Oh No! XMarks is Undone!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh No! XMarks is Undone!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I DLed XMarks as a result of reading about it here. I guess I need to get Firefox sync.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Sure there is - what do you call Firefox?
hahaha, you forget the smiley face.

Were you serious? Do you honestly think there's a long term sustainable model for free software that doesn't have any possible revenue stream associated with it? (I think you have to consider university or government support a revenue source for this.)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 30, 2010 at 1:58 am
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
According to this article in wired.com, Xmarks may survive as a paid service. They're looking for 100,000 people to pledge $10 each to keep it going. If you pledge and they don't get enough, it doesn't cost you a thing. If it tips, the $10 buys a year's subscription (or, I think, you can even duck out on your pledge).
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is. I'd pay $10-15/year for Xmarks, but that might not be enough.

Still, I signed the petition. Only 95,000 more people to go!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Latest update from cnet.com here. First two paragraphs of article:

The public announcement last month that browser bookmark sync company Xmarks was out of money and options and preparing to shut down may be the thing that saves the service, even while the company itself ceases to exist.

CEO James Joaquin has been uncommonly forthright in his blog about the events, miscalculations, and market changes that led to the failure of the Xmarks business. He also told me he's been gratified and surprised by the serious interest he's been getting from potential acquirers now that the company has stated it has no independent future. Joaquin said in a blog post today that he now has "multiple offers on the table" from potential acquiring companies and that he expects no service interruption...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:32 am

Google Chrome has a sync feature (in addition to Firefox as mentioned previously in this topic). Another solution is to install a "portable" browser to a flash drive, and just run off that when you use other computers.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
Google Chrome has a sync feature (in addition to Firefox as mentioned previously in this topic). Another solution is to install a "portable" browser to a flash drive, and just run off that when you use other computers.
The genius of xmarks was that it was cross-platform, so one could sync IE, safari, firefox, etc. on different or the same computers. The built-in sync features require the same browser on all computers, which may not work if you, e.g., are stuck with a certain browser on your work computer.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wired.com
Xmarks Lives: LastPass Buys Downtrodden Bookmark Syncing Service

Just when we all thought wed never see it again, the cross-browser bookmark syncing service Xmarks has received a life-saving injection.

The company has been acquired by LastPass, maker of a cross-browser password manager and form filler add-on. The deal was announced Thursday, and terms were not disclosed.

Xmarks will live on as a freemium service. The initial cross-browser syncing tool youre already familiar with will be free, but users will be encouraged to upgrade to a paid subscription to unlock ...
Full article here.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
I am thinking of signing up for the XMarks/LastPass combo. Any opinions about LastPass?

The cost is small and I don't mind helping them stay in business.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
I am thinking of signing up for the XMarks/LastPass combo. Any opinions about LastPass?

The cost is small and I don't mind helping them stay in business.
I signed up for LastPass Premium and added XMarks earlier this month. I have been using LastPass since April or so and I love it. It is by far better than anything else I have tried and has some very nice security features for travelers. I have recommended them to everyone in my family and many of my co-workers.

On the downside the BB version can be greatly improved and the iPhone version is not as seamless as the web (FF or IE) versions.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by Sagy
I signed up for LastPass Premium and added XMarks earlier this month. I have been using LastPass since April or so and I love it. It is by far better than anything else I have tried and has some very nice security features for travelers. I have recommended them to everyone in my family and many of my co-workers.

On the downside the BB version can be greatly improved and the iPhone version is not as seamless as the web (FF or IE) versions.
Are you referring to XMarks or LastPass Premium for iPhone (or both)?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
Are you referring to XMarks or LastPass Premium for iPhone (or both)?
LastPass
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Now Lastpass says they're dropping Xmarks.

Will yet someone else pick it up?

Xmarks update
On May 1, 2018, we will be shutting down Xmarks. Your account will remain active until then, including the syncing of your bookmarks. After that date, your bookmarks should remain in any previously accessed browser, but they will no longer sync and your account will be deactivated.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
I have been paying for Xmarks premium service since 2010. Well worth the 3 year/$36! I hope they will find a way to survive.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
https://alternativeto.net/software/xmarks/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.