Oh No! XMarks is Undone!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Oh No! XMarks is Undone!

Just showed up in my inbox:

Originally Posted by XMarks
Dear Xmarks User,

We've always said we won't email you unless it's important; this is one of those occasions:

Xmarks will be shutting down our free browser synchronization services on January 10, 2011. For details on how to transition to recommended alternatives, consult this page.

For the full story behind the Xmarks shutdown, please read our blog post.

Thank you for being a part of the Xmarks community; we apologize for any inconvenience this step may cause you. We believe we have the best users in the world, and we hope your bookmarks find a new and happy home soon.

Asynchronously,

— The Xmarks Team
I have 4 computers in my house synced with this. What a drag.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:00 pm

I feel your pain as well.

I use it over a bunch of computers and more importantly for cross browser syncing.

I'm presently having a look at http://www.diigo.com/ as an alternative.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Oh no...I use Xmarks to sync a Linux box, a Windows XP laptop, a Windows 7 machine, and a Mac mini, all running Firefox and the Windows boxes running IE also, and it has been a godsend.

I will be sad to see Xmarks go.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ditto.

I'm sure there's an alternative, but Xmarks was always pretty handy across my 3-4 Windows/Linux machines.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
Oh no...I use Xmarks to sync a Linux box, a Windows XP laptop, a Windows 7 machine, and a Mac mini, all running Firefox and the Windows boxes running IE also, and it has been a godsend.

I will be sad to see Xmarks go.
You can sync all the firefoxes using firefox sync. But we are loosing the x-browser sync.

Apparently there is no sustainable business model for giving away your product for free.

-David
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sad, I've been using Xmarks for a while. I really liked their "sync sets" of different sync settings for different computers.

Firefox Sync seems pretty good, though doesn't sync anything but Firefox.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
They lost me around the time Foxmarks became Xmarks. I'd been very happy with Foxmarks, syncing my local bookmarks to one of my web servers. I didn't want Alexa, to report and rank my visits; I didn't want Digg, to share and discuss them. The developers seemed to want both, to monetize their product. That's entirely within their right, but they ended up ruining it.

Recent versions seemed to get worse and worse on all measures: heavier, more intrusive, requiring unrestricted Javascript access, cluttered with "ratings" and "smarter search" and other unwanted junk-- whose privacy you had to set actively, Facebook-style. Meanwhile, my syncs were choking on extended characters, sometimes producing hundreds of duplicates.

The Mozilla.org reviews since about Feb. 2009 are telling-- 4 and 5 stars from new users, and rather more dismal figures from upgraders.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You can sync all the firefoxes using firefox sync. But we are loosing the x-browser sync.

Apparently there is no sustainable business model for giving away your product for free.

-David
Sure there is - what do you call Firefox?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It lks like it's time to install Firefox Sync...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: None anymore
If you are just needing to sync 1 set of bookmarks across multiple machines there are other options then the dedicated bookmark sync add ons. You are probably using one of them already!
Options to sync book marks across multiple machines(Just a few examples):
1. Drop Box
2. Sugar Sync
3. XDrive
4. ADrive
5. Sky Drive ( MS Live service)

Yes it will involve a little work with some services.
Basically you move your bookmarks folder to were one of the above listed services sync`s and change your browser to look for its bookmarks there. Presto sync`d book marks.

Sugar sync can be told what folders to sync on a system so no real work other then right click on the bookmarks folder and add to sugar sync.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Flahusky
If you are just needing to sync 1 set of bookmarks across multiple machines there are other options then the dedicated bookmark sync add ons. You are probably using one of them already!
Options to sync book marks across multiple machines(Just a few examples):
1. Drop Box
2. Sugar Sync
3. XDrive
4. ADrive
5. Sky Drive ( MS Live service)

Yes it will involve a little work with some services.
Basically you move your bookmarks folder to were one of the above listed services sync`s and change your browser to look for its bookmarks there. Presto sync`d book marks.

Sugar sync can be told what folders to sync on a system so no real work other then right click on the bookmarks folder and add to sugar sync.
Sounds like a very IE-centric solution In Firefox for example, bookmarks are not stored as individual files in a folder like they are in IE. Your solution above, if it is only based on syncing folders, will not work - I have not looked at these products in detail to see if they have a specific feature for bookmarks though...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I too will miss xmarks, but since I've transitioned almost universally to Chrome (except for the few throwback sites coded to work only with IE) I've just switched to Chrome's built-in sync.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Sure there is - what do you call Firefox?
Mozilla Corp. doesn't give their product away for free -- their product is eyeballs-using-Google, for which they get paid a direct commission. Firefox is just their trojan horse for getting you to manufacture product for them.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Sad day

I have it on 7 computers, 3 locations and three browsers on each....so sad!

By the way, Dropbox is awesome too!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by lairdb
Mozilla Corp. doesn't give their product away for free -- their product is eyeballs-using-Google, for which they get paid a direct commission. Firefox is just their trojan horse for getting you to manufacture product for them.
Well, OK then.

CCleaner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.