Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone for Verizon (US) and Orange (FR)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
Rick Brodia of CNET and dozens of other sources are reporting the CNET story as a possibility. There are 365 days in the year with 7 of them already gone, take away Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving, there's probably an equal chance of it being any of the remaining 355 days, so as I clearly stated, it's a general rumor. ZD Net and others are saying February 3, then adds maybe not, that could just be Ipad 2 announced. Until it happens, nobody will know.

I never said they attended CES, but they wanted to announce during it to take away from the people who are announcing stuff at CES.

As reported by CNET:

During this weekend’s 2011 CES, he says, Apple will steal some thunder by announcing a product-launch event on Tuesday, January 11. (That’s 1/11/11, if you’re into numerology.) At that event, the company will finally announce the long-awaited Verizon iPhone. (Cue “Hallelujah” chorus.)

Alas, this is all just hearsay, and while a lot of it seems reasonable–likely, even–there’s still no official word from either Apple or Verizon.

Vendors have pages with Verizon's logo for their accessories, Skype has a help page on how to make video calls on the Verizon iphone, and Verizon has purchased domain names like iphoneforverizon.com.

It's coming, it's just a question of when.
Okay, gotcha.

I don't doubt for a minute some folks from Apple are in Vegas right now, but to make an announcement? I kind of doubt that. I think Steve Jobs wants to take center stage and make sure those product debuts and announcements have has picture on it, and are extremely well-orchestrated to get maximum attention. To say, effectively, "meet us at the Venetian at X room at X time" doesn't fit, in my opinion.

Now, since this is sort-of on topic, and this rumor just came out, BGR.com is saying that the Verizon iPhone will come out February 3rd. They have been wrong before, especially on Verizon iPhone stuff, but it's interesting nonetheless. The timing of the announcement, right after the big announcements from HTC, Motorola and Samsung, make sense that Apple would leak something like this, and depend on total tools like me to promote it in the Apple way.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There is little doubt that all these "leaks" or at least most of them, are carefully orchestrated marketing moves. Really, think about it. CES this year probably has more stuff coming out than most recent years, and what's everybody talking about? A product not even seen there, that may or may not be coming soon, that everybody is already familiar with, the Verizon Iphone.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Try Android. I too have iPhones and iPod Touches, but Android is vastly superior to iOS, and is "idiot proof" as well.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is little doubt that all these "leaks" or at least most of them, are carefully orchestrated marketing moves. Really, think about it. CES this year probably has more stuff coming out than most recent years, and what's everybody talking about? A product not even seen there, that may or may not be coming soon, that everybody is already familiar with, the Verizon Iphone.
Completely agree.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:35 pm

I'm sure some one is "accidentally" leaving a prototype Verizon iPhone in the press room at the Consumer & Electronics show right now.

To bring the issue back home, however, what is the chance version 1.0 of a CDMA iPhone will support 2100mhz HSPA?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I'm pretty sure that launching the Mac App Store was the big shot at CES. It is extremely unlikely they they would announce the new Verizon iPhone so soon after that. The best bet is the last week of January or the first week of February with a late Feb launch date. Of course no one is more paranoid than Apple about secrecy -- so anyone who really knows isn't saying.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I already have my Verizon iPhone sitting gathering dust in my drawer. Next to my RAZR.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
I already have my Verizon iPhone sitting gathering dust in my drawer. Next to my RAZR.
Interesting post over at dslreports.com:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/A...S-To-49-112133
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:26 pm

It's here!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=djemalertTECH
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:44 pm

The leak has turned into a waterfall.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
OP, like you I also have both VZW and Orange France service and I also own two phones. What's the big deal? How often do you have both with you at the same time? It's not like your carrying two iPads.

VZW does have a few phones with both CDMA and GSM capability. (A friend showed me his Blackberry recently that has a SIM in the back.) But a question to which I do not know the answer is:

Are the Verizon CDMA/GSM phones unlocked to permit the use of a different network? (This question presumes that if VZW locked the GSM side of the phone it would be locked to them or Vodaphone, their partner.)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Verizon iPhone this week? Incredibly unlikely.

Apple signed a 5-year contract with AT&T in 2007. This contract was made public as part of the discovery phase of a class action lawsuit against Apple in mid-2010. 2007+5=2012. Ergo, the earliest that Apple could possibly release a Verizon iPhone is 2012, when the 5-year exclusivity clause of the AT&T contract is up.

Now, some have pointed out that the original 5-year exclusive contract COULD have been amended in the 4 years since it was signed, and sure, it could have been. But if it had been, wouldn't that amendment have also been disclosed to the plaintiffs during the discovery phase of the class action lawsuit? Since the lawsuit specifically deals with the exclusivity issue, any amendments to the AT&T exclusive contract would have been discovered to the plaintiffs, otherwise Apple could face some stiff legal penalties.

Likelihood of a Verizon iPhone in 2011: 5%.

I do think it very likely, however, that the announcement will be about an iPad with 3G connectivity, on the Verizon network.

After all, the old "Verizon iPhone" rumors got a kick start a few months ago when it was revealed that Apple had bought up a large number of Verizon-compatible CDMA chipsets, Verizon is already selling Wi-Fi iPads now, and the iPad is not covered by any exclusivity agreement with AT&T or any other reseller or provider. And what iPad fan wouldn't want an iPad with 3G Verizon connectivity?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Verizon iPhone this week? Incredibly unlikely.

Apple signed a 5-year contract with AT&T in 2007. This contract was made public as part of the discovery phase of a class action lawsuit against Apple in mid-2010. 2007+5=2012. Ergo, the earliest that Apple could possibly release a Verizon iPhone is 2012, when the 5-year exclusivity clause of the AT&T contract is up.

Now, some have pointed out that the original 5-year exclusive contract COULD have been amended in the 4 years since it was signed, and sure, it could have been. But if it had been, wouldn't that amendment have also been disclosed to the plaintiffs during the discovery phase of the class action lawsuit?
That depends. Show me the original discovery demand and any subsequent modifications by the court and I can give you my professional opinion.

Since the lawsuit specifically deals with the exclusivity issue, any amendments to the AT&T exclusive contract would have been discovered to [sic] the plaintiffs, otherwise Apple could face some stiff legal penalties.
Not necessarily. Depends again on what was requested, ordered and produced.

Likelihood of a Verizon iPhone in 2011: 5%.

I do think it very likely, however, that the announcement will be about an iPad with 3G connectivity, on the Verizon network.
The Wall Street Journal disagrees with you. Oh well.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
OP, like you I also have both VZW and Orange France service and I also own two phones. What's the big deal? How often do you have both with you at the same time? It's not like your carrying two iPads.

VZW does have a few phones with both CDMA and GSM capability. (A friend showed me his Blackberry recently that has a SIM in the back.) But a question to which I do not know the answer is:

Are the Verizon CDMA/GSM phones unlocked to permit the use of a different network? (This question presumes that if VZW locked the GSM side of the phone it would be locked to them or Vodaphone, their partner.)
By default it is locked but if you're a customer in good standing Verizon will gladly give you the unlock code. I've done this literally twelve times with various new and warranty replacement headsets.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Landing Gear

By default it is locked but if you're a customer in good standing Verizon will gladly give you the unlock code. I've done this literally twelve times with various new and warranty replacement headsets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.