone with the most locked down and expensive carrier - Verizon.

That'll sell well, as there are a lot of stupid consumers.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had an iPad with AT&T and it is far SLOWER than my VZW Droid phone. It is horrible compared to VZW.

But I won't be getting an iPhone. I love the Droid platform. And VZW has terrific coverage and I'd rather pay more for that. I want the best. Personally a hundred bucks a month or whatever difference (if that) isn't worth bothering with. I'll take the best network.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
The Wall Street Journal has jumped on the announcement coming Tuesday for the Verizon Iphone bandwagon.

I don't see them releasing it with everything out of the gate. It's not how they usually operate. They need to get people hooked into a two year contract, then upgrade the phone causing everybody to pay full price for a new phone with the new features.

The Journal (not that they know any better than anybody else, just that they are read by far more people than the tech blogs) is saying it will be CDMA only.

Guess we will all know tomorrow.
No, it doesn't make sense for them to do them both at the same time. I think they want to send one clear message about one product.

AT&T is acting like it's coming

In a statement to Silicon Alley Insider, AT&T spokesman Larry Solomon noted that AT&T's wireless technology allows for faster download speeds than Verizon.

"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA iPhone," he said. "I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."
Yeah, well, if you can't get a signal in the first place, it's a little pointless.

The joke would be on AT&T, again, if it is an LTE iPhone. AT&T had a chance to better the product through its network, but they botched that one.

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Get the most locked down dumb smartphone with the most locked down and expensive carrier - Verizon.

That'll sell well, as there are a lot of stupid consumers.
I find it ironic that you, boaster of how frequently you purchase new phones, now express concern about cost.

That's pretty funny, actually.

What's even funnier is that you're saying something regarding the hardware of a phone that hasn't even been released, or even officially acknowledged, by Verizon. Not a single spec or review about the phone is out there.

That's pretty funny too.

Originally Posted by richard
I've had an iPad with AT&T and it is far SLOWER than my VZW Droid phone. It is horrible compared to VZW.

But I won't be getting an iPhone. I love the Droid platform. And VZW has terrific coverage and I'd rather pay more for that. I want the best. Personally a hundred bucks a month or whatever difference (if that) isn't worth bothering with. I'll take the best network.
One of the reasons why when I get my iPad2 later this year, I'm not going to bother with the network connection, and just get the Wi-Fi version.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2

I find it ironic that you, boaster of how frequently you purchase new phones, now express concern about cost.

That's pretty funny, actually.

What's even funnier is that you're saying something regarding the hardware of a phone that hasn't even been released, or even officially acknowledged, by Verizon. Not a single spec or review about the phone is out there.

That's pretty funny too.

You must have missed something in the analysis... the cost of service FAR OUTWEIGHS the cost of the device. How can I afford to buy a lot of phones?? By using the best value services for my money!! Those would be T-Mobile and Sprint.

If I threw my money away on Verizon, I'd be eating Ramen noodles and be standing on street corners with a cardboard sign asking for help.

I have no idea what your point is about the hardware not being release? IF there is a Verizon iPhone (a big IF), doubt Apple would change its ways with iOS and make it all open like Android. If you doubt that Apple would keep it locked down, you must be on drugs.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
AT&T is acting like it's coming

In a statement to Silicon Alley Insider, AT&T spokesman Larry Solomon noted that AT&T's wireless technology allows for faster download speeds than Verizon.

"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA iPhone," he said. "I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."
Ouch, dont know how true it is, but if it is, Ill stick with my Droid.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
Ouch, dont know how true it is, but if it is, Ill stick with my Droid.
The statement is more of a dig that anything else, pointed towards the carrier more than the phone (AT&T has a lot of nerve to talk smack about another carrier's network, given all the well-documented issues with its own network).

Yes, there have been some tests (please do not ask me for links, I just remember headlines) that while Verizon has more 3G coverage than AT&T, the actual speeds are faster on AT&T. That was also the message on the massive campaign AT&T launched after Verizon thumbed its nose at AT&T.

The other thing is that nobody knows, as of this writing, whether the Verizon iPhone will be on just 3G CDMA or 4G LTE. There's actually a subplot to that. It could be 3G now, but another release in the summer it could be LTE. Then again, Verizon could get its phone now, then AT&T gets their new one, iPhone 5, this summer.

Only a little over four more hours of speculation to go.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
It doesn't look like the VZ phone will be a world phone with a GSM chip in it, in other words it will pretty much only work Stateside. Can anyone confirm?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Wall Street Journal:

Live Blog Recap: Verizon’s iPhone Announcement
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by adambadam
It doesn't look like the VZ phone will be a world phone with a GSM chip in it, in other words it will pretty much only work Stateside. Can anyone confirm?

CDMA only, not LTE or GSM at this time.

From the question and answer session earlier

Why didn't you go the LTE route?

Tim: Two reasons -- the first gen LTW chipsets force design changes we wouldn't make. And Verizon customers told us they want the iPhone now. I can't tell you the number of times we've been asked 'when will it work on Verizon.'

Which as ScottC pointed out in the other thread

Translation: if we add LTE now, we won't have any reason to sell the Verizon iPhone 4LTE next Christmas.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Well, I was certain it wouldn't happen, but it did, and I was wrong.

I am a little dissapointed in the details, however; being able to surf the net or use maps or send a text or perform some other task while I'm talking on the phone has been one of my iPhone's greatest strengths. Since this is not yet possible on Verizon's network - and I didn't realize until today that it's not possible on ANY Verizon smart phone - I guess I'll be sticking with AT&T for a while longer.

Cook specifically mentioned the antenna: "it has to be optimized to work on CDMA network, and it's going to do a great job of that." I wonder if that means that they also corrected the Antennagate flaw for this version of iPhone 4? Maybe by moving the antenna to the UPPER housing instead of the LOWER housing, where everybody holds the phone?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Well, I was certain it wouldn't happen, but it did, and I was wrong.

No one is gloating. It's not like this is the AA forum.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
No one is gloating. It's not like this is the AA forum.
So I can expect no "Nya-nya" in here?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note the Verizon iPhone is a non-exclusive relationship.

Regarding iPhone on Verizon, it was predicted since 2007. Only 4 years later, boy were people right... LOL
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by adambadam
Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally.

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally.

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

The countries on the chart are parts of Central and South America, the Caribbean, and parts of Asia. Western Europe and the most of the Middle East aren't on the chart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.