Wiki Posts
Search

Need a new "house" Netbook - buying in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Question Need a new "house" Netbook - buying in the UK

My old iBook is slowly dying and needs replacing.

I can't/don't want to spend Apple money on a replacement.

Need a small Laptop (11.6"+) to go from kitchen to lounge. Gmail, Web Browsing and the odd open office document. Probably won't leave the house with it.

I do not want an iPad! I want flash and fully featured web browsing with a keyboard. I don't need apps (other than my iPhone).

At least 3 hours battery life for convenience.

Don't want to spend more than £350. Happy to spend less, would like it to last at least 3 years before replacement.

Can wait if there are newer models coming out with better price/performance in the next 3 months.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAN Pax

Any suggestions?
I'm typing this on my 6mo old Lenovo s10-2.

Paid 175USD shipped directly from Shanghai.

I'm loving it.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:42 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
Yesterday I ordered the Lenovo X100e with the Turion Dual-core 1.6GHZ processor, I'm still waiting for it, so can't give much more feedback. I know they have a single core processor version (Neo MV-40 1.6 GHZ) that should easily be within your price range.

At 11.6 inches with a full keyboard, It's positioned as an entry level ultra-portable, above most netbooks for performance, but below most ultra-portables for cost. It comes with 1-4 GB of memory and hard drives up to 320 Gb.

The selling points for me were the light weight (less than three pounds) and portability with a more robust processor than a traditional netbook would have.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
At your price point, virtually every netbook comes within range with cash to spare.

They've improved significantly since the old days and, to me, they're all pretty good now. Any 6 cell model should last 4-5 hours in real world conditions.

Just find a model with a keyboard you like and wait for it to go on sale.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The Samsung NB30 should cover your requirements (the screen is 10.1 in though) and is 'toughened' since you mentioned the kitchen. The reviewer at Reg Hardware tipped a glass of water on the keyboard (and quickly tipped it off) to no obvious ill effect. The review can be found here and it can have touchscreen as an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.